U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 PM

64 posts, read 24,969 times

Advertisements

I will start this by saying last August when we moved my daughter into her college apt i had something strange occur. Her father and her had run to the store to buy some supplies. It was very late about 11:00 pm maybe. Maybe even midnight. I was cleaning the bathroom attached to her bedroom while they were gone and i felt someone come up and touch me from behind. Almost like someone was hugging me from behind. It was so real i thought they had returned from the store and my husband was sneaking up on me. At the time i got freaked out and went and sat on the sofa in the living room until they returned. I didn’t share the story because i didn’t want to freak my daughter out. She would be in the apt for ten days alone before her two room mates arrived. I kept convincing myself I’d imagined it. They got through most of the year with nothing happening but around January i would hear stories from my daughter about how the TV would turn on by itself in the middle of the night. Or a light would turn off or on by itself. In the back of my mind i thought of my incident but to not alarm her would give her reasons these things might be happening. Then one day in April she sent me a snap chat her and her one room mate had taken of a sock sliding across the floor by itself. Okay now that’s weird. But i again said maybe the window in their third room mates room was open and her door being closed it caused a wind funnel to send the sock across the room.

Fast forward. My daughter is staying there over summer. The roommates have moved out and she had other ones for the first 6 weeks of summer but they have now moved out as well. So since middle of June she has been there alone. She was dog sitting for a friend this past weekend. She texted me at around midnight telling me that the dog was standing at her bedroom door growling then barking into the hallway. We kept texting for what seemed like forever . She was scared. She knew the apt was locked up. She is on the second floor so really anyone entering would have to come through the front door. No windows are left open she attends school in the south and the AC runs 24/7.

She had the dog for a total of 3 nights and it only did this on one night. She was scared. It’s a docile lab mix and she said it has never ever growled and snarled like that ever. Plus it had its head out the crack inher bedroom door and was doing it like in her words “he sees something out there in the hallway.”

Other things to note in passing conversations that i am now wondering about...she will say things like “i can’t find my sunglasses anywhere and i swear i left them right near my keys /purse”. Then next time i talk to her “ guess where i found my sunglasses ? They were behind the TV. How could they possibly have gotten there?

I guess i never put a lot of weight into any of this before but now that she is there alone i worry that something is “off” with that apartment and worry about her safety. Is it haunted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 AM

10,375 posts, read 4,087,467 times
From what you described I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't know if I believe in ghosts or spirits but from what you described, if there is something there, it seems to just be coexisting with you daughter and other roommates. There's nothing you described which makes me believe anything wishes them harm.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 AM

2,708 posts, read 2,983,980 times
When we cannot see what is going on, we feel out of control and we become afraid. Thats a natural reaction.

Your daughter is not stupid and she is probably freaking out as much as you are so maybe you both need to accept something weird is going on.

The TV does not turn itself on/off by itself, and socks do not move along with the wind and sunglasses do not jump down the back of the TV on their own.

However, as Marino says, it does not look as if it is nasty but merely being playful perhaps. So you have 4 choices, 1) move her out 2) accept it as if it comes with the apartment, talk to it and see what happens. Try bringing in flowers perhaps? 3) ignore it as if nothing is happening. 4) get it evicted.

You cannot tell what has happened in that apartment prior to your daughter moving in so some other girls/residents may have opened a door to the other side which might not be properly closed.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:08 AM

72,676 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Impressive story, OP. Even the completely objective, unbiased observer, the dog, perceived something there.

You could share your experience with her, and suggest she contact the local "spiritual" bookstore, to see if they know of a medium that can deal with this. At least it's not harmful; just a bit disconcerting.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM

594 posts, read 275,126 times
I lived in a house for years where things like this and much more happened on a routine basis. For the most part, I got used to it and just resigned to live with it until I was ready to sell. Sometimes I would order it to stop and to leave. Then things would sometimes calm down for a while but would always start back up with some new kind of shenanigans. I did speak to a psychic once who said there were 3 spirits in the house that come and go and that I didn't need to fear them. It's true, I was never harmed in any way, just unnerved from time to time. I also had my possessions moved around the house, things would move around right in front of me - just as you describe. I can't begin to tell you what was going on in that house, who was doing it, or why. I can tell you that I didn't imagine it. Finally, someone else got to experience a bit of it, so I know it wasn't just me.

I finally sold the house and bought another in a new town. Truthfully, I was a bit worried that whatever was in that house would follow me to the new one. But no. Nothing strange going on here. All peaceful and quiet, just as it should be. I've often wondered if the person who bought that house has ever experienced the same things I had.

So OP, that made a believer of me that there are more things going on around us than meets the eye, such as other realities or dimensions, if you will. I'd say since it's just a rental, if your daughter is really spooked (no pun intended) living there, it would be simple enough to move. It seems to me that there are just some locations, that for whatever reason, seem to be active with ... who knows what. If it's a simple to move, maybe that's the best solution. It definitely solved my problem.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 PM

64 posts, read 24,969 times
She will be in this apt until mid August. Not that much longer. Funny enough she is moving into a home that is somewhere around 100 years old with four other friends. The landlord of that home is completely renovating it. It used to be a fraternity house. I hope the new place doesn’t have any residents other than the girls moving in. Visually it “looks” like an old haunted house LOL! Time will tell. The apt she is in is only about 15 years old or less. No idea if it’s history.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,595,491 times
The theory that dogs, and other animals, can see ghosts that people cannot is a relatively new phenomena to explain why animals in films and TV shows about ghosts look at, and sometimes interact with, ghosts. It is interesting to see a phenomena created and then become so much a part of general culture that people believe it is a "the truth".

Old 07-05-2018, 11:53 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,039,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The theory that dogs, and other animals, can see ghosts that people cannot is a relatively new phenomena to explain why animals in films and TV shows about ghosts look at, and sometimes interact with, ghosts. It is interesting to see a phenomena created and then become so much a part of general culture that people believe it is a "the truth".
As well as babies and small children.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:41 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Many years back, our cats started interacting with unseen things. They would run from room to room, paw at walls.

Then we heard scratching. It wasn’t time to call Ghostbusters, it was time to call Orkin. There’s a time when the critters (roof rats) go out, so it’s safe to block their ways in, without killing them in your walls. Because you DO NOT want to do that.

Cats calmed down.

And although this is the paranormal forum, one should always remember the old adage about hearing hoofbeats. Think horses, not zebras. Cause chances are it’s horses.

And OP, don’t try to interact with whatever or whoever is there. If it’s freaking her out, she can tell it firmly to stop, it’s scaring her, and she does not give it permission to bother her. But if you start playing with it, who knows what will happen.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 3,266 times
I'm very interested to know what happened in the 15 year history of the place. Maybe there was another building there before it if you can't find anything.

I wouldn't worry about anything following her, also.

It would be interesting if she could somehow keep in touch with new residents and contact them in 6 months or so to find out if anythings been happening to them too. But you probably will be happy to move on from this haha.

Sounds like she's going to be just fine since the new move will be happening soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or