U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:48 AM

9,049 posts, read 20,141,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I have definitely had paranormal experiences with the smell of cigarettes. One way to help figure out if itís from a smoker who used to live there, or whether you are having a paranormal experience, is to ask yourself whether it smells more like a freshly lit cigarette, or like old, stale smoke. You should be able to tell the difference. Weíve all been in a hotel room where the curtains and carpet reeked, or sat next to someone on public transportation whose clothing carried the stench of nasty old smoke thatís been hanging around for a while. That scent is quite different than the smell of a cigarette thatís being smoked in the moment.

When I first moved into an older home, it drove me nuts that although when we first moved in, the house had no lingering smells whatsoever, at times I could smell the telltale scent of someone smoking a cigarette nearby, always in the same room. This was not an old, stale smoke smell, it was the clearly recognizable scent of smoke emanating from a lit cigarette. At first I thought someone outside was smoking, but I looked outside and no one was there. This happened many times. Between times, there was no lingering smell. Finally I realized it was the way that my dad, who had been a lifelong smoker, was saying hi to me and letting me know that he was around. So my advice is, if it smells fresh, ask yourself if you know anyone who has passed on who was a smoker. They may be just trying to get your attention to say hi.

It could be either, or both. But in the realm of the paranormal, this type of thing does happen. Just because every hoofbeat isnít a zebra doesnít mean zebras donít exist.
Every now and then I smell the fresh cig and a perfume that I know was a woman that used to date my neighbor. I also smell the flowers we used around my dads casket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM

17,501 posts, read 21,673,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Every now and then I smell the fresh cig and a perfume that I know was a woman that used to date my neighbor. I also smell the flowers we used around my dads casket
I've smelled funeral flowers and my mother's perfume. In the living room of my 1920's home, I occasionally smell fresh cigarette smoke, and pipe smoke. Then it vanishes. I think they are traces of people who once lied in the home. I am not the only one who smells it.

Fortunately, it leaves no residue.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 AM

680 posts, read 400,871 times
So something weird happen, most likely was my cats or or maybe a rough sound while I was dreaming thinking is was in real life?

Anyways, Woke up around 12 something AM due to some banging...but banging sounded like someone was smacking my plantation shutters or blinds? I dont know, cant remember well. Woke up, checked the cameras thinking it was someone trying to break in or checking doors... I dont know.

not the first time Ive heard noises or a bang to wake me up. It could be my cats though, but the strange part is, I smelled perfume lingering in my bedroom and def was not the wife, but it didnt last long. I was trying to smell the bedsheets and just around to figure where its coming from

either way, i fell asleep after the banging and havent heard it after going back to sleep. If it is paranormal, why wait so long for something to happen? been in this house for over 4 years and barely anything happens. Just trying to find an explanation since i still think its not paranormal

Last edited by willc86; 09-26-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 20,141,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
So something weird happen, most likely was my cats or or maybe a rough sound while I was dreaming thinking is was in real life?

Anyways, Woke up around 12 something AM due to some banging...but banging sounded like someone was smacking my plantation shutters or blinds? I dont know, cant remember well. Woke up, checked the cameras thinking it was someone trying to break in or checking doors... I dont know.

not the first time Ive heard noises or a bang to wake me up. It could be my cats though, but the strange part is, I smelled perfume lingering in my bedroom and def was not the wife, but it didnt last long. I was trying to smell the bedsheets and just around to figure where its coming from

either way, i fell asleep after the banging and havent heard it after going back to sleep. If it is paranormal, why wait so long for something to happen? been in this house for over 4 years and barely anything happens. Just trying to find an explanation since i still think its not paranormal
Do you recognize the perfume?

I also smell my dad's work clothes. He had a gas service station where I worked, there are days I know he's been here because of the smell. Wish he'd stay longer. My brother messes with my one tablet game while my dad will reboot my cell and make my computer do weird stuff.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you recognize the perfume?

I also smell my dad's work clothes. He had a gas service station where I worked, there are days I know he's been here because of the smell. Wish he'd stay longer. My brother messes with my one tablet game while my dad will reboot my cell and make my computer do weird stuff.
oddly do not smell the perfume anymore, nor do I recognize it. I was waiting to repost to see if it will happen again - has not. Havent smelled anything in my house since. Well, I guess I can update if it ever happens again

Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,167,857 times
Definitely a demon infestation. They generally smoke Marlboroís whilst smokin and jokin next to the door to hell

Old 10-09-2018, 04:11 PM

137 posts, read 64,089 times
relative humidity, temperature, wind, breeze, open/closed windows, open/closed fireplace flue, furnace/AC on or off, state of mind, conscious/unconscious thought all play a role.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 AM

just an update...but I have not encountered anything since. pretty weird but if anything else happens ill repost here

Old Today, 06:26 AM

72,345 posts, read 63,815,944 times
Quote:
hmm good point! I bought the house, but only myself is doing reconstruction. Never smelled cigs down there, so its the first time...maybe 2...smelled it once upstairs also.. could be its staying around but I do live in Colorado so its rarely humid.

my house is about 15 yrs old. so pretty old? lol
Yes, odors can be paranormal. They say, for example, a loved one can let you know s/he's around, by somehow creating a scent you'd identify with him/her. Their favorite perfume, for example.

The cleaning lady might be onto something. You could look up the previous owner, or go back to the owner before that, and try to find info re: whether anyone died in the basement. Or you could try to find a bona-fide psychic, and have them go through the house (without telling them there's anything unusual specifically in the basement), and see if they come up with some info. If they're the real deal, they'll notice something in the basement. But you said you smelled it upstairs once? So it moves around? This should be interesting....

Quote:
just an update...but I have not encountered anything since. pretty weird but if anything else happens ill repost here
OK, in the meantime, scout around, Google around, but also go to your local metaphysical bookstore or "spiritual" bookstore (not the religious kind), and see if they can recommend a psychic to "clear" some odd energy from your house. Sometimes those bookstores have "real" psychics to recommend, sometimes most of their references are fakes. But it's a place to start looking, if your town has such a store.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

12,995 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Quote:
Do you let any of your cats outside? Do you have neighbors that will feed them from time to time? Do any of the neighbors smoke? Also about service station smells: Cats will sometimes climb on motors for the heat. Even if your cats do not go outside, but have access to your garage; they could still smell like a motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal