Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:48 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think we shouldn't be so eager to make contact with just anyone/anything from Out There. You never know what you might be inviting in, by doing that.
Exactly! Like I said earlier, what if a 400-MHz radio wave means "ck you!" or "hit us with an asteroid!" in alien-speak? (400 MHz wasn't arbitrary; I mentioned it because it's a frequency musicians often use for tuning their instruments.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think we shouldn't be so eager to make contact with just anyone/anything from Out There. You never know what you might be inviting in, by doing that.
Like the Idirans in the late Iain Banks' Culture stories, a species of top predators who are religious fanatics, and whose culture revolves around waging galactic jihad against the infidels?

It's not too hard imagining alien cultures who we should be cautious when encountering. Why so many think aliens would be benevolent "sky gods" is beyond me - it's making assumptions about the influence of technology and knowledge of the future evolution of alien societies that certainly aren't supported by our own civilization. It's confusing knowledge and technology with wisdom. And if we omnivores can be so violent, what might a society of highly intelligent top predators look like?

Old 07-04-2018, 01:59 PM

276 posts, read 222,012 times
There's nothing implausible about aliens having found our planet and hanging around watching it. We send probes, landers, manned missions, why not other civilizations? There's a number of false beliefs held why aliens couldn't possibly exist or have found us, so lets look at them:
#1 Life is so rare, it probably only exist here. Well, we don't know exactly how rare, nor the process it forms de-novo, but given that there are BILLIONS of stars in our galaxy alone, and BILLIONS of galaxies, and could have formed anytime over the BILLIONS of years before us, seems like saying we are the ONLY life in the universe is too improbable to be true.

#2 The distances between the stars in our galaxy is too large to permit travel in our lifetimes. Well this has several false assumptions! a. What if they have figured out how to live forever, or if the UFO's are cybernetic machines that do not age or can repair themselves? Travelling for long times then is no problem. b. From the theory of relativity, as you travel faster, closer to the speed of light, time slows and it can take just weeks, days to travel to alpha centauri, rather than 4 years at light speed, as viewed from the Earth. c. If the aliens had developed their technologies millions of years ahead of us, they would have had plenty of time to multiply their craft and fill the entire galaxy, travel to every star to search for other life.

#3 Why don't aliens contact us? Well, likely because they look at us as primitive beasts, who would try to destroy THEM! This is certainly true, as evidenced by how we conduct ourselves in daily life and around the world, the misery, destruction, war, evils every day!

Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Exactly! Like I said earlier, what if a 400-MHz radio wave means "ck you!" or "hit us with an asteroid!" in alien-speak? (400 MHz wasn't arbitrary; I mentioned it because it's a frequency musicians often use for tuning their instruments.)
Really?

I would like to know how this is possible. I play several instruments, and I cannot imagine how 400MHz could be useful for tuning any instrument, whether it's a radio wave or any other.

Further more, a 400MHz radio wave is inherently meaningless by itself, it is merely a frequency in the EM spectrum. In order to be useful it must be modulated, have information encoded onto it by some means.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
It's amazing people who are reasonably intelligent otherwise lose all that when it comes to subject of E.T. Basic biology, chemistry, and physics are totally disregarded.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Perhaps they left physical bodies behind millennia ago and now communicate on the quantum level? Or some level we won't even discover for 10,000 years?
Until we actually meet the ETs, there is simply no way to know.
And yet when I say the NASA images of 'dust devils' are these, everyone thinks I am nuts.

Quote:
Baseless assertion. You have zero evidence for that. You might as well claim that Twinkies are the universal currency
Except that all biological aliens which end up here are going to have some kind of intelligence and brain which probably works at some level by elecrtical activity of some kind. So there is a base for this assertion - more so than any of yours which are based on physical senses as a communicational means which some may have and some may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillenialUrbanist
The entire universe uses the same radio waves.
EXACTLY why they probaby would NOT use that to transport their important message AND because it moves slowly at the speed of light taking far too long to get across galaxies. You do not seem to think in terms of vast distances when thinking of this. Light speed is WAY TOO SLOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1
It's amazing people who are reasonably intelligent otherwise lose all that when it comes to subject of E.T. Basic biology, chemistry, and physics are totally disregarded.
Not really, biological aliens are going to have some kind of intelligence centre whether it is chemical, electrical or biological. Most of that biology is probably too slow as a means of communication so some kind of 'spiritual' means has to be developed as well which can be used over uncountable distances. Radio waves travelling at light speed is just not going to do it so it HAS to be some way which we are not yet using (in public use anyway).

Old 07-04-2018, 07:47 PM

107 posts, read 67,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The government docs released prove that the government knows something is going on, but they are as baffled as the rest of us. There has been zero proof of aliens in any government docs....
And you think the GOVERNMENT is the best example of intelligence on this planet?!
Seems to me they'd be the last to know, based on intelligence!

But the truth is even the dumb government knows, they just are not releasing documents that PROVE what they know!

Read the book by Philip J. Corso - The Day After Roswell. Granted, it's not "proof" but it's true. Read it and decide for yourself - only after reading it!

Too many people dismiss aliens and ufo's without ever researching the subject. If you plan to answer me saying how wrong I am please provide at least one good book you've read about UFO's that did not convince you. I'll provide at least 2 more that may.

I've personally known UFO researchers and people who were abducted by aliens so I'm pretty convinced that at least some UFO's have alien pilots.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:10 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
#1 Life is so rare, it probably only exist here. Well, we don't know exactly how rare, nor the process it forms de-novo, but given that there are BILLIONS of stars in our galaxy alone, and BILLIONS of galaxies, and could have formed anytime over the BILLIONS of years before us, seems like saying we are the ONLY life in the universe is too improbable to be true.
Astronomy is proving that assumption more and more false each year. When I was a kid, I remember all the top astronomers telling us that solid planets were rare in the universe, that planets in the "Goldilocks zone" were exceedingly rare.

Now that we have the technology to have a look, not only are we finding that solid planets are ABUNDANT in the universe, but every year were are finding more and more planets in the Goldilocks zone --- some of them not all that far away.

According to the science, it is looking more and more like not only is the possibility of life out there very good, but the possibility of abundant life out there is pretty good.

Whether or not that life out there is intelligent is anyone's guess.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:12 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
And by the way, we already know what the first alien transmission will be. SNL told us decades ago:

Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Astronomy is proving that assumption more and more false each year. When I was a kid, I remember all the top astronomers telling us that solid planets were rare in the universe, that planets in the "Goldilocks zone" were exceedingly rare.

Now that we have the technology to have a look, not only are we finding that solid planets are ABUNDANT in the universe, but every year were are finding more and more planets in the Goldilocks zone --- some of them not all that far away.

According to the science, it is looking more and more like not only is the possibility of life out there very good, but the possibility of abundant life out there is pretty good.

Whether or not that life out there is intelligent is anyone's guess.
This is why the search for life elsewhere in the solar system is important from a scientific perspective. There are three basic possibilities:

(1) Life will be found elsewhere in the solar system (Mars, Enceladus, Titan, Galileo), and analysis of its DNA/RNA (or whatever information propagation mechanism it uses) shows that it is unrelated to Earth's life, showing that it arose independently of Earth. That makes life elsewhere within a few hundred light years more likely, and broadens the set of conditions under which life can arise out of basic components.

(2) Life will be found elsewhere in the solar system and analysis shows it is related to Earth's life. This will be evidence of panspermia in our solar solar system (we might turn out to be the real Martians), and will suggest that life even though rare may be able to move through interstellar space on asteroids and comets.

(3) Life will not be found elsewhere in the solar system. As some have suggested, the conditions necessary for cellular life to develop may be highly specific and unlikely - meaning it may have only arisen a few times in our galaxy. We may be it at present. For example, based on the bodies in the solar system and other stellar systems planet-moon combinations where the moon is large enough to raise substantial tides seem to be relatively rare; also, plate tectonics appears to exist only on Earth and Europa -- so if plate tectonics and/or tides are necessary for the development of life, that reduces the likelihood that planets in a star's Goldilocks Zone will have life on it.

At present all we have is speculation. Here's my guess. If it's the case that life develops frequently in the galaxy, as you point out that doesn't say anything about the probability life developing to the multicellular stage, or life evolving to a level of technology capable of interstellar communication, or the probability of an intelligent species lasting long enough to develop technology, or the likelihood a technology society will find a compelling reason for interstellar communication or spaceflight. One recent observation is that life on super earths (we've found many of these) is unlikely to develop space flight because the higher gravity would make it too difficult to get into orbit.

I think we're likely within the lifetimes of most of us to know whether 1, 2, or 3 is correct, but whether there's any evidence of intelligence outside Earth is another matter. If in 50 years all we have is silence, that will tell us something, too. My guess (and it's only a guess) is there are a lot of worlds out there with single celled life, a good percentage with multicellular life, but only a handful of technological societies have developed over the galaxy's lifetime. We may be it in the galaxy at the present time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal