U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,981,727 times

Advertisements

Here is an article dated 13 Sep 2018 in the Daily Express UK about a structure in Antarctica which is most odd.

Reading the article, it has apparently appeared over the years since 2001. There is an obvious airstrip close to it (scroll down the article for image) which is strange since the Norwegian base is about 200 miles away from this structure.

Maybe the reason for this structure in the middle of no-where is a mystery. I always thought there was something fishy going on in Antarctica.

So...any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 01:12 PM

2,013 posts, read 908,368 times
I don't think they're structures at all, but just aberrations caused by wind-blown snow.

I'm not familiar with the website, but given some of the other stories that the site contains, it's not exactly credible.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:25 PM

The 'airstrip' is rather large for an artifact and some looping 'roadway' runs towards the odd feature in the 5th image down the article and reproduced here. (see the first post for the link to the original article)

It does not appear to be a random aberrational image artifact either, so what makes you think it is not really there?. Yes some of the earlier images could be Antarctic wind-blown features but in this one the presence of the airstrip-like feature is odd and thinking logically maybe would need to be there if humans needed to get to any structure in the middle of nowhere.

The Daily Express is a mainstream newspaper in the UK. It is not one read by judges and and lawyers and top city folk perhaps, such as The Times, or The Guardian, but is one of the non-rag newspapers. Possibly a bit above The Mirror or The Sun with its Page 3 girlie.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:24 AM

13,129 posts, read 10,560,296 times
I used my Goggle Earth program to go to that location. But, with my program, the imagery was dated to 1998 and not visible.

My best guess would be some form of ammunition bunkers or maybe tents. Possibly it could have been storage for an old WWII secret base? But I wish that I could confirm that with my own observations. I got the latitude and longitude off the Daily Express article.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 AM

2,013 posts, read 908,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used my Goggle Earth program to go to that location. But, with my program, the imagery was dated to 1998 and not visible.

My best guess would be some form of ammunition bunkers or maybe tents. Possibly it could have been storage for an old WWII secret base? But I wish that I could confirm that with my own observations. I got the latitude and longitude off the Daily Express article.
Fish, how'd you get the coordinates from the article to enter into Google Earth? All I saw was that it's 200 miles away from a Norwegian research station.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 AM

4,128 posts, read 2,710,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Maybe the reason for this structure in the middle of no-where is a mystery. I always thought there was something fishy going on in Antarctica.

So...any ideas?
Being a former "Antarctican", who lived and worked down there for two full winters and a part of a third. It could easily be a field camp, if it is indeed "man made".

The US has several field camps each summer some quite large even, where scientists mostly do ice core drilling. These camps are "put in" over a few summer seasons, then the science is done for X amount of summers, then the camps are broken down and everything removed.

Usually the country doing the research, will do a traverse over hundreds of miles or more, where a small crew will drive (really slowly) with fuel, snow groomers, etc. and created a runway so LC-130 (has skis) can land and get the bigger stuff in there to do the science and create the field camp.

Having lived in Antarctica and been all over the world, I can think of many other remote/isolated places I would choose to build a secret city, like the article suggests, but that's just my opinion.

If you want a job down there, just let me know, I might still have some connections, and you can see for yourself what really goes on there. We're all in Hawaiian shirts and shorts, livin' the dream!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 AM

13,129 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Fish, how'd you get the coordinates from the article to enter into Google Earth? All I saw was that it's 200 miles away from a Norwegian research station.

If you pause the video at one minute and eight seconds you can read the latitude and longitude. 75" 0'46.98"S 0" 4"52.71"E.

Let me know if you see anything.

I took a second look at the area and one problem "Earth' has with that location is it sits on the edge of old Goggle photography and newer photography (1998 vs 2012).

Last edited by fisheye; 09-29-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 09:11 AM

4,128 posts, read 2,710,180 times
For those who have 15 mintues and want to see what an Antartic traverse is like and how they set up a field camp from nothing, there's a great video on Vimeo about the SALSA (Subglacial Antarctic Lakes Scientific Access) camp "put in".

This short film follows the SALSA (Subglacial Antarctic Lakes Scientific Access) Traverse team as they use specialized tractors to haul roughly 1,000,000 lbs of science equipment across 600 miles of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. Large scale Antarctic research would be impossible without the hard work of the highly specialized "traversers" who spend months on end towing equipment across the ice. The SALSA Traverse's goal over the 17/18 field season was to establish a safe route to the study site and drop off equipment to be in place for the 18/19 field season. In December 2018, SALSA will drill 4,000 feet into Subglacial Lake Mercer to research the scarcely explored subglacial environment.

https://vimeo.com/268874448

Old 09-29-2018, 05:21 PM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
That's awesome! I was a military instructor and one of my students got orders to the Antarctica. She was understandably dazed. I thought it was an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime adventure! Wish I'd kept track of her! It was around 1990. No social media like today.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:36 AM

cjseliga - Interesting that you worked down there for a while.

There are a few questions which I have always wanted to ask of someone who has worked there, such as where do the scientists get their maps of the area from?

Strange lake-like features in Antarctica These are not something I have found but something I have been wondering about for some time.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 09-30-2018 at 03:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal