Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

My Grandfather passed over thirty years ago, but I still remember him fondly.

Lately I've had many dreams about him, and I feel his spirit is trying to tell me something.

In the dreams, he is always deceased, and in an advanced state of decomposition, which doesn't bother me . Also, usually he's in his house, the house he built himself and lived in for 70+ years. In the dreams, he is trying to tell me something, but it usually doesn't make sense, is garbled, and I can't remember most of it.

For the past week, I've had almost the exact same dream. Grandpa is in his house, dead, wrapped in a shroud. We have a conversation but I don't remember much of it. The part I remember is, he says two things---

first, he says its a terrible thing to lose a child. In the dream I ask him if he ever lost a child, and he says no.

Then he tells me he plowed the whole field. I ask him where was the field, in Michigan? He says naah, you can't grow anything in Michigan, the soil's no good. (actually the soil is quite rich in Michigan, especially for fruit trees). Then he says Florida has rich soil. I ask him did you plow a field in Florida? But then the dream fades out...…

Just last night I had a similar dream. I was in Grandpa's house, he was dead and wrapped in a shroud. I tried to ask him where was the field you plowed? But no answer...…

Grandpa was from West Virginia, but spent most of his life in Michigan. To my knowledge, he never lived in Florida. He did visit there many times, but just for a vacation. I don't know of any relative in Florida, either.

Also, in the dreams, Grandpa seems to be getting weaker, like he can't communicate. I'm going to try to remember, if I have the dream again, to ask him what do you want me to know? I feel his spirit is leaving this life and he wants me to know something....

Oh, also, he was never a farmer. His father was a blacksmith and Grandpa was a mechanic, so the reference to plowing makes no sense, unless its representative of something he's trying to tell me.....

Any thoughts? What could these dreams mean?

Also, in these dreams I'm extremely sad and usually wake up crying. I've had dreams about Grandpa over the years, but never ones which provoked such sadness.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 10-19-2018 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I’ve never been a big believer that dreams could be broadly interpreted, like looking up in a book and seeing a shroud means covering up a secret, for instance. This is an example, not a fact.

I think that you are the best person to know what the dream means because what you are dreaming holds meaning specifically for you.

When I’ve had bothersome dreams, they were very clear messages to me. Sometimes it took me a while to work them out, as when my mom died and it took me six months, but in the end, when I had the worst dream, and let go to really grieve my loss, I figured out that me swallowing my grief wasn’t the right thing to do. (Well, duh!)

Another time, I kept running into roadblocks when I was trying to go somewhere. After that dream, I realized I truly felt as if I was making no headway in life. I worked on that, and felt better.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:23 AM

Actually I'm not a big believer of dreams, either. However, sometimes dreams do have meanings for us, and sometimes they can be a deceased loved one trying to communicate.

I looked up dreaming about plowing. The plow has many interpretations, including breaking through earthly bounds. Grandpa says he plowed the whole field could mean his work here on earth is through, he is done. Also, in each of the plow dreams, GP is becoming weaker and fading. This could mean he is leaving his earthly home...….I plan to ask, if I ever get another chance, where are you going now?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
In a graduate psychoanalysis course, the prof had us keep a dream journal. Whenever we woke up, we were to write down our dreams and the next day, see what meaning the dreams might have in the context of our current experiences. Almost always, the dream content related in some way to what I had been thinking about or experiencing in the previous two or three days.

I agree with Tallysmom; dreams have symbolic meaning, but we have to think about what the symbols mean to us rather than looking them up in a generic book. Dreams appear to be the way we process the events of our lives and make sense of them, and weave them into the narratives of our lives. The symbols in them that are important to us may or may not have the same meaning for someone else.

There are also dreams that seem to have more significance to me than others; they have "Pay attention to this!" written all over them. Your dreams of your grandfather seem to have that sort of quality to them. I think in pondering over your dreams, you need to remember: things in dreams are not always what they seem to be. Losing a child may not actually mean losing a child and plowing a field may not refer to the literal act of plowing. For that matter, a grandfather may not actually be a grandfather in a dream.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 AM

Ok, well, I dreamed about Grandpa again last night.

It was essentially the same scenario. Grandpa in his house, about to die (although in a state of decomposition, like he had died a long time ago). Anyways, in this dream, I didn't talk to him. There were a lot of people in his house, mostly other relatives, although I couldn't really identify them. I felt Grandpa needed help, he was wasting away, because he wasn't eating. My mother said to let him be. Then, we were going to leave, but my mother said she wanted to stay with him. I said she would be best when the time comes, because she wouldn't flake out, she would handle it. Before I left, I asked her if she thought Grandpa would die that night, she said no.

Then, I tried to walk to a corner drugstore to buy Grandpa a can of Ensure, but never made it. Each side street I turned down was worse and worse, riddled with crime, gangs, violence, etc. Then, the dream faded and I woke up.

So, there it is, for what its worth.....like I've said, I usually don't put too much into dreams, I figure they're just random thoughts being processed. However, this does stand out as having some significance, what I can't tell. I find it significant I keep dreaming a progressive version of the same dream almost every night.....My plan was to ask Grandpa what he wants to tell me, but in last night's dream I wasn't able to speak with him. My parents (both actually deceased) ran interference.....

Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
I agree that with dreams it isn't as much about the literal interpretation but what words represent to you.

To me, for example, losing a child can represent the loss of something you've dreamed about, a goal you had, something you've invested time and /or money in, something you desire.

He said you can't grow anything in Michigan, that Florida has rich soil. I think he's saying something you're aspiring to, a dream or goal, may not work in one place or for one group, or with the people you're surrounding yourself with, but will work if you make some changes. When he says he plowed the whole field, it could mean that he attended to every detail, or had hands-on involvement, or left nothing unfinished, which could just mean those things are going to be important if you want to attain what you're aspiring to.

I would then try to figure out how this applies to me. Have I been working on something that isn't quite panning out? Am I leaving any details to chance instead of taking care of them? Am I targeting the right people or do I have the right people around me to achieve what I desire?

Instead of trying to find the literal interpretation, what do the key words and phrases mean to you?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I tend to think that dreams originate in our own unconscious, not in outside supernatural forces. I think you have to ascertain what the significance of your dead grandpa has to you. In other words, your dreams do have meaning; they are your subconscious or unconscious (I don’t know the correct term here) telling you something. Or, it is possible that your unconscious mind is working something out through your dreaming.

The meaning of this is personal to you, and we cannot know the meaning. But your dreams are interesting.

Why don’t you keep us posted about your dreamwork? I’m interested in hearing more.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My Grandfather passed over thirty years ago, but I still remember him fondly.

For the past week, I've had almost the exact same dream. Grandpa is in his house, dead, wrapped in a shroud. We have a conversation but I don't remember much of it. The part I remember is, he says two things---

first, he says its a terrible thing to lose a child. In the dream I ask him if he ever lost a child, and he says no.

Then he tells me he plowed the whole field. I ask him where was the field, in Michigan? He says naah, you can't grow anything in Michigan, the soil's no good. (actually the soil is quite rich in Michigan, especially for fruit trees). Then he says Florida has rich soil. I ask him did you plow a field in Florida? But then the dream fades out...…

Just last night I had a similar dream. I was in Grandpa's house, he was dead and wrapped in a shroud. I tried to ask him where was the field you plowed? But no answer...…

Grandpa was from West Virginia, but spent most of his life in Michigan. To my knowledge, he never lived in Florida. He did visit there many times, but just for a vacation. I don't know of any relative in Florida, either.
So, I think that your dreams mean something.

I don’t think all dreams mean something & I don’t think everybody’s dreams mean something (mine sure don’t seem to) but ... I think your dreams involving your grandfather; do.

I looked up your previous “dreams about Grandpa” threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...nge-dream.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...t-grandpa.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...2556-mean.html

And I’m wondering; have you ever done a DNA/genealogy test? Is it possible that there has been a child “lost” (not necessarilly died) who was born in Florida? Somebody connected with you, your mom or your grandpa? This could have been a sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, parent, child, etc ... of one of you.

A child from Florida’s plowed field, who has been lost to the family”.

Based on other statements from those 3 threads I found plus this one:

Quote:
then he said--"The only proof of life is death"
The life of the lost child in Florida will be proven after my death?”

Quote:
Somehow GP was laying next to me, wrapped in something like a paper bag. The paper was old and brittle. I somehow sensed it was GP, I said Grandpa, is that you? He answered don't turn around or look at me, you won't like what you see. I then asked are you dead? He said yes, but he had something important to tell me. Then he proceeded to say something I couldn't quite make out, something about someone named Peterson, and I needed to tell my mother. I don't know any Peterson!

Then I figured if it was GP communicating from the other side, now was the time to ask some questions! I asked if he was in Heaven, he said not yet. I asked how can one get to Heaven, he said Repent. I asked Repent here on Earth, or later, when we pass? He said Repent now! I asked is there really a God, and have you seen him? He said that's for you to decide.

Then he handed me a yellowed, old newspaper, brittle with age. He said here, give this to your mother, she will understand.

The last part of the dream, I promised GP I would give him a decent burial, he would be in a decent coffin, with a nice headstone, and the service for Christian burial would be read. I would bury him next to Grandma. In reality, that was all done! He was buried next to Grandma, but a few things were off.

First, my mother had a thing about not spending a lot for a funeral I think she read Consumer's Report too much! I wasn't there for the arrangements, I barely made it there for the burial---I had to fly in from another state. Frankly, I was appalled at the arrangements. He was just buried, no funeral service, no "embalming, just placed in a casket. I didn't see the body. Also, the casket was awful, it was an old, greenish colored metal, with scratches all over it, like it was somehow "used". Mother did pay for a decent vault (sometimes called a liner, of concrete). Mother and I followed the hearse to the cemetery, at my insistence. She was just going to have him dropped off, like a parcel post!

Like I said, there was no funeral, but we did follow the hearse and accompanied the body to the grave. I insisted the ritual be followed, even if he just had one mourner. I had promised him I would accompany him to his grave, and I did. Well, when we got there, they were just going to drop him off. I insisted a prayer be said. There was no minister, but the funeral director read a small service from a book. Ok, I figured that was adequate---whenever two or more are gathered in My Name.----

Even his headstone was not right. It had his first and last name, but not his middle initial, which he always used. The dates were just the year, not the month and day, and the date of birth was incorrect---it said 1892, it should have been 1890. Also, no Christian cross symbol, which I always insisted on headstones. I always felt the headstone should have been re-done, but there was no crossing my mother.
Quote:
I've been thinking for a long time to have GP headstone replaced with a more accurate one. I owe him that much. My mother wouldn't consider it, she said she had spent enough money---mostly it was GP money left in a bank account---but she is gone now, too. I suppose I would have the legal right to do so? I will contact the cemetery and find out.

Also, that would be a good time to have a minister perform a proper burial ceremony. It would just be a graveside prayer, there's no one left who remembers him. It would just be the minister, my husband, and me, possibly my son and daughter if they could break away from school, jobs, etc. I just never felt he was laid to rest properly, perhaps he doesn't either!

Not to sound too harsh about my mother, she was GP court-appointed guardian and as such, had to account for every penny of his assets. She probably didn't want to go through all the hassle of getting yet another expense approved. She had an accounting nightmare as it was! She had to give an accounting every year to probate court as to how she spent his assets. She was appointed joint on his bank account. Once GP passed, Medicaid put a lien on his remaining assets. She had gone negative, anyways, spending her own money for essentials like eyeglasses, wheelchair, etc. Medicaid should have paid her! But, it doesn't work that way. The account was closed upon his death and final reconciliation, and I can see how she just didn't want any more of it. Its easy to sit back and criticize someone else, but its different when you're the one it falls on. Its a wonder she handled it as well as she did!
Could your mother possibly have found something in his finances that caused her to become confused, angry or sad; which could explain the haphazard arrangements?

Something that he should have prepared her for or been honest about, that he’s trying to repent for now? Something that she kept from you, maybe thinking she was protecting you from something?

“The lost child from Florida is linked with the name: Peterson”. (Or even: “Peter’s son.”)

I’m actually not trying to imply that your grandpa had an illegitimate child himself, because this could involve a combination of relationships involving family members but it seems like he’s trying to say that he feels a responsibility to his family & that he can’t quite move on without trying to finish this.

Quote:
I was trying to make a call using my cell phone and I simply couldn't dial the last four numbers. They were 2556. Finally, in the dream, I got my son to dial the number, and it went through. Then, I heard a voicemail, babbling in some unidentifable language. Then, I kept hearing it say 2556, over and over. It was like a mechanical, or computer-generated voice.
A birth or death on February 5, 1956? Oddly; the University of Florida’s Institute of Food & Agricultural Services (plowed field?) address is: 2556 West Highway 318 ... so there’s that.

Please realize I don’t claim to have any special talent or insight here & was just playing a “dot-to-dot” with words (versus dots) but if I were you; these dreams would be driving me crazy, so I’m just speculating. Just thoughts.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:26 PM

All food for thought....I've been thinking along the same lines....it will be interesting to pursue a DNA search....

My parents went to Florida for their honeymoon. Perhaps a child was conceived there? I wasn't born until years later.

Whatever Just to note, I didn't have any dream about Grandpa, or anyone else, last night. I will continue to keep track of the dreams, to see if they fit any pattern.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,429 times
Even if spirits of others are involved, dreams come from within you. They are something that you cultivate.

Did you lose a child? Are you trying to have one and not being successful? Plowing a field hints of feelings regarding fertility or a lack there of.

What are you trying to tell yourself?

Whomever want to grow something, might have better luck in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal