U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 04:55 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,710,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The theory that dogs, and other animals, can see ghosts that people cannot is a relatively new phenomena to explain why animals in films and TV shows about ghosts look at, and sometimes interact with, ghosts. It is interesting to see a phenomena created and then become so much a part of general culture that people believe it is a "the truth".
i was not aware of the dog/ghost phenomenon in movies/tv since I don't watch much of either and avoid horror in general.

I did hear a story of a friend of my daughter's whose dog would bark at a specific corner in their house most nights.. and they knew that there was a murder in their house because they got it cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:36 PM

72,716 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
The theory that dogs, and other animals, can see ghosts that people cannot is a relatively new phenomena to explain why animals in films and TV shows about ghosts look at, and sometimes interact with, ghosts. It is interesting to see a phenomena created and then become so much a part of general culture that people believe it is a "the truth".
Real live people report their pets hissing or barking at seemingly nothing, where there's been unusual activity in a house, or being frightened by something. You seem to assume that a lot of people watch shows about ghosts, but not that many do.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,985,492 times
It isn't about the age of the house though. The house I was brought up in was dated 1635 and although there were creaks as it cooled or relaxed at night, there were no extras included.

It seems to be about the events which happen in a place and whether there is attached emotion.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,025,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
She will be in this apt until mid August. Not that much longer. Funny enough she is moving into a home that is somewhere around 100 years old with four other friends. The landlord of that home is completely renovating it. It used to be a fraternity house. I hope the new place doesn’t have any residents other than the girls moving in. Visually it “looks” like an old haunted house LOL! Time will tell. The apt she is in is only about 15 years old or less. No idea if it’s history.
Try researching the address. Google the address, plus history, crime, haunting, etc and see what comes up.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 AM

917 posts, read 275,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
I will start this by saying last August when we moved my daughter into her college apt i had something strange occur. Her father and her had run to the store to buy some supplies. It was very late about 11:00 pm maybe. Maybe even midnight. I was cleaning the bathroom attached to her bedroom while they were gone and i felt someone come up and touch me from behind. Almost like someone was hugging me from behind. It was so real i thought they had returned from the store and my husband was sneaking up on me. At the time i got freaked out and went and sat on the sofa in the living room until they returned. I didn’t share the story because i didn’t want to freak my daughter out. She would be in the apt for ten days alone before her two room mates arrived. I kept convincing myself I’d imagined it. They got through most of the year with nothing happening but around January i would hear stories from my daughter about how the TV would turn on by itself in the middle of the night. Or a light would turn off or on by itself. In the back of my mind i thought of my incident but to not alarm her would give her reasons these things might be happening. Then one day in April she sent me a snap chat her and her one room mate had taken of a sock sliding across the floor by itself. Okay now that’s weird. But i again said maybe the window in their third room mates room was open and her door being closed it caused a wind funnel to send the sock across the room.

Fast forward. My daughter is staying there over summer. The roommates have moved out and she had other ones for the first 6 weeks of summer but they have now moved out as well. So since middle of June she has been there alone. She was dog sitting for a friend this past weekend. She texted me at around midnight telling me that the dog was standing at her bedroom door growling then barking into the hallway. We kept texting for what seemed like forever . She was scared. She knew the apt was locked up. She is on the second floor so really anyone entering would have to come through the front door. No windows are left open she attends school in the south and the AC runs 24/7.

She had the dog for a total of 3 nights and it only did this on one night. She was scared. It’s a docile lab mix and she said it has never ever growled and snarled like that ever. Plus it had its head out the crack inher bedroom door and was doing it like in her words “he sees something out there in the hallway.”

Other things to note in passing conversations that i am now wondering about...she will say things like “i can’t find my sunglasses anywhere and i swear i left them right near my keys /purse”. Then next time i talk to her “ guess where i found my sunglasses ? They were behind the TV. How could they possibly have gotten there?

I guess i never put a lot of weight into any of this before but now that she is there alone i worry that something is “off” with that apartment and worry about her safety. Is it haunted?
No, nothing to worry about.
It sounds like a spirit (who is just a person who've lost their physical body) who intends no harm.
Many spirits like to stir up the inhabitants by flicking lights on/off or in interfering with TVs or radios but this one isn't even doing that.

Many people find it helps to acknowledge the resident spirit by simply saying 'Hi Fred/Wilma' (my sense is it's female) when they come home or when the dog growls say 'It's ok, it's just Fred/Wilma'.
People who do this who've experienced things like cold spots, lights flickering for e.g., find that it stops once they start acknowledging the spirits presence.
As your daughter isn't experiencing anything that could be remotely described as negative, it would not only be a nice gesture but it hopefully would help put your daughter at ease.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
No it's not a "relatively new phenomena". Witches have used cats & dogs as 'familiars' for a very long time because of their ability to sense spirits. For a very, very long time.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:00 AM

14,509 posts, read 11,489,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
No, nothing to worry about.
It sounds like a spirit (who is just a person who've lost their physical body) who intends no harm.
Many spirits like to stir up the inhabitants by flicking lights on/off or in interfering with TVs or radios but this one isn't even doing that.

Many people find it helps to acknowledge the resident spirit by simply saying 'Hi Fred/Wilma' (my sense is it's female) when they come home or when the dog growls say 'It's ok, it's just Fred/Wilma'.
People who do this who've experienced things like cold spots, lights flickering for e.g., find that it stops once they start acknowledging the spirits presence.
As your daughter isn't experiencing anything that could be remotely described as negative, it would not only be a nice gesture but it hopefully would help put your daughter at ease.
Id be out of there like a shot, no wonder all the other flatmates left... maybe they sensed the uneasy feeling in the place too ....

Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Id be out of there like a shot, no wonder all the other flatmates left... maybe they sensed the uneasy feeling in the place too ....
But here's the thing Dizzy, spirits are just people who've lost their physical bodies.
Many spirits create phenomena just so they will be acknowledged.
When I was into communicating with spirits in a big way (basically to explain to them their situation & to show them the way 'home' - called spirit rescue) it was very common for them to say they felt lonely. It's quite sad really.

Then there's the spirits, who were no-doubt not very nice people in life, & negative entities, who will react to peoples fear & use it against them. Don't be frightened & they can't harm you.

I've been sensing spirits since I was a little kid. Thanks to my very religious parents who said that was a sign that the Devil was after me, I was terrified of spirits.
Now I know better.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:38 AM

4,483 posts, read 7,537,562 times
Way back from a year ago (last Aug) when you felt like someone hugged you from behind, I'm surprised you didn't say something then & there. At least give her the heads up so she can be aware & not totally oblivious. You're her mother & should care more about her safety & well being. That wasn't the time to walk on eggshells, etc.

If this were my daughter, I wouldn't want my daughter staying there NOT ONE night! I don't care if we have to pay $500 in losses or she'd have to live back w/ me for another 2 mos, or whatever. I just couldn't be in my own home knowing my offspring is over there in some haunted apt in which who knows what will happen.

Anyway, now that a year has passed, it's good that nothing serious happened to her during that year. Now, has anyone done any research on THIS old house that she's about to move into?! If I was your daughter's age, it's not about the excitement of moving out or into a new place, etc. I'd care more about my own well being & take this whole thing a WHOLE LOT more seriously.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,595,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Real live people report their pets hissing or barking at seemingly nothing, where there's been unusual activity in a house, or being frightened by something. You seem to assume that a lot of people watch shows about ghosts, but not that many do.
You seem to assume that things that people on TV or in movies stay compartmentalized and do not enter popular culture.

Pets responding to something you do not see is not proof of the supernatural. The pet may hear something that you do not that is possibly outside the house and reacting to that.

Thanks for the lecture, it was highly amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or