U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:07 PM

26,916 posts, read 58,068,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
What if it is the equivalent of analog TV transmissions vs our current HDTV transmissions?
Or they prefer the analog signal that we've largely abandoned now.
Quote:
What if these other species somehow discovered "faster-than-light" transmission and simply assume
that any signals received not using this other method must come from an uncivilized horde?
This is the one, "faster-than-light" travel, that the Vulcans required for first contact.

But I'm still intrigued with the thread title idea: being too fed up to keep looking...
One of the first really new ideas I've ever seen on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM

3,785 posts, read 7,241,893 times
Less UFO sightings being reported could mean that the older generation of UFO fanatics whose brains are shaped by science fiction movies have died out.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM

5,498 posts, read 6,443,239 times
It is unlikely that there are any 'aliens' out there within any sort of reasonable distance for communication, let alone visitation. Even if there *are* other life-forms, either in our own galaxy or some other, there is no reason to assume that they would be any more advanced than we are. How many billions of years has it taken for us to appear and get to where we are now? Why should we assume that any other life-form(s) has/have managed to progress any more rapidly?

And if there *had* been any alien visitations, they would have probably marked their maps with the notation "Stay away from these murderous little bleeps."

Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 PM

15,117 posts, read 19,764,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It is unlikely that there are any 'aliens' out there within any sort of reasonable distance for communication, let alone visitation. Even if there *are* other life-forms, either in our own galaxy or some other, there is no reason to assume that they would be any more advanced than we are. How many billions of years has it taken for us to appear and get to where we are now? Why should we assume that any other life-form(s) has/have managed to progress any more rapidly?
There are plenty of reasons to suppose it is possible other civilizations out there are more advanced by thousands or even millions of years.

Perhaps their world developed life far earlier than ours did.

Our own world has been shaped by mass extinctions where the most advanced life forms were wiped out. Many times actually. Perhaps the same is not true on other worlds.

Perhaps they learned early on not to prey on their own kind, that it was better to cooperate, so they advanced faster.

Or perhaps it is some reason we have no way of knowing.

It's all just speculation.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM

3,003 posts, read 791,722 times
The answer is so obvious. Trump scared them away when he announced the "Space force." Rest easy people. We are safe. Trump saved us from Alien enslavement.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:28 PM

15,117 posts, read 19,764,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The answer is so obvious. Trump scared them away when he announced the "Space force." Rest easy people. We are safe. Trump saved us from Alien enslavement.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:55 PM

3,024 posts, read 1,269,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
We have been trying for contact for decades, from the voyager probe to radio waves. They even had a program for a while where people could beam thier own messaged to space. That actually would keep them away if they recieved it though! They would be convinced we were all nuts.
Oh man, I can't even!

How the heck would they communicate with the aliens? In natural languages, like voice or text? Morse code? Radio waves? Light pulses? Do aliens even use these communication methods, let alone understand them? It sounds cool in principle, but it's gotta be a gimmick, if that.

The only saving grace is that there's only one set of wave frequencies in the entire universe---the electromagnetic spectrum---which is shared by humans and aliens. On which note, let's say we sent a single 400-MHz radio wave, without knowing it means "ck you" in alien-speak. How would we humans talk our way out of that one?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-03-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 PM

4,708 posts, read 2,319,400 times
Hmmm....maybe the aliens have all they need to know about us and now they're consolidating their info before they attack.

Or...maybe we were the extraterrestrial entertainment as they went by in their paid tours of the universe and maybe a massive war or depression is cutting into their funds so they don't travel as much.

Or...maybe the price of humans and cattle has dropped so they don't need to abscond with as many of us as before.

Or...maybe their political heads are as obtuse as ours and the Earth Study didn't get it's allocated funding this decade.

I could go on, but do you really want me to?
Attached Thumbnails
The aliens are getting fed up with Earth-tlc23.png  

Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,993,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
Only human arrogance presumes they would want to. I walk my dog daily. I see lots of squirrels, chipmunks, ants, moths, mosquitoes, and even the occasional toad and snake and firefly. If I'm in the mood, I might even stop to watch. Not once have I ever stopped and attempted to communicate with the chipmunks. Their psyches are so different than ours that real communication isn't even possible. The same would likely hold true of any highly advanced ETs.
No, but I bet you talk to your dog and expect her to understand you. Example: That ape which died recently could communicate by sign language - because it had been taught it of course, but you are assuming that we have to communicate through language which is NOT the way to go. What we call "Telepathy" is the universal language and so we should get our act together to learn that.

Really, we limit ourselves so much by blocking out all of the things which we believe we cannot do, there is supposed to be 90-95% of our brain which is unused, so there is massive potential for improvement in other areas, plus the potential for amazing things developed through communication with our unconscious mind.

As far as MUFON and the declining reported UFO numbers, it does not really make any difference - you only need one reported sighting which involves real aliens seen by multiple people and documented by radar. All the rest which are perhaps questionable reports dont matter.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 AM

3,024 posts, read 1,269,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
No, but I bet you talk to your dog and expect her to understand you. Example: That ape which died recently could communicate by sign language - because it had been taught it of course, but you are assuming that we have to communicate through language which is NOT the way to go. What we call "Telepathy" is the universal language and so we should get our act together to learn that.

Really, we limit ourselves so much by blocking out all of the things which we believe we cannot do, there is supposed to be 90-95% of our brain which is unused, so there is massive potential for improvement in other areas, plus the potential for amazing things developed through communication with our unconscious mind.
The "10% of our brain" is a myth. (See: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-ten-percent-myth/) Also, it's not impossible that aliens don't care to communicate with us, any more than we care to communicate with, say, chipmunks. For all we know, the Earth's atmosphere and/or temperature could be deadly to aliens. Not unlike humans trying to live on Mars or on Titan (Saturn's biggest satellite, with a dense, nontoxic atmosphere, but cold enough to liquefy methane).

And telepathy? Sorry, not sorry, I don't care for metaphysics. If we want to communicate with aliens, whether for scientific benefit or out of morbid curiosity, our best bet is the electromagnetic spectrum. After all, it's all the same waves, and anyone can use them, be they human or alien. Heck, animals use electromagnetic waves for daily functions. Like dolphins with their echolocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or