U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 28 days ago)

4,025 posts, read 3,230,963 times

Advertisements

My childhood home was visited almost every other night by a gray man. My brother and I shared a room when we were little and this tall gray shadow man would appear at the foot of my bed all the time. He never did anything to scare us. He appeared to us so commonly, my mom started saying he was our guardian angel. He even would play a note on our piano from time to time. The home was built in the 1960s and no one ever died in the home, so I dont have a back story. But Ive never seen him anywhere besides my bedroom and never felt it was anything other than a shadow ghost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 AM

73,189 posts, read 64,726,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
My childhood home was visited almost every other night by a gray man. My brother and I shared a room when we were little and this tall gray shadow man would appear at the foot of my bed all the time. He never did anything to scare us. He appeared to us so commonly, my mom started saying he was our guardian angel. He even would play a note on our piano from time to time. The home was built in the 1960s and no one ever died in the home, so I dont have a back story. But Ive never seen him anywhere besides my bedroom and never felt it was anything other than a shadow ghost.
Fascinating. Did your mom see him, or was she responding simply to your reports? I guess your descriptions didn't remind her of any deceased relatives she may have known? You kids had a piano in your room? Or did he go elsewhere around the house?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:54 AM

118 posts, read 98,730 times
My mom and her siblings heard the banshee wail the night her mother died.

Northern Ireland, circa 1910, a bitter cold and rainy night (only a fireplace to heat the cottage for 8.)
She (grandmother) has been very ill and the kids took turns sitting up with her. Then, in the middle of the night, they heard a terrible, mournful "keening" from out in the field.

It was, ultimately, a sad night as their elderly dad died shortly after, breaking up the family to the 4 corners of the globe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 AM

136 posts, read 52,391 times
I was a live in caregiver hired to help take care of an elderly woman dying from dementia.

Within a couple years, she passed away. Before she passed, she unfortunately was in bed for
a week while hospice came in to help and document. It was horrible to see her linger like that,
her tiny body reminded me of a corpse with a beating heart. Eventually she took her last
breath held in the arms of a son and surrounded by family. She had lived in that particular
house for decades, but it was not a home that she had considered her favorite. Apparently,
she either did not realize she was dead or she was more attached to the home than we
realized. Her spirit definitely remained, and ultimately caused us to move.

The night before her service, her family stayed overnight with us in the house. I had a dream
that I was in a very large reception area full of people. I look across the room, she is standing
there and her eyes lock with mine. It was a vivid dream, I recall the details so well. She was
wearing different eyeglasses, her hair was perfectly coiffed and she was all dressed up so nice.
She did not really smile, just gave me a "I know you" look. I was completely shocked to see her,
and I started walking toward her while calling her name and asking her what she was doing there,
because she was supposed to be........Before I could say "dead", she turned opaque and then
vanished. I considered asking the other people who were all around inside this reception hall
if they had just noticed what I noticed, but I realized they were not paying attention and I woke
up with a JOLT. Like a catapult, feeling like I just saw a ghost. I told her family about it in the
morning during breakfast, hoping it would give them some comfort. Her husband told me she
was very fussy about her appearance.

A couple weeks later, I was at home alone. I stayed on in the house as the family asked me
to stay on and look after her elderly husband who I now knew so well as my young son and
I lived in the basement and had always gotten along with him like family. So I am in my tiny
basement bathroom, directly under the hallway that led from her bedroom where she died.
It was daytime, and I noticed distinct walking back and forth overhead. Sort of like what
someone would do in a sneaky way to get your attention. I ran upstairs to look at the hall
way and the hallway was empty. Then the phone rang, it was one of her son's calling. Very
eerie.

Shortly after that, her widowed husband broke down crying asking me if we can please move.
He had lived in the house with her ( 2nd marriage after her first husband and her grown kids
dad died) for many years. He told me that he was waking up to find her staring at him, and
that he could hear her calling to him and that he was very scared. So he sold the house and
we all moved out. I noticed in the now over ten years past, that the house has never had a
long term owner or renter. It looks so neglected now and I always wanted to ask whomever
lived there if they had ever noticed anything unusual, but I live several states away so I can't.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:49 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,545,137 times
I've shared this in this forum on Halloweens past:

When I was in my 20's I worked long hours at a job that often left me exhausted. I'd go home & directly to bed where I would often see "floaters", i.e., gray spots in my vision. Occasionally some would seem to form shapes that looked to my sleepy mind vaguely like real things - spiders or balloons or birds in the air. No biggie, it was just a symptom of my tired brain & eyes. Still happens sometimes.

Then one night a friend had crashed at my place and I came home around midnight and crawled into bed. My friend was already sound asleep.
I was in my usual position - on the left side of the bed, lying on my left side facing away from the bed. The floaters appeared as I drifted off but this time began to form a much larger shape that looked like a man standing by the bed. I wasn't at all alarmed, just thought "huh, that's interesting".
Then I felt my friend sit up in bed. She said, "There's someone in here!" I quickly turned on the lamp and turned to look at her. She was looking right at the spot where I had just seen the man-shaped floaters. I said, "No, there's not".

My friend laid down and went right back to sleep, she had no memory of it the next day. I got out of bed, turned on a lot of lights and the tv and didn't sleep that night or the next few nights either.
(If anyone's thinking it was a shadow: it was a 2nd story apartment; the bedroom had a single window, with lined drapes, that faced a tract of woods and no streets or streetlamps or buildings or any light sources. There was no balcony or porch or walkway of any kind on that side.)

Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 AM

222 posts, read 155,571 times
I owned an old colonial home(1800ish) in NH. After buying it a few people, told me I had purchased the haunted house, but didn't think anything of it. Shortly after buying it I heard the sound of something bouncing down the back stairs. I looked up you could hear an item bouncing down the stairs then hitting the wall where the stairs turned 90 degrees. The next time I was vacuuming downstairs in a room adjacent to the space the stairs came into I found a marble. The sound and the marble finding went on and off for a couple of years. I inquired to a couple of previous owners going back 50 years or so if they had heard ghosts or strange sounds at all. They had stories of chairs moving, a piano being played. I was told a story about the people I purchased the house from and how the wife had seen a little girl looking out a window in the room next to the back staircase. During 1996 I had a women helping me design some product packaging, she came over to show me the proofs. When I opened the door for her to come in she said you have a presence here. I kind of looked at her and said oh really where? We wandered about the house until we came to one of the large bedrooms as I opened the door she said there's an old women over in the corner crouched on the floor. I couldn't see anything there, but some weeks earlier I had heard footsteps in that room when I was stoking a fire in the fireplace in the parlor below that bedroom. I was certainly freaked out, but I was never approached nor did I see any apparitions during the 20+ years I owned the house. I sold the house in 2006 and have owned two old houses since with no sounds, ghosts or whatever since. I still have the marbles sitting in a pewter dish. During 1997 or 1998, around Halloween I was watching TV, the local station was going to be interviewing the high witch for NH. When segment opened it was the same women that had been designing the packaging for me. I had no idea she was any kind of witch, other than she could sense ghosts.

Last edited by nativenewenglander; 10-21-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM

73,189 posts, read 64,726,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I owned an old colonial home(1800ish) in NH. After buying it a few people, told me I had purchased the haunted house, but didn't think anything of it. Shortly after buying it I heard the sound of something bouncing down the back stairs. I looked up you could hear an item bouncing down the stairs then hitting the wall where the stairs turned 90 degrees. The next time I was vacuuming downstairs in a room adjacent to the space the stairs came into I found a marble. The sound and the marble finding went on and off for a couple of years. I inquired to a couple of previous owners going back 50 years or so if they had heard ghosts or strange sounds at all. They had stories of chairs moving, a piano being played. I was told a story about the people I purchased the house from and how the wife had seen a little girl looking out a window in the room next to the back staircase. During 1996 I had a women helping me design some product packaging, she came over to show me the proofs. When I opened the door for her to come in she said you have a presence here. I kind of looked at her and said oh really where? We wandered about the house until we came to one of the large bedrooms as I opened the door she said there's an old women over in the corner crouched on the floor. I couldn't see anything there, but some weeks earlier I had heard footsteps in that room when I was stoking a fire in the fireplace in the parlor below that bedroom. I was certainly freaked out, but I was never approached nor did I see any apparitions during the 20+ years I owned the house. I sold the house in 2006 and have owned two old houses since with no sounds, ghosts or whatever since. I still have the marbles sitting in a pewter dish. During 1997 or 1998, around Halloween I was watching TV, the local station was going to be interviewing the high witch for NH. When segment opened it was the same women that had been designing the packaging for me. I had no idea she was any kind of witch, other than she could sense ghosts.
Thanks for posting! What does "high witch for NH" mean, exactly? You should Google her name, and see what comes up. If anything interesting comes up, please share. Interesting, that she saw an old woman, but not the little girl. Did you mention the little girl and the marbles to her?

MORE INFO NEEDED, OP! You've whetted our appetite, but there's no more info?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:45 PM

222 posts, read 155,571 times
She was the high witch in NH according to the show. I did get invited to her house a couple times, once for a party. I found out she bought the house because someone hung themselves in the barn, yikes! During the party I knew no one else except the witch, I noticed almost everyone was wearing a gold ring with an oval red stone. I didn't have one and didn't stay that long, as the hanging man story sort of made me want to run out of there. Honestly, I don't know more than that. I just heard today from the woman that bought the house from me, no mention by her of any ghosts, so maybe they have gone away. A couple other story about the house is I had two black labs. One day I couldn't find them anywhere in the house. I called and called and not a sound, finally I opened the parlor door and there they were lying silent on the carpet. How they got in there I'll never know as the door was always kept shut. During 1998 I got married, after our wedding we arrived home from a week away, I was getting my wife settled in the house. There was stack of towels outside the closet and they sat there for a few days, finally I asked my wife if she was going to put the towels away. She said she was waiting for me to put them away as she had not put them there nor had I. This closet was just outside the room that the old lady was seen crouching in by the witch.

Old Today, 10:03 PM

4,584 posts, read 7,581,449 times
Very interesting guys.

Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal