U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 819,000 times

Advertisements

Be interesting to find out what's behind this:

New Mexico observatory's sudden closure sparks wild speculation | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 03:54 PM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post

Maybe they didn't keep good books? But the books they did keep were too good for the Feds to find anything? We will find out one of these days.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:18 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,270,725 times
The fact that the post office was also shut down suggests something bad in the mail - but why the FBI presence with a helicopter? And why did they have people working on the antennas? Strange.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 PM

2,710 posts, read 2,986,521 times
Just trying to think what would have caused the closure and the FBI rather than the local law. Also why the Post Office was closed too which is not THAT close as well. It was closed on September 6th so now a week and no news of it being opened again. Someone must know something.

Link 1
Quote:
On Friday AURA told KOAT they had decided that the observatory would "remain closed until further notice because of an ongoing security concern."

They did not disclose any more information as to the nature of that security concern.

People posting on social media think the closure has to do with aliens. The FBI won't say how involved it is in the investigation but did say the security issue isn’t about UFO’s or aliens.

As of now the neighbors who live in the community have no idea when they'll be able to go back to their homes.
Link 2
Quote:
Sunspot Solar Observatory is part of the National Solar Observatory network and is maintained by AURA. The observatory uses the Dunn Solar Telescope, which takes some of the highest-resolution images and other data of the sun anywhere in the world. Apache Point Observatory (APO), about a mile away from Sunspot Solar Observatory, is still operational and has not been shut down.
The town of Sunspot itself is very small, and all 12-15 residents were evacuated, as well as four employees at the observatory, five or six employees of AURA and employees of the post office (number unknown).
Nobody would really elaborate on any of the circumstances as to why. The FBI were up there. What their purpose was nobody will say. But for the FBI to get involved that quick and be so secretive about it, there was a lot of stuff going on up there. There was a Blackhawk helicopter, a bunch of people around antennas and work crews on towers but nobody would tell us anything.
Link 3
Quote:
Oddly enough, as Albuquerque Journal reporter Matthew Reisen was on the phone with the sheriff, the phone went wonky and cut out while the sheriff was in mid-sentence.

It wasn’t just the observatory that was evacuated on a moment’s notice: a postal clerk working at the nearby post office said agents walked in and told him to take a hike. Reisen contacted U.S. Postal Service spokesman Rod Spurgeon, who called the situation “strange.”

Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 436,466 times
I wonder if it's an extraterrestrial threat

Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 PM

2,050 posts, read 919,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Just trying to think what would have caused the closure and the FBI rather than the local law. Also why the Post Office was closed too which is not THAT close as well. It was closed on September 6th so now a week and no news of it being opened again. Someone must know something.
How about a scenario such as this: The post office received a suspicious package ... maybe some "white powder" fell out ... that was addressed to one of the scientists at the solar observatory. Then someone at the post office called the police, who in turn called the FBI.

Or maybe a scientist had ordered some marijuana and the post office worker found it. It's still illegal in the US and in New Mexico.

Maybe a letter bomb? Nutty people are ubiquitous.

It could have been a lot of things, but I suspect it involved something that was in the mail, and was addressed to the observatory.

A legitimate question is ... why is the post office and the observatory still closed, or if open now, why were they closed for so long?

Old 09-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I wonder if it's an extraterrestrial threat
Doubtful.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 PM

All this is speculation and my own wild thoughts. Dont believe them or take any notice of them. Just me thinking out loud.

I would have thought if the FBI were involved, then it must be that there may have been an alert centered on the Post Office so the area around has been evacuated (in this case the Observatory and the village).
The FBI are not a local law enforcement organisation, so it must be something fairly major or important which the local law enforcement dont usually handle so needs help handling.
It is not a bomb because the army bomb squad would have been called in.
It is not hazardous like anthrax because they would have guys walking around in hazmat suits.
It is not aliens because the FBI dont get called in for that.
It is not something which might have ended up in a building somewhere, and it is not a small item.

In my wild guess, it is probably that an unknown creature/person has been seen in the area (Any escaped convicts?) and they are checking the area thoroughly, although normally the authorities do not believe this kind of cryptid report so much to evacuate the area. Maybe an armed fugative perhaps?
Someone somewhere in the area has reported it so someone knows. We need to keep an eye on Reddit, the local news service, and the Bush Telegraph.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
All this is speculation and my own wild thoughts. Dont believe them or take any notice of them. Just me thinking out loud.

I would have thought if the FBI were involved, then it must be that there may have been an alert centered on the Post Office so the area around has been evacuated (in this case the Observatory and the village).
The FBI are not a local law enforcement organisation, so it must be something fairly major or important which the local law enforcement dont usually handle so needs help handling.
It is not a bomb because the army bomb squad would have been called in.
It is not hazardous like anthrax because they would have guys walking around in hazmat suits.
It is not aliens because the FBI dont get called in for that.
It is not something which might have ended up in a building somewhere, and it is not a small item.

In my wild guess, it is probably that an unknown creature/person has been seen in the area (Any escaped convicts?) and they are checking the area thoroughly, although normally the authorities do not believe this kind of cryptid report so much to evacuate the area. Maybe an armed fugative perhaps?
Someone somewhere in the area has reported it so someone knows. We need to keep an eye on Reddit, the local news service, and the Bush Telegraph.
Did the town/village also get evacuated? Regardless, I agree with what you said. It had to be a federal issue for the FBI to be there. Kidnapping perhaps? It'll be interesting to see what develops and if we ever hear what it was.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:42 PM

The quote in Link 2 above says about the village being evacuated too, so I think it is "all homes and offices within x miles from the incident" probably.

There is obviously a danger to people for the FBI to be brought in, but what danger could there be which is above local law enforcement, and not under the jurisdiction of the army or other agencies(aliens, chemicals, radiation, etc). Would it be the location, the facility, or just a chance event which is the center of the investigation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or