Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 PM

12,783 posts, read 9,298,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Say we had a rocket club back in the 1950's with a military crate as a blockhouse - does that count? Everything back then was 'home made' and we did get a full half mile from some of our launches. Space was not that far away!
Ever read "Rocket Ship Galileo"? I think it was written in 1947, and was about 3 high school boys who had a rocket club, and eventually went to the moon with their uncle, a nuclear physicist/engineer. I love the old space travel science fiction of Heinlein, Clarke, etc. Can't stand the modern fantasy tales though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM

18,763 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Ever read "Rocket Ship Galileo"? I think it was written in 1947, and was about 3 high school boys who had a rocket club, and eventually went to the moon with their uncle, a nuclear physicist/engineer. I love the old space travel science fiction of Heinlein, Clarke, etc. Can't stand the modern fantasy tales though.

Our special mixture of potassium nitrate and sugar got us where we wanted to go (or almost there). Actually; do you remember the pilot for Salvage 1: https://archive.org/details/Salvage1...e1SeriesPilot? The problem with many films today is that they simply repeat old material. I loved the original films and original ideas.

I do not want to want to derail the thread. Of course the FBI could have been investigating a rocket club? Hopefully they will release more details shortly.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Any time something involving terrorism is suspected in this country, it always makes it's way to the media.
No, something happened that was important enough to bring out the FBI, and their unusual secrecy

Bob.
Bob, We dont hear about FBIs intercepted damage control very often. We here of it after the fact, when it's too late. Jihad were intercepted posting here on CD and who knows how many other forums. FBI provides what they want, when want.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Our special mixture of potassium nitrate and sugar got us where we wanted to go (or almost there). Actually; do you remember the pilot for Salvage 1: https://archive.org/details/Salvage1...e1SeriesPilot? The problem with many films today is that they simply repeat old material. I loved the original films and original ideas.

I do not want to want to derail the thread. Of course the FBI could have been investigating a rocket club? Hopefully they will release more details shortly.
No, I don't remember Salvage. We had a two-year old at the time.

Hmm, a rocket club at Sunspot. Unique idea, but it's as good as some of the other speculation. I'll bet that's it. In "Rocket Ship Galileo" they left for the moon from the Trinity site, not far from Sunspot.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Bob, We dont hear about FBIs intercepted damage control very often. We here of it after the fact, when it's too late. Jihad were intercepted posting here on CD and who knows how many other forums. FBI provides what they want, when want.
Wow ... I didn't know that.

It's going to be extremely interesting to hear what went on there. I believe they went back to work today ... I'm sure there was lots of water cooler discussions by the employees.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Well, given the location, New Mexico and national forest, I’m betting large illegal pot grow and some sort of cartel issue.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:05 PM

18,763 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well, given the location, New Mexico and national forest, I’m betting large illegal pot grow and some sort of cartel issue.
A lot of New Mexico is brown and not good for growing. But there are some green areas, more importantly, it borders Mexico and there could be a 'cartel issue'. I just think that this was another hot, dry, year for them and not that favorable for pot cultivation - but I could be wrong?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Sunspot's in south central NM, not far from White Sands, and having driven through there several times and visited White Sands several times, I'm surprised that anything other than scrub would grow there.

However, the picture in the Wikipedia article paints a totally different picture: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot,_New_Mexico

I don't know if the FBI would be in on pot farming raids, but if there was some sort of organized drug trade they would. That seemingly would be an out of the way place for something like that though ... it's very sparsely populated. But, it's not too far from El Paso and Juarez, one of the most dangerous places for life and limb in the world.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Wow ... I didn't know that.
At one time it was in CD wiki.
I'm not certain why it needed to be there, but since removed.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,700,115 times
Quote:
How about a scenario such as this: The post office received a suspicious package ... maybe some "white powder" fell out ... that was addressed to one of the scientists at the solar observatory. Then someone at the post office called the police, who in turn called the FBI.

Or maybe a scientist had ordered some marijuana and the post office worker found it. It's still illegal in the US and in New Mexico.

Maybe a letter bomb? Nutty people are ubiquitous.

It could have been a lot of things, but I suspect it involved something that was in the mail, and was addressed to the observatory.

A legitimate question is ... why is the post office and the observatory still closed, or if open now, why were they closed for so long?
Intriguing answers you've posited which all sound possible. I doubt it's about marijuana though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal