U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,263,876 times

Advertisements

Hot off the presses:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4491255/..._campaign=2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 PM

11,351 posts, read 7,825,285 times
As a kid my family would drive to the Okanagan and stay at a cabin resort. We always got the cabin named Ogopogo.

I've been on a boat on the lake while in Kelowna, and yes, some waves do look very much like a sea creature.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 PM

13,118 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As a kid my family would drive to the Okanagan and stay at a cabin resort. We always got the cabin named Ogopogo.

I've been on a boat on the lake while in Kelowna, and yes, some waves do look very much like a sea creature.
I think that is what makes me so skeptical; all the boats on the lake. It is a large lake; but it has many piers and lots of fishing and recreational boats. Many of those boats have the latest depth and fish finders. This is not an unexplored lake under the Antarctic ice.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,212,714 times
Of all the dumb paranormal topics, lake monsters take the cake. There is simply no way that a breeding population of monsters could live in a lake undetected in this modern age. In the case of Loch Ness, the Loch is only 16,000 years old. So what possibly could be in there?

Most lake monsters are actually logs that have fallen into the lake (this has been more or less proven, as 100% of sighing take place in lakes surrounded by trees) with rip-tides, schools of fish, otters, birds and other animals contributing.

On the very high end, there is occasionally a known species that shouldn't be there. In Cali somewhere (forget exactly where) they drained a lake with a famous lake monster and found a single giant alligator snapping turtle that someone had apparently let lose.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:30 AM

4,030 posts, read 3,263,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Most lake monsters are actually logs that have fallen into the lake (this has been more or less proven, as 100% of sighing take place in lakes surrounded by trees) with rip-tides, schools of fish, otters, birds and other animals contributing.
Also, standing waves.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/video...e-loch-ness-m/

Most likely candidate for Ogopogo in my opinion is a very large and very old lake sturgeon - historically, they grew to 20+ feet plus in lakes and rivers like the Mississippi. Here's a 9 footer taken in British Columbia a few years ago:

Giant White Sturgeon caught May 21, 2016 in Mission BC - Silversides Fishing Adventures

Old 10-06-2018, 08:05 AM

5,741 posts, read 1,285,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I did see Oingo Boingo when I was in college but so did the other 10,000 who were at the concert.

But in this case someone who makes a hobby or career out of looking for this creature just happened to be the only one who saw it and more than once. And as usual there is not one scant piece of actual evidence to prove it. However of all the countless thousands of tourists that visit the lake this year, not one has seen anything. What are the odds of this?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Also, standing waves.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/video...e-loch-ness-m/

Most likely candidate for Ogopogo in my opinion is a very large and very old lake sturgeon - historically, they grew to 20+ feet plus in lakes and rivers like the Mississippi. Here's a 9 footer taken in British Columbia a few years ago:

Giant White Sturgeon caught May 21, 2016 in Mission BC - Silversides Fishing Adventures

But the local fishermen should have spotted this on their fish finders. It is a large lake and it is deep; but it has many boats. It could have been otters, maybe even a moose (they like to swim), maybe a bear? The lake is not that wide; there are not that many hiding places for mythical beast.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:04 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,772,026 times
Oh no!

Not another cryptid who’s existence needs championing!

Actually; I kept seeing similar references as I was doing the archive searches for the BF threads but I wasn’t going bring it up ...

Old 10-06-2018, 09:34 PM

5,741 posts, read 1,285,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But the local fishermen should have spotted this on their fish finders. It is a large lake and it is deep; but it has many boats. It could have been otters, maybe even a moose (they like to swim), maybe a bear? The lake is not that wide; there are not that many hiding places for mythical beast.

Its very easy to spot so called sea monsters with fish finders if they were actually real. Its also easy to take a pic that could possibly be a sea monster but is not. Since nothing has shown up on anyone's fish finder pretty obvious its not out there.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its very easy to spot so called sea monsters with fish finders if they were actually real. Its also easy to take a pic that could possibly be a sea monster but is not. Since nothing has shown up on anyone's fish finder pretty obvious its not out there.

This is almost the same argument against Big Foot with all of the trail cameras. You reach a point where the odds are just too great against something existing when there are so many different ways that these creatures can be filmed or seen on fish finders/sonar. As time moves on; the less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or