Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Another way to put it is that 92% of UFO sightings in Canada are fully explainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:50 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Another way to put it is that 92% of UFO sightings in Canada are fully explainable.
That's pretty close to the international average.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 PM

6,943 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
If you are happy with that number, then we have at least one Happy Bunny. If we dont question, then we have to accept the official version of things and that's fine as long as you absolutely trust the organisation which is giving you the information.

However, there is a majority now who do not trust the government and big business to tell us the truth. What does that tell you about the people who are supposed to be on our side? That they have lost our confidence and should be replaced.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
However, there is a majority now who do not trust the government and big business to tell us the truth. What does that tell you about the people who are supposed to be on our side? That they have lost our confidence and should be replaced.
Sure. But that doesn't negate the fact that the overwhelming majority of UFO sightings are explainable. Those that aren't ... ? Who knows?

And keep in mind that the hoaxsters are getting more and more talented too.

Just one example:

I recommend everyone read UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record by Leslie Kean. It's a great book that goes over those cases that cannot be explained. Kean is not a whack-a-doodle conspiracy nut. She's trying to have an objective look at those UFO sightings without concrete explanations.

But one of the cases she analyzes are the Belgian UFO sightings in Petit-Rechain, including one famous photo that experts (at the time) could not explain or debunk. Well, fairly recently, the guys who faked it came out and admitted as much. They made it out of Styrofoam and some lightbulbs. See: https://www.terraobscura.net/blog/th...-the-straw-man

So stuff like this is why skeptics like me --- a skeptic who has seen UFO 3 times in my life, by the way --- still remain skeptical of most UFO claims.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
To look at another fun side of the Conspiracy:

There are some conspiracy theorists who predict that alien attack is going to be the next big smokescreen. Remember that military industrial complex Eisenhower warned us about? That warning we have spent 70 years ignoring?

Well, the ruling elite used the commies for decades to scare us and funnel our money and security into their hands.

Once we beat the commies, the terrorists became the latest Big Baddie.

Once the hoi polloi finally get fed up with funding the never-ending War on Terror and begin telling their leaders, "Enough," that is when the aliens will supposedly attack. That will be the next Big Baddie to get everyone to give away their liberty, security, and wealth.

Or so say some conspiracy theorists.
I know what you are referring to, it was a list of 'threats' the world would see over time. I believe it had 4 in total...

1. Communism
2. terrorism
3. asteroids
4. alien invasion

Old 07-25-2018, 11:58 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence.
The evidence DOES exist...however we are not privy to it.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If you are happy with that number, then we have at least one Happy Bunny. If we dont question, then we have to accept the official version of things and that's fine as long as you absolutely trust the organisation which is giving you the information.

Yes but what does that have to do with explained UFOs?

There are other organizations that also review UFO sightings - independent groups, private groups, scientists, photography experts, etc. They can tell when a picture of a light in the sky is actually the planet venus, or a satellite, or some idiot with a drone. They can tell when a sighting corresponds with a natural weather or astronimal event based on the description.
You can't tell us they are all secret plants, or being paid off, by "The Men in Black".

92% are explained, that's incredible and sad at the same time - that's almost conclusive dismissal of each and every UFO sighting attributed to any alien or supernatural source. 8% of unexplained which in terms of scientific conclusions is not much at all - It simply means there is not enough information to determine a reason, it due to yet unexplained natural pheonomena (that's kind of exciting), or indeed it's ET making a visit. I tend to believe it's the former, with it being attributed to truly alien visits the least likely reason. Again unfortunetly because I Want To Believe. The results of only 8% unexplained are not encouraging.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 PM

6,943 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
I tend to believe it's the former, with it being attributed to truly alien visits the least likely reason. Again unfortunetly because I Want To Believe. The results of only 8% unexplained are not encouraging.
Percentages can be small but numbers can be large. 80 in 1000 sightings is not to be sniffed at.

In my view, talking ET and aliens is a diversion. We should be talking about the technology and what needs to be released to the public so we can heal, and progress as a society. It is immaterial whether the craft seen are piloted by ET or by military. The fact is - they can do all kinds of weird and wonderful speeds and go places we can only dream about as the evidence shows from the reports by military and official personnel can testify.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
I would like to note, that nowhere in my story did I mention aliens. We know what we saw. We took photos. We couldn't explain it away as not happening.

It could be an experimental craft, or some weird weather phenomenon, although I can't imagine what would block out a spot in the sky like that except some sort of craft.

I'll believe it's aliens when I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal