U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:38 AM

13,141 posts, read 10,574,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's not really too far fetched. There was an idiot running around with a Bigfoot costume on a couple of years ago along a road after dark trying to fool people into thinking he was a bigfoot. He was struck by a car and killed.
I could see someone in the woods in that sort of a costume getting shot.

Even when we heard about the Patterson film; supposedly Gimlin was loading his weapon. Anybody, trying to fool or scare somebody in the open country, could get more than they bargained for. Many people carry guns and some carry loaded guns. Some are true believers and know nothing about any laws protecting any large hairy creatures.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:26 AM

2,638 posts, read 1,740,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Didn't some guy on one of the Discovery Channel programs claim he shot and killed a (juvenile?) bigfoot, then got scared and buried it?
If youre refering to that 3 part deal, yes. He took the researchers back for a sample, or got a sample or something, and it was a bear.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 753,703 times
Trucker needs to pee in a cup. Either he's off his meds, or he's taking some "off the book".

Old 09-04-2018, 03:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
When a person shoots one and goes public with it and openly states that he was hunting it then it will exist and he will get arrested. AND he has the body.
Arrested for what?

Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Arrested for what?

In Mo. The Conservation regs say that just because there is no season on it; then you cannot hunt it. That regulation doesn't mention BF at all.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM

3,999 posts, read 1,776,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While it could not explain the thunder and the wind (which might have been alone stray bolt from the blue) it is possible that it was a large bird of prey on the roof?
Oh, it most definitely WAS a very large bird of prey, although the roof damage, according to my youngest son's dad; seemed to indicate a foot more like a game bird (3-toed track) & the tripod shaped punctures were about 3 feet apart.

Impossible. The whole thing is just impossible.

The other problem is with the flight aerodynamics, because I think the whole sequence of sound (ripple-thunderclap) & the gust of wind came from being underneath its wings but its flight is not something you would see with a large bird of prey.

From what I know, birds of prey do not actually use their wings much to launch; instead they ride the thermal air currents to circle in the sky while they hunt. This thing was definitely winged but in the air, it never flapped: it glided.

It cleared this tree in the front yard ... I watched it ... & that tree was twice as tall as the house. It would have had to have tremendous power to cup the air with one flap & clear that tree. Birds that flap a lot fly with their heads up (like a hummingbird does). Raptors that soar are horizontal. This thing soared in a position like a turkey vulture but went straight up in the air with one flap? It's just impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The one thing your account does not sound like is a seven to ten foot tall hairy monster. Just out of curiosity; did you lose power after that happened? The reason I am asking is that sometimes our nocturnal creatures will climb telephone polls and short out transformers. When they do so; the transformer explodes and it is loud - almost like a lightening bolt.
It's the "did you get a good pic?" thing I was relating to. All the BF sightings seem to be only either one or two people & they don't seem to last more than 20-30 seconds at the most. If that. How would anybody even be able to take a good picture?

I suppose these days everything is "caught on camera" but an unfolding drama is very different from a 15-second encounter with something that should not ... be. It's a psychological state of cognitive dissonance; not known to be conducive to quick wit or productivity.

It's interesting that you mentioned the transponders; I saw one explode about 6 months prior to the bird but it was hit by a truck carrying oxygen tanks (according to the fire dept). It was about 2-3 blocks to the west & at about 4 am. I didn't see the impact but heard the truck approaching because the tires on asphalt sounded strange: Like those monster trucks that make that "whomp-whomp" sound.

The "whomping" slowed & then stopped & there was a flash in the sky & a static crackling sound. This huge fireball looking thing went straight up & looked like it imploded with actual electricity streaks just like lightning. Pretty epic, actually.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
In Mo. The Conservation regs say that just because there is no season on it; then you cannot hunt it. That regulation doesn't mention BF at all.
My point precisely.

Anyone who shoots a Bigfoot and comes back with a corpse has only fame and fortune (and maybe a PETA protest) to look forward to.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 AM

3,999 posts, read 1,776,085 times
Quote:
Sure there are videos of a bear walking ;i haven't seen any bear videos of them running super fast. Has anyone seen a Bear run across a freeway on two feet? I have read reports of people seeing a BF on two feet completely cross a freeway and get a very good look at it.
What stands out to me about those highway crossing sightings; is that there is a very consistent observation of clearing the road with one or two strides.

Humans are more efficient at a bi-pedal gait than any other mammal I can think of & a very large man could not cross 4-6 lanes of asphalt with two steps.

A bear on his back legs sounds almost more comical than anything. Like a circus trick. And wouldn't they take more strides than a human?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:28 AM

13,141 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh, it most definitely WAS a very large bird of prey, although the roof damage, according to my youngest son's dad; seemed to indicate a foot more like a game bird (3-toed track) & the tripod shaped punctures were about 3 feet apart.

Impossible. The whole thing is just impossible.

The other problem is with the flight aerodynamics, because I think the whole sequence of sound (ripple-thunderclap) & the gust of wind came from being underneath its wings but its flight is not something you would see with a large bird of prey.

From what I know, birds of prey do not actually use their wings much to launch; instead they ride the thermal air currents to circle in the sky while they hunt. This thing was definitely winged but in the air, it never flapped: it glided.

It cleared this tree in the front yard ... I watched it ... & that tree was twice as tall as the house. It would have had to have tremendous power to cup the air with one flap & clear that tree. Birds that flap a lot fly with their heads up (like a hummingbird does). Raptors that soar are horizontal. This thing soared in a position like a turkey vulture but went straight up in the air with one flap? It's just impossible!
Many large predators do flap their wings to get airborne: https://news.sky.com/video/eagle-tak...-ride-11383737. It all depends on the weight of their prey and if they can catch updrafts; but updrafts are not always predictable when they need them. The bird could have been scared by your presence?

Keep in mind that large birds are mainly feathers. The very biggest birds are only about 20 pounds - but they look a lot larger and especially if you are very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It's the "did you get a good pic?" thing I was relating to. All the BF sightings seem to be only either one or two people & they don't seem to last more than 20-30 seconds at the most. If that. How would anybody even be able to take a good picture?

I suppose these days everything is "caught on camera" but an unfolding drama is very different from a 15-second encounter with something that should not ... be. It's a psychological state of cognitive dissonance; not known to be conducive to quick wit or productivity.

It's interesting that you mentioned the transformer (***I corrected your spelling); I saw one explode about 6 months prior to the bird but it was hit by a truck carrying oxygen tanks (according to the fire dept). It was about 2-3 blocks to the west & at about 4 am. I didn't see the impact but heard the truck approaching because the tires on asphalt sounded strange: Like those monster trucks that make that "whomp-whomp" sound.

The "whomping" slowed & then stopped & there was a flash in the sky & a static crackling sound. This huge fireball looking thing went straight up & looked like it imploded with actual electricity streaks just like lightning. Pretty epic, actually.
It might have been possible that your large bird dropped it's prey and hit the high voltage lines? You said that you saw it fly off; how big did you think it was and how dark was it outside?

I have had scary things happen to me at night. One time I was opening an old garage. The garage doors did not meet and they drooped in the middle so there was a fairly large opening in the middle of the door frame. When I opened up the doors a screech owl was inside and decided to take off. Either it's wings or talons just brushed the top of my head. I also felt the wind from it's wings. I know that screech owls are not that big; but in the dark I had no idea how big or exactly what just happened - it was totally unexpected. I had another incident at our hunting camp when I entered a pitch black kitchen and pulled the pull-chain light switch. I felt something moving at the end of the chain. Here there was a bat hanging from little piece of metal at the end of the chain and I then had it by the feet with my hand when the light came on. At least the light coming on solved the mystery of what was moving in my hand!

Our minds can go racing looking for answers when we are in these situations. In the last paragraph I said "screech owl" but I really do not know. That was the only logical explanation that I could come up with since I really could not see what happened. Maybe I saw too may Star Treks and I loved the character Spock that dealt with everything in terms of logic? With any account, including yours, I look for logical explanations first before looking for flying BF or tetradactylies or whatever.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM

5,250 posts, read 4,050,218 times
We are approaching the 200th anniversary of the first newspaper story about a Bigfoot creature in the United States. It was on September 22, 1818.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/...e-first-story/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or