U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:26 AM

51,344 posts, read 50,591,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
After 911, it wasn’t unusual to hear about someone who worked at the WTC, but decided not to go to work that day. My cousins wife is one of them, a very dedicated employee who almost never called in sick and would not take a sick day just to avoid going to work. She woke up that day, and as she is preparing for work, she just had an urge to stay home. No reason, just a sudden feeling that she should not go to work. Very unlike her to do this.

As the tragedy unfolded, she got physically sick thinking about what could have happened, and, to this day, still cannot rationalize how she decided to stay home. Definitely some survivor guilt involved.
Interesting. I'm a survivor who was in the WTC on that day, and I had not one inkling or premonition of what might happen. The only thing that even comes remotely close is that I was out on the WTC Plaza outside One smoking a cigarette a week or so before, and I idly looked up at Two and thought, "I wonder how long these things will be here?" However, it was more along the lines of thinking "what is the expected useful life of the buildings" rather than a terrorist attack, which of course we always knew we were a target for.

But a coworker who was always at work by 8 "just couldn't get moving" that morning and was still in NJ on the train when we got hit. A secretary in my department called in sick that day because she had such nightmares of fire during the night that she couldn't get back to sleep.

It worked the other way, too. A long-time coworker didn't actually work in the WTC at that time but in one of our offices across the river, but she'd decided to stop in to replenish her petty cash account at the bank we used in the lobby. She was caught in the fireball in the lobby and died about six weeks later of her burns. A young mother died on her first day back from maternity leave.

When we think about it, so many people were or were not in certain places because of circumstance. That morning, a coworker called me because her landlord unexpectedly sent workers to her apartment and she wouldn't leave them with her dog and said she would be late. She told me to tell the other coworker with whom she usually went to the cafeteria, 29 floors below ours, that she wouldn't be going to breakfast with her today. I didn't know the other coworker that well, but I passed the message and said, "I will go with you today." I usually got breakfast later, but that day I went with this woman at 8:30. We were walking out of the cafeteria carrying our food when AA11 slammed into us.

We ran down those stairs hand in hand, and we are bound as soul sisters to this day.

Old Today, 02:43 PM

341 posts, read 410,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I'm a survivor who was in the WTC on that day, and I had not one inkling or premonition of what might happen. The only thing that even comes remotely close is that I was out on the WTC Plaza outside One smoking a cigarette a week or so before, and I idly looked up at Two and thought, "I wonder how long these things will be here?" However, it was more along the lines of thinking "what is the expected useful life of the buildings" rather than a terrorist attack, which of course we always knew we were a target for.

But a coworker who was always at work by 8 "just couldn't get moving" that morning and was still in NJ on the train when we got hit. A secretary in my department called in sick that day because she had such nightmares of fire during the night that she couldn't get back to sleep.

It worked the other way, too. A long-time coworker didn't actually work in the WTC at that time but in one of our offices across the river, but she'd decided to stop in to replenish her petty cash account at the bank we used in the lobby. She was caught in the fireball in the lobby and died about six weeks later of her burns. A young mother died on her first day back from maternity leave.

When we think about it, so many people were or were not in certain places because of circumstance. That morning, a coworker called me because her landlord unexpectedly sent workers to her apartment and she wouldn't leave them with her dog and said she would be late. She told me to tell the other coworker with whom she usually went to the cafeteria, 29 floors below ours, that she wouldn't be going to breakfast with her today. I didn't know the other coworker that well, but I passed the message and said, "I will go with you today." I usually got breakfast later, but that day I went with this woman at 8:30. We were walking out of the cafeteria carrying our food when AA11 slammed into us.

We ran down those stairs hand in hand, and we are bound as soul sisters to this day.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us as I know it's deeply personal. Personally, I believe God sends us these instincts/messages. Why He sends them to some and not others is a mystery. There were probably many that had a "bad feeling" that day and just pushed through. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or