U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:42 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,253,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you read the guidelines you can now say: Prove it. You cannot say Greys, ghost or BF are not real - that will get you an infraction.
From the guidelines:

Quote:
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea
I take this to mean, we can discuss the reasons why we think greys, ghosts, or BF are not real or the observers of same are/might have been mistaken, as long as it's not an attack on those claiming the experience. Problems often seem to arise when people mistake a disagreement on ideas for a personal attack.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 10,516,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
From the guidelines:

I take this to mean, we can discuss the reasons why we think greys, ghosts, or BF are not real or the observers of same are/might have been mistaken, as long as it's not an attack on those claiming the experience. Problems often seem to arise when people mistake a disagreement on ideas for a personal attack.

To me there is gray area as we discuss these subject and there is wiggle room; as long as we don't wiggle too much. But we are not here to give our moderators a hard time. We are here searching for the truth. Unfortunately the truth can be very illusive.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,583,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Nope, you don’t have to believe, you just have to respect that others do. The go to term of “tin foil hat” is considered a personal attack here, as it telling people they are stupid, ridiculous, should grow up et al.
Vut saying every US government employee is a liar, cheat and a fraud is OK. Attacking Americans is OK. Making negative, even if truthful, statements about China is not OK.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:03 AM

11,413 posts, read 19,403,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Vut saying every US government employee is a liar, cheat and a fraud is OK. Attacking Americans is OK. Making negative, even if truthful, statements about China is not OK.
I never said that. If you can say that without it becoming a personal attack, it’s fine. Watch your “You” statements. Watch your emotions. If you’re really angry, it may come off as a personal attack. Step back, take a breath and then respond calmly.

I have to do that a lot.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:05 PM

17,124 posts, read 22,123,250 times
so many would have to be involved with a fake moon landing that someone or a relative of someone would have given a death bed confession or written a book and made millions...

a fake moon landing is different than believing in bigfoot..... one is a man made cover up involving hundreds/thousands the other is a mystery

Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 PM

15,679 posts, read 22,717,583 times
Quote:
Nope, you don’t have to believe, you just have to respect that others do. The go to term of “tin foil hat” is considered a personal attack here, as it telling people they are stupid, ridiculous, should grow up et al.
Differences in opins all over these forums, and those who looove to debate. Read a comment in ST forum recently 'they're all crazy over there', in response to another remark made about U&P forum. And so what.
You're doing something rightTally, this forum improved over the last year, imo.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,583,176 times
Quote:
I never said that. If you can say that without it becoming a personal attack, it’s fine. Watch your “You” statements. Watch your emotions. If you’re really angry, it may come off as a personal attack. Step back, take a breath and then respond calmly.

I have to do that a lot.
You start to delete posts when China is mentioned but allow anything to be said about the US. Also the "They" tactic is not polite. "They" are not here to explain their views. Saying "They say" is a cop out, it is a way of saying something without having to discuss it. This is a discussion forum and to have fair and honest discussion the playing field should be even.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 AM

11,413 posts, read 19,403,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You start to delete posts when China is mentioned but allow anything to be said about the US. Also the "They" tactic is not polite. "They" are not here to explain their views. Saying "They say" is a cop out, it is a way of saying something without having to discuss it. This is a discussion forum and to have fair and honest discussion the playing field should be even.
Okay, that step away and breathe thing? I just took it a few steps farther. I just washed my car. I’m not angry anymore.

You don’t know what I do. You can’t see when I delete other posters posts. You can only see your deleted posts. Other posters deleted posts disappear from your sight. There’s probably ways around it, but I don’t know them, and if this is your “hill to die on”, well, I'm sorry. That’s very sad.

Trust me, I used to think like you, that my online nemisis was getting away with everything! And I was being moderated unfairly. The mods were on HIS side.

Until I became a mod. The first thing I did with my new mod powers was to check that SOB out. Wow. I was wrong. He was getting stomped on way more than me. And finally banned for it, although that happened long after he ruined the forum for me.

Now, if you really feel this way, take it up with Marka or Yac. I’m done with this.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:04 PM

26,812 posts, read 38,068,160 times
I'm fascinated with the turn this thread has taken. Paul doesn't re-post (not a complaint!) and look where we are.

Tallysmom, it does happen. I had a mod stalker for years. I received my first infraction from him shortly after joining CD and it was the same as the example below. Someone complained about a post I made saying I was calling his mother a drunk when the reference was to the plight of wives in the '50's. The mod didn't read it (or didn't understand it) and gave me an infraction.

He even called me the "f" word in a post once. It got deleted quickly, but someone that read it told me.

Quote:
You asked me if I remember what he said. Strangely enough I remember more about the language he used and his angry tone than I do about the actual content. He was saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that you were using the cover of a lame compliment in order to insult him, and that he was tired of it. As for the language, he used "f*c*" (spelled just like that if I recall correctly), and "I don't give a rat's ass." Now I wish I had copied and pasted it, but alas, it's too late for that.

What I may not have mentioned in my DM to you is that I reported his post via DM to Marka. I elected not to use the report button lest the report go to xxxxx himself, and he's the only moderator I'm afraid of. I received a one-word answer from Marka, "Thanks". Perhaps xxxxx's post will take him down, who knows?
Look at my infraction list and you'll know who it was. One time I got really upset and reported him to Yac or Marka I think it was. That was a mistake.

Here's an example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek

A single search using Google

Google

How to force "Least Use of Highway" on A Garmin Nuvi (GPSmagazine.com)
Quote:
The infraction reason from the mod

No, it was not a simple search. People come here to get help, not to be humiliated...

Entering "can I set my garmin gps to avoid interstates" is not obvious to everyone...

Be polite... Thanks in advance...
Quote:
My response

And I don't come to CD to be harassed. If, in the future you decide to chide me for a post at least take the time to read it.

I never said it was a simple search, I said it was a single search.

There was no intent to "humiliate" anyone, just pass along the fact that a search of the type I used would achieve the required results.

Calm down a bit, please. Thank you.
So, yes it does get frustrating for non-mods when we can't do anything to stop it.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 889,695 times
I'm relatively new on this subforum ... who are Marka and Yac? Sounds like the might be super moderators or site owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or