U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM

105 posts, read 145,772 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I started with the Tarot of Marseilles as a good "starting point" and branched out from there. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 05:39 AM

88 posts, read 22,630 times
Hi Julesar,

Some who use Tarot like the esoteric Thoth Deck:-

https://fatecaster.com/2017/07/20/co...ister-crowley/

Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,443,467 times
I've tried a lot of decks, but my personal favorite is the Universal Waite. I use it for all my client readings.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 PM

2,214 posts, read 873,176 times
The first deck I used was the Rider-Waite; this was the one that I learned to do readings with.

I've also used the Thoth deck and the Voyager deck.

There's been a couple of others but those are the main ones.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,928,756 times
I think if you are starting out, then a 'simple' one with clear images (such as Rider-Waite deck) is probably the best to start with. Then you can move on to a deck which callls to you.

When I learned we were taught to keep a dream diary and focus on one major card a week and to write down all the dreams we had during the week. The idea is that the subconscious mind will make associations with the symbols in the card and bring it all out in dreams. Obviously you take account of the pre-meanings and not just make up your own stuff though.

There have been many many poeople from occult societies who have mapped out the meanings of the symbols on the cards so they are probably pretty well known by now. The dreaming just gets a deeper meaning of them and allows you to understand the card better.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:06 PM

105 posts, read 145,772 times
interesting suggestion on the dream diary. I may have to try that. the thoth deck is probably a bit beyond my scope right now although it is beautiful...

Old 07-09-2018, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 859 times
I used to do tarot cards, but they brought bad luck. I would lose things, get bad college grades and get into arguments with people. All sorts of terrible things happened, so I got rid of my deck. Sometimes I still do Oracle cards. I've had no problems with them.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,469,816 times
Started with the rider-waith, and now have a thoth, which isn't a beginner deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to start with the Tarot?-thothdeckinstructions.jpg  

Old 07-14-2018, 05:21 PM

3,747 posts, read 5,744,521 times
I have been reading Tarot for near 30 years now. I started with a Native American deck and a later got Legends. Now I have about 30 decks that I use and half that which are just part of the collection. Marseille is a challenging deck to start with as it has no imagery on the pips to work with in regards to the meaning of the card as many people like to have those visual clues. Plus it helps for one to read intuitively when there is some sort of scene to feed off of.

When I started to learn, I just kept a detailed journal of the readings that did.
Once I started to get the hang of it I changed how I journaled. Instead of just writing what I found in books and the thoughts I had, I started with what came to me when I saw the cards- then I would go to the books and add in things that were pertinent to my question.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 PM

56 posts, read 20,490 times
I just started with the Universal Fantasy Tarot deck. I barely know what I'm doing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal