Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:40 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Oh, I do fine, thanks.

My touchstone for whether anyone actually knows anything about Tesla besides the hagiography that started with Cheney's slobbering book and the internet-era mythology largely promoted by fine sources like Cracked.com is (1) to ask for any third invention or contribution of consequence; (2) to gauge their opinion of Thomas Edison (that is - reality or the demonizing mythology of Cracked et al.)... and (3) to see if they can tell me the least thing about Charles Steinmetz, who may have fallen slightly short of the dizzying peak of Tesla's brief era of brilliance but probably did more to build the modern electrical world than either of his better known peers.
..."slobbering book".... um, what?? I've heard books described as many things. Slobbering is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 AM

118 posts, read 65,948 times
Default Tarot, is it for real?

......No.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Tarot cards are real. They must be real..... I can see them and feel them and I am not one to hallucinate. But can they tell the future.....no. About the same odds as sitting a monkey in front of a typewriter and having him write a novel.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
Nope...
One word answers are designed to shut down conversation. Can you expand on your answer? Have you had a tarot reading and it completely wrong? Or do you, like me, refuse believe paper cards can tell my future or help me make a decision?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
A friend of mine who I lost contact with many years ago read Tarot Cards. He was in his mid 20's at the time, and I was 18. He didn't predict anything that I could verify years later, but what he could do through his reading of the cards was tell complete strangers what was going on in their lives currently. And they were very surprised by this, as I was.
We would go to bars, and restaurants, and he would do this. Never charged anybody, and it was random.
His regular job was as a silversmith.
Completely lost contact with him. He was gay, and wanted to pursue that lifestyle, never pressured me into anything. Was a good guy, but when he met somebody that was his life.
I found Tarot, and his ability to gather unknown information from it interesting.
I also notice some posts in this thread describing things I never saw him do. You would have to know somebody that does this, and does not charge, hang out with them and find out for yourself.
Larry Caldwell's last sentence in his last post describes much of what I was hearing from people that had/have the ability, or knack to read Tarot among other things.
This was very neat to an 18 year old, and I still find it interesting over thirty years later.
I have had readings in the past but none of them have impressed me much. They are all pretty generic. "You're going through a challenging period" (who isn't ?) You don't feel satisfied with your place in life. Looking ahead things will get better.

That kind of thing.

I even had one gal change her reading because I questioned her about it.

While I think that Tarot has merit, I don't think there are many readers who are truly gifted to interpret them. Most are just winging it.

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 11-17-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
As the Earth moves through space, I think it moves through different energies which might have some small influence on the planet and its people. To me, that might account for astrology and the interpretations given to it. Certainly the ancients used to watch the heavens pretty closely and even built structures which were aligned with the stars at different times of the year.

The tarot, I-ching, and other divination aids cannot claim the same kind of link, although there is no doubt that some people believe in their interpretation. I think it must be the symbology which has a loosening effect on the readers psychic abilities and allows them to more easily receive impressions. Where those impressions come from is up for debate. I suspect it is mainly from the sitters own energy fields, but there may be some reader's psychic ability in there too.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
Actually I believe in going straight to the point, and "nope" covers it completely.

Be it tarot cards, seances, ouija boards, astrology, and similar.... nope suffices.
From my response, that fact I have not had a tarot reading should be apparent, not to mention my moniker here, and my status line.

PS, are you asking as a moderator, or just as a participant?
I am the moderator of this forum, but that was a more participatory question.

And while I get that Nope is quick and to the point, it doesn’t add to the discussion. And this is a discussion forum.

And skeptics are different than non believers. Skeptics try things with an open mind. Nonbelievers don’t try what they consider hogwash.

And both are welcome here.

To discuss topics.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I have had three readings, all within the past year. The first one was just stupid. She had me in the beginning, because she said, "In summer you often listen to live music near the water." Now I live near the ocean and at least weekly attend live music concerts on or near the beach, but I was having this reading in upstate New York farm country, and there's no way she could have known that.

Must have been a lucky guess, because the rest of the reading was generic. "You like to do something creative but don't feel as if you have enough time to devote to it." Yeah, me and pretty much everyone else on the planet. The rest of the reading was similarly generic. I was in period of transformation, etc. Then she told my daughter that she sees her traveling with her children on her lap. My daughter does not want children and in fact has since made that decision permanent.

The next one hit the nail on the head with a lot of things and was much more specific and also very positive. I was surprised. Didn't actually tell me anything I didn't know, but just affirmed a few things.

The last reading I barely remember because, as I wrote somewhere else on this forum, the reader looked at me and told me that a child I had once played with but who died in childhood, "and I am getting 'second cousin'" was nearby and wanted me to remember how much fun we had playing together and to let me know that we will play together again. There was just no way she could have guessed that right down to the familial relationship. That death happened when I was six and changed my life forever. I was so stunned that I don't remember much of what she said with the cards.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:20 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I have never had my cards read-other than by myself. They do say that you shouldn't read your own cards. I have read other people's cards, though. Everyone who I have read to, said that I was accurate. Oh, and I have NEVER charged anyone for a reading.

Cat

Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Tarot is no different than a ouija board.
It is your thought process and the super ability of a spirit's mental telepathy that is responsible for answers one gets from these stupid things.
A inanimate object has no mind, so how could it possibly give you messages?
The messages are coming from a spirit, or spirits, not from a board, or playing cards.

One needs to know, and understand the power of spirits if they are to have any possible answer to why, and how these things happen.

They don't happen on their own, rest assured.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal