Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Have you guys ever heard of this one? It's the "face in the window" of the courthouse in Carrolltonl, Alabama. I remember seeing it as a small child, and I also remember that it did indeed look like a face, but that could have been the case of a child (or anyone, actually) seeing what they're supposed to see. Supposedly the stories about washing the glass, replacing the glass, etc., are true, but I have my doubts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picken...llton,_Alabama)

The replacement of the glass would not affect the reflections upon another piece of glass in the same position. Often objects seen in a window are simply a reflection of something outside (leaves on a tree, clouds in the sky, something on a building across the street, etc) or something inside partially seen (curtains, a part of a chair, etc). The phenomenon known as pareidolia takes over. This is the tendency of the human mind to try to make a familiar pattern out of random bits of data. Probably the most common thing people seem to see is faces. Our brain is pre-wired to look for human faces. I used to see faces in the designs on my shower wall. I see the image of a schnauzer in the marble of my fireplace. People often see Jesus/Mary/etc in our french toast, grilled cheese sandwich, tortilla, etc. A church in our town was once visited by hundreds of tourists who claimed to see the virgin Mary on the wall of the church. It was caused by light through a window being reflected onto a wall, and it went away when the angle of the sun changed after a week or two.

https://www.livescience.com/25448-pareidolia.html

I don't deny that there are things we don't understand in the universe, but many of these things have scientific explanations as yet undiscovered. I do think there may be certain forms of what are commonly seen as paranormal experiences, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, clairaudience, etc, but I believe we will one day understand the scientific basis for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Hard to put some text body, but... Who favors that there is something out there that either 1. We do know, and it is terrifying/scares us or. We don't know... However, are open that it may not be human or pure natural, etc?

Instead of "Ghosts don't exist..."
We are hairless bipedal apes on a little blue rock orbiting an average, nondescript star (among sextillions of others in the unviverse) and have never been further than the moon in the flesh. Only a century ago most of us were pooping in holes in our back yards and dying by the millions every year from basic bacterial infections. We've only been seriously chasing science for a couple centuries and still depend on burning stuff for survival.

... and we totally have a 99.8% accurate knowledge of the true nature of the universe and our place within it.

Silly monkeys...

Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,570,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We are hairless bipedal apes on a little blue rock orbiting an average, nondescript star (among sextillions of others in the unviverse) and have never been further than the moon in the flesh. Only a century ago most of us were pooping in holes in our back yards and dying by the millions every year from basic bacterial infections. We've only been seriously chasing science for a couple centuries and still depend on burning stuff for survival.

... and we totally have a 99.8% accurate knowledge of the true nature of the universe and our place within it.

Silly monkeys...

I did not used to be a money!

My grandfather was not a tadpole!

I am who I am!

Old 09-30-2018, 09:32 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Hard to put some text body, but... Who favors that there is something out there that either 1. We do know, and it is terrifying/scares us or. We don't know... However, are open that it may not be human or pure natural, etc?

Instead of "Ghosts don't exist..."
I don't know of ANYONE who thinks that the "paranormal explains everything". Most times when you hear hoof beats, expect a horse.

I do know of people who ALWAYS think that there is a "natural" explanation to everything. There just is not.

Sometimes the sound of hoof beats do not mean a horse is approaching. They can point to a zebra.

This forum is pretty much about those times when the impending hoof beats do NOT signal the approach of a horse.

EVERYONE who I know, who is open to the Paranormal is openminded and level headed. We all FIRST look at natural solutions to events where a natural situation is plausible. In most situations, that is the case. When there is an electrical problem, we call an electrician. Not a paranormal investigator, a clergy person, or a shaman.

There are sometimes when seeking a so called "rational" solution is an obvious attempt to grasp at straws. Sometimes what occurred really can not be explained through "normal" methods.

Sometimes it is irrational to believe that what just took place somehow has a natural case.

I'm open minded to BOTH.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:13 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
It wasn't too long ago people murdered virgins to appease the gods. I guess humans have made some progress. Sadly, it seems there is still a way to go.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-01-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I've had way too many totally inexplicable experiences to believe anything other than some things can't be explained through science or logic or whatever else makes it easier for people to sleep at night. I do think that when people push these things away and go to ridiculous lengths to invent explanations, it's mostly because of fear.

Same here.....I agree.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:
I did not used to be a money!

My grandfather was not a tadpole!

I am who I am!
Right, you have always been a Homo Sapien, as was your Grandfather.

Money has changed a lot though, and used to be worth more but I guess you mean "monkey"... and yes, no primate alive today has ever been a human or vice-versa.

But go back far enough and the speciation branches all eventually converge to the same long extinct monkey-like creature whether you like it or not.

...Unless we are a genetic bash of Grey Aliens and Sasquatches and/or data in a computer simulation being generated out in the real universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal