Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM

22,847 posts, read 28,081,041 times

Advertisements

https://gizmodo.com/our-skies-are-mo...ort-1827284430

Our Skies Are More Watched Than Ever, So Why Are Reported UFO Sightings on the Decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,050,738 times
They are not alone. Some of us Earthlings are pretty fed up, too.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:33 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,054,689 times
In just a month I read articles on organic building blocks being found on Mars and Enceledus. Then there was a report from some scientists that we appear to be the only life out here. Its like a yo yo of encouraging and disappointing news.

We have been trying for contact for decades, from the voyager probe to radio waves. They even had a program for a while where people could beam thier own messaged to space. That actually would keep them away if they recieved it though! They would be convinced we were all nuts.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:48 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
https://gizmodo.com/our-skies-are-mo...ort-1827284430

Our Skies Are More Watched Than Ever, So Why Are Reported UFO Sightings on the Decline?
And there is also more things flying in the sky - particularly drones!

But I think the reason is because it's easier to identify the "unidentified". Every time an article comes out about some famous UFO sighting then the scientists and military can go through radar reports and flight plans and identify them. Not much is a mystery anymore.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:45 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,673,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
We have been trying for contact for decades
That's such a tiny window to work with to seek extraterrestrial life. While maybe there is other intelligent life out there and maybe they have far more sophisticated technology - or messages are only traveling at the speed of light. We've been transmitting signals for a mere 50 light years. There's only about 50 stars within 25 light years (25 there, 25 back). That's not much.

Even worse, what if these sophisticated species are no longer listening in on the type of transmissions we would be sending? What if it is the equivalent of analog TV transmissions vs our current HDTV transmissions? What if these other species somehow discovered "faster-than-light" transmission and simply assume that any signals received not using this other method must come from an uncivilized horde?

And then when we also consider that not all species might reach the peak of the civilization at the same time. What if there was a species out there that was say... 500 light years away. Maybe by the time our transmission reaches them, they've already had societal collapse? Or maybe they'll receive the signal in the earth-year 2500 and we'll receive a reply in earth-year 3000 but we'd have suffered a societal collapse?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM

Proviso: I have yet to see ANY convincing evidence that we are being visited by ETs. Maybe we are. Maybe we aren't. But I haven't seen any evidence that convinces me. I have seen a UFO three times in my life. I have no idea if it was alien or not.

That said, most of the arguments brought up against the possibility don't hold much water for me.

Distance. Yes, the distances between stars are vast. But if aliens are visiting, they obviously would have had to figure out a way to travel other than going from Point A to Point B really fast. The distances are just too vast. But even we are starting to figure out that there may be other means of travel.

Why haven't they contacted us? Only human arrogance presumes they would want to. I walk my dog daily. I see lots of squirrels, chipmunks, ants, moths, mosquitoes, and even the occasional toad and snake and firefly. If I'm in the mood, I might even stop to watch. Not once have I ever stopped and attempted to communicate with the chipmunks. Their psyches are so different than ours that real communication isn't even possible. The same would likely hold true of any highly advanced ETs.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,434,142 times
Quote:
Proviso: I have yet to see ANY convincing evidence that we are being visited by ETs. Maybe we are. Maybe we aren't. But I haven't seen any evidence that convinces me. I have seen a UFO three times in my life. I have no idea if it was alien or not.

That said, most of the arguments brought up against the possibility don't hold much water for me.

Distance. Yes, the distances between stars are vast. But if aliens are visiting, they obviously would have had to figure out a way to travel other than going from Point A to Point B really fast. The distances are just too vast. But even we are starting to figure out that there may be other means of travel.

Why haven't they contacted us? Only human arrogance presumes they would want to. I walk my dog daily. I see lots of squirrels, chipmunks, ants, moths, mosquitoes, and even the occasional toad and snake and firefly. If I'm in the mood, I might even stop to watch. Not once have I ever stopped and attempted to communicate with the chipmunks. Their psyches are so different than ours that real communication isn't even possible. The same would likely hold true of any highly advanced ETs.
For me, there is too much evidence in released Govt and military documents, that refer to them, there is 'something' going on, whatever it is, has been here a long time though.

There is also the very old, historical reports, many of which were before the airplane was invented, so there are not many other possibilities for these cases.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
For me, there is too much evidence in released Govt and military documents, that refer to them, there is 'something' going on, whatever it is, has been here a long time though.
The government docs released prove that the government knows something is going on, but they are as baffled as the rest of us. There has been zero proof of aliens in any government docs.

Ancient stories also talk about unicorns and dragons and gorgons and cyclops gods living in mountaintops. It isn't indicative of aliens. It is indicative that humans have great imaginations. A thousand years from now, archaeologists may dig up STAR WARS and enjoy it, but it won't be proof that people of the 20th century believed in aliens, and the Force, and lightsabers.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,901,936 times
Quote:
A thousand years from now, archaeologists may dig up STAR WARS and enjoy it, but it won't be proof that people of the 20th century believed in aliens, and the Force, and lightsabers.
Illustration from Motel of the Mysteries, an account of an archaeological expedition's dig in 4022AD:

Motel of the Mysteries

Old 07-03-2018, 01:35 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,299,956 times
Personally I wouldn't try to send any kind of communication out there into space, maybe they aren't friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal