Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM

12,636 posts, read 14,772,419 times

Advertisements

It's the month of Halloween, so this is the thread to share any (real) stories of the paranormal that you've encountered. Thank God nothing directly re: this matter has happened to me. But here's a few stories that I have:

Story #1

There was a brief time one summer that I got the opportunity to work in a haunted state mental hospital. I was pretty wary after looking up some scary articles and even a couple of videos about it. I found out it was haunted & just scary from what some mental patients did, but I went ahead and did it and it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I did have to walk amongst them in which any one of them could have gone berserk at any moment...I kept my eyes on them like a hawk & tried to keep some distance. Overall, I'm glad I did the UNPAID experience. Glad I was only there during the day too because there was a creepiness factor just driving onto the grounds past the security entrance gate.

Here's a couple of the videos and articles I found and thank GOD none of this happened to me!

Video on Norwalk Walker - Ghost Caught On Tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gcBkYcZBBQ

Violence At Calif. Mental Hospitals: 'This Is The Norm':
https://www.npr.org/2011/07/21/13785...is-is-the-norm

Convicted Madonna Stalker Nabbed Near Mental Hospital In Norwalk:
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...al-in-norwalk/

I had found an article about an 'Alleged eye-biting father sent to LA County mental hospital' that I went to, but the link no longer seems to work.

Story #2

I used to work at a school. Two custodians who've worked the night shift have told me the school is haunted. The school was built in the 1920s or 30s. One custodian said a child died in one of the students' bathrooms (don't know how) & he's been in/near there & heard someone say HELLO. He said he keeps the radio on to keep him company. The other custodian says it's haunted & has heard talking in her ear. I believe it because the school is old.

Story #3

At my apt, what looked exactly like a wooden doorstop appeared on my kitchen counter out of the blue & to this day, I still don't know how it got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 05:51 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
My husband just suffered a seizure while driving. He’s fine, no signs of damage or that will happen again, we’re doing all things you need to do, including me driving him to work. And it makes no sense for me to sit around while he works, so I’m working again. Anyhow, one of our properties(we own and operate a Janitorial company) is a high end condo complex, live/work spaces constructed out of an old large brick historical warehouse. Unlike a lot of our other places, the hallsways are dead silent. There is very little noise transfer.

The first week I was there, I was vacuuming the first floor, which is lobby and elevator, no units. No one was there, there are complete and total sight lines. My vac was squeaking, and I was wearing my hearing protection. Over the squeaking, I heard whistling. A little tune, like the chorus of a song. Over and over.

Paradolia right? Except at my other building, the vac squeaks and no whistling.

The next day, I vacuumed the second floor, with units, but I didn’t see a soul. Vac still squeaking. Except this time, there was a person talking to me. No one was there.

I decided to ignore the whole thing. And apparently, so has the whistler. It’s been a three weeks, and nothing sense, so, yay.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times
Your YouTube video works fine. But the other two links do not. As far as that YouTube video the reflection on the floor reminds me of looking at the picture from a pinhole camera. It looks like it is a reflection of the light coming in from the small window in the faraway door. In that case something passing by the outside of the door would not be visible at that distance. But it could produce the movement in the reflection on the floor.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:49 AM

OP back. Let's see if these links work:

https://www.npr.org/2011/07/21/13785...is-is-the-norm

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...al-in-norwalk/

https://www.presstelegram.com/2014/0...ng-conditions/

Here's a new link I never saw until now:

http://creepyla.com/2016/09/09/a-wal...ed-sanitarium/

#3 on this list:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/sout...sylums-so-cal/

#9 on this list:

https://la.curbed.com/maps/bela-lugo...es-house-grave

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-13-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,972,534 times

Thanks! All those links work but they are more of a historical account and do not really point towards paranormal experiences. However I am sure many suffered in those old mental hospitals.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:51 AM

^ Sure thing fisheye! As early as it was built & as creepy as it looks, it would be a shocker that a place like this ISN'T haunted. It lists it on a couple or more lists of haunted places.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
OP, that's some piece of real estate! Someone could buy it, and run a community college, or private boarding school, or whatever. What's its current status? Who owns it?

Old 10-13-2018, 01:08 PM

^ Ruth4Truth, it's still "alive & well" in operation. There are bldgs that are old & abandoned on the grounds & there are some much newer bldgs too. But there's still patients there & all.

When I used to drive on the grounds in the mornings when I interned/worked there, it's like a scene from a creepy movie, h a!

Old 10-13-2018, 02:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,898,290 times
Default Story #1: The House I Grew Up In

I've shared this during October before but this time I've fleshed out the story a little more.

We moved to northern Illinois when I was two and lived with my father's parents. It was a 19th century house about five blocks from the Mississippi. When I was very young, I remember my parents and grandparents having a party downstairs and there was a lot of shouting and thumping. My mother told me later that my grandmother and her cousin were having a ouija board session in the dining room, when the dining room table starting lifting up from the floor and moving around. They burned the ouija board in our back yard the next day, and my mother said that a figure formed in the smoke and seemed to be reaching out for them.

My grandmother's cousin was a medium, and my grandmother may have been one, too. She got mailings from the Rosicrucians, used a scrying stone and a crystal pendulum to contact the spirits. Not long after the ouija board session, I started hearing my name being called in my bedroom, which was a sickroom built over the kitchen. I told myself it was my guardian angel, and since it never answered back, decided to ignore it.

As the family grew, we traded off bathrooms; my brother and I moved to another bedroom, and my sisters to the old sickroom. My oldest sister had frequent night terrors, and would see spiders all over her bed. My brother and I moved back to the sick room, and a couple of times I awoke to my brother yelling; he said a small dark shadow was trying to crawl onto the bed, and the bed was shaking violently.

There were stairs to the attic in the bathroom, and I developed a real dread of those stairs and what might come down them. I left the door to the attic cracked when I was in there so I could keep an eye on the stairs. Part of the attic was walled off; my sister many years later pried off a board and we looked inside; there were Victorian era toys in there, a chalkboard attached to a wall, and ash and charring from a fire. We knew nothing of the house's history before my grandparents purchased it, so the nature of the fire remains an unknown.

I moved away for college, and would stay at the house over the holidays. My dad was a musician who worked until the bars closed, and he would have a snack in the kitchen (just off the dining room). He told my sisters that he would often see a dark figure moving across the dining room into a small room next to it which we used as a piano room. When I was visiting one time, my mother and sister appeared to be frightened, and asked me to come into the piano room. There was the sound of a woman sobbing coming from the air in the corner of the room - and no one else was in the house. Thinking it might be the woman next door, I went outside but there was no sound out there.

In the early 70s, my brother joined the army, and moved to the UK where he got involved in past life regression and ghost hunting - ghost hunting wasn't really a "thing" yet. One holiday he had a seance with family members - I refused to participate because of the experiences I'll describe in Story #2. He was speaking to whatever was in the house, when my youngest sister who was in the circle began crying and jerking spasmodically and begging "Make it stop!" I felt a crawling sensation in my spine going up to my head, as though there were fingers probing my brain. I made them break the circle and my brother was furious.

That was the last time I had what you might call a paranormal experience. I've avoided them ever since because my impressions was that whatever was in the two haunted houses I lived in, it was not human, had never been human, and did not wish us well. The house I grew up in is gone now, and I sometimes wonder what walks the empty lot at night where it once stood.

Last edited by Vasily; 10-13-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 02:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,898,290 times
Default Story #2: An Old Farm House

I attended what they call today a community college in my home town, and transferred to the University of Iowa for the last two years. In between, I moved out of my parents’ house (the house from Story #1) and rented an old farmhouse a few miles from the Mississippi with a couple of friends. Because I sometimes worked evenings and they worked mostly the day shift, I told them to go ahead and find something and I’d check it out with them.

They found the old farmhouse and we went there on the weekend. It was late autumn and twilight; from the outside, the house looked promising - a row of cherry trees right next to the house, an old well, and a grassy lot next to the trees; there was a one-car garage behind the house, but plenty of parking in the driveway and on the street.

Since the power was out, we brought flashlights. Downstairs was a huge living room with a bay window, a dining room, and a kitchen with a glassed-in porch at the back. A stairway with a landing connected to both the front hall and the kitchen, and standing on the landing you were facing the dining room. There was a door to the basement in the kitchen.

We went upstairs and started exploring the bedrooms, deciding who was going to go where. Suddenly, there was the sound of several people downstairs; I thought maybe the landlord had given someone else keys, but then a woman screamed. We looked at each other and went downstairs. The door was closed and no one was either in the house or on the sidewalk outside.

We rented the house. Now, some may wonder why we’d do so after the phantom visitor incident; I’ve found that when something doesn’t fit your assumptions about how the world works, you tend to filter it out. Naw, something that weird couldn’t have really happened, Could it?

I remember one evening we were out having dinner or something and we drove into the driveway and approached the back door to the glassed-in porch. It was a dead still summer’s night, without the hint of a wind and there was no central air in the house - yet the curtains were moving against the glass. It almost looked as though they were animated and crawling against the glass rather than being blown by a breeze. When we got inside, two of us got beers and sat on the landing on the stairs to drink them. I put my hand down into a cold spot; it was a column of frigid air maybe eight inches across, going up like a pillar. My friend had walked into the dining room, and had his head tilted, listening to something. I asked him what was going on, and he said: “Listen”. There was the sound of a baby breathing in its sleep coming from the living room near the bay window; we looked at each other and went into the living room. There was a couch in front of the bay window, and the sound of a baby breathing seemed to be coming from the air over the couch. A visitor slept on the couch, and reported the next day he heard footsteps coming across the floor toward him and had the sensation he was being watched. Then something touched him as he laid there.

Over the months, strange occurrences happened on a daily basis; one night a visitor and I were going out for dinner and looking up at the stars from the grassy area next to the cherry trees. Suddenly, there was the sound of footsteps on the grass between us. My friend verified he had heard the same thing. For the next five minutes or so, we heard footsteps walking or running next to us or between us. We went to dinner and later, when I tried to ask my friend about the experience he became angry and refused to talk about it. There were shadow figures seen in the upstairs hall, sparkling lights appearing and disappearing in various places, bizarre sounds. A fuse unscrewed itself from the fuse box in the attic when we were listening to music one night. The acoustics were weird - one afternoon I heard two women talking outside the back door but when I went to see who was there there was no one, but there were two women talking in a yard several yards away. But from outside, you couldn’t hear them.

The strangest experiences of all? I was alone in the house, typing at the dining room table one night when I heard a dragging sound from the basement. I grabbed a baseball bat we had for “protection” and opened the basement door. There was no one in the basement. I closed the door and began typing again; the dragging sound began again. Filled with terror, I left the house and looked back at it - I had the sensation that the house itself was watching me. As I approached my car, I heard something call my name. After that experience, I would not stay in the house alone - I’d wait in my car or on the front porch for my roommates to return.

One night, I awoke to the sound of something heavy tumbling down the attic stairs, which were next to my bedroom. I went to the attic door, and went up into the attic; there was nothing. For several minutes, I was treated to the sound of something heavy rolling down the stairs and hitting the attic door: thump-thump-thump-thump-crash.

Neither of my sisters would visit me at that house. One of them came over once, and immediately left because she could feel something was off about the place. We moved out after a year or so, and I went back to finish college. But for years, I’d visit over the holidays and find myself driving by the place, stopping in front and looking at it, as though I had an unhealthy connection to it.

Today it’s a daycare center. I haven’t had similar experiences anywhere else since that time. I sometimes wonder if something followed me from my parents’ house (see Story #1) and I left it behind when I went away to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal