U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM

10,402 posts, read 12,566,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We better hope it was just an elongated space rock. A life form that has the technology to traverse interstellar space may see the human race as a form of life lower than an amoeba. The would squash us with no more regret than a human swatting an irksome fly.
You may not be fond of this proppsed idea: A powerful laser used to attract possible alien attention. I was thinking what if it hits thier city, space station etc and they consider it an insult or act of war? They may take the time and effort to come down here, with unpleasant suprises.

Most likely outcome is it may go unnoticed, or they dont understand what it is. Either due to being primitive, or too advanced or just not looking around.

http://https://www.popularmechanics....-laser-aliens/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,027,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In that link they use terms like "might have" and "could also". They did not rule out natural origin. They simply said it was possible because they really did not know. While it was fast in our terms at about 65,000 mph; it was very slow when you consider the distances of space. The nearest sun is 4.22 light years from earth. There are some heavy hitters that are working with the Russians that hope they can approach 20% of the speed of light to go to our nearest star in 20 years (but they are still doing the studies): https://earthsky.org/space/alpha-centauri-travel-time. While the 65,000 mph speed of Oumuamua sounds fast, at about half that speed it took NASA 9.5 years to reach Pluto.
That's true Fish, but it could have been lauched from wherever it came thousands or millions of years ago.

Personally, I think it's just a big rock. And that's based on nothing but the unlikely chance of it being anything else.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 PM

13,448 posts, read 10,786,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
That's true Fish, but it could have been lauched from wherever it came thousands or millions of years ago.

Personally, I think it's just a big rock. And that's based on nothing but the unlikely chance of it being anything else.
I tend to error on the side of known and not on the side unknown. Unknown is speculation and it is great to speculate. But that doesn't make the world hollow or rocks that hide alien probes.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 PM

3,837 posts, read 7,320,851 times
Rock.

Explained by a scientist:

https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_j_me...ystem#t-743911

Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am on your side; but that link still gives believers in alien life plenty of wiggle room. That link starts off towards the end of that astronomer's speech. I backed it up and played the whole speech. There evidence is very sketchy about the shape and material composition of the 'rock'. She never mentioned any controversy about its speed? The best true pictures we have of the object are simply a pinpoint of light. The same can be said of our attempts at material composition.

What that talk was more about is that our astronomers want better tools so that encounters, like this one, do not happen as the asteroid is leaving. By the time they spotted this 'rock' it would have been far too late to save earth if we were in its path.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM

15,243 posts, read 19,899,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No one is disputing it is a rock. The question is whether or not it might be something else.

This is also rock:

Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM

5,009 posts, read 7,821,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No one is disputing it is a rock. The question is whether or not it might be something else.

This is also rock:
'Oumuamua might be a sculptural abstract work of art created by extraterrestrials located elsewhere else in the galaxy? Or maybe it represents what they look like... giant tubeworms? Hmm, I wonder...

As indicted, very little is known (almost nothing) about the object. It's traveling too fast and was too far to get any reasonable data about it, other than the size and shape, the speed it's traveling, and its trajectory. It appears to be more like an asteroid since there are no outgassing emissions or dust as would be expected from a comet.

The idea that it might be something from some kind of civilization is an off-the-wall hypothesis. Even those who proposed the idea in the first place are very doubtful that's what it is. More likely, it's a rock fragment, an asteroid, from another star system. Its speed can be explained as having been affected (gravitational boost) by gas giant planets boosting it out of a solar system. There are about 4 potential stars (red dwarfs) that it could have encountered during its travel before entering our solar system. The problem is that none of those stars appear to have any gas giant planets. If that's the case, then 'Oumuamua probably came from somewhere else before passing any of those red dwarf stars. Who knows? The thing could've been drifting around for billions of years. Could it have been ejected from an explosion of its home star? Whatever it is, it's pretty weird.

One positive thing about it is that we now know that interstellar objects can and do enter our solar system. We may be able to better spot similar interstellar objects passing through our solar system with better equipment. As it is, 'Oumuamua is on its way out of our solar system traveling in a different direction.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...sts/ar-BBPtAJc
https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.09009
What do we know about 'Oumuamua? | Astronomy.com
https://physicsworld.com/a/interstel...strophysicist/

Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Actually I would be a little more worried about a moving black hole like this super massive one traveling at five million miles/hour: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a7650656.html. At 1,000 times the size of our sun I guess worrying would not do any good; it would probably be over for us before we even knew it was coming!

There have been science fiction movies that portrayed future space wars as using asteroids as weapons. It is a good thing that the Oumuamua piolets were not great shots if it was their intention to take us out!

Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,333,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Its speed can be explained as having been affected (gravitational boost) by gas giant planets boosting it out of a solar system.
Its most puzzling attribute is its shape - 10 times longer than it is wide. The most elongated objects seen to date in the solar system have been 3:1. Why? Centrifugal force and collisions make things tend toward the spherical or oblong over time - not pencil shapes.

Quote:
Scientists will have to come up with new theories explaining how such an elongated object as 1I/2017 U1 could form, and how it could have enough strength to hold itself together in one long piece.
(source)

Old 11-09-2018, 01:28 PM

5,009 posts, read 7,821,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Its most puzzling attribute is its shape - 10 times longer than it is wide. The most elongated objects seen to date in the solar system have been 3:1. Why? Centrifugal force and collisions make things tend toward the spherical or oblong over time - not pencil shapes.

(source)
I don't know that that's the most puzzling thing about it. It is weird looking though. It could simply be a stray fragment from a rocky planet that was blown to smithereens by a stellar explosion with the fragment being launched out of the system into interstellar space.

There are plenty of other objects in space that have very strange looking shapes. 'Oumuamua might have occasionally grazed against other objects during its travel through the galaxy. A couple examples of strange looking objects include the duck-shaped comet (Churyumov–Gerasimenko 67P) that the Philae lander made a screwed-up landing on, and the dwarf planet Haumea that resembles a potato or an egg. Haumea isn't pencil-shaped, but it is oddly elongated. I agree that 'Oumuamua is pretty extreme in it's elongated shape. I think it's fair to assume that a lot of asteroids in our own asteroid belt most likely look pretty weird due to collisions. But I think it's likely 'Oumuamua's shape is related to a catastrophic event which would have probably involved collisions with other nearby rocky and hard objects from a destroyed planet as the planet broke apart. That's all guessing on my part, but it seems more feasible than to assume it's some kind of alien spacecraft or probe.

Another odd feature about 'Oumuamua is that, rather than spiraling like a football, it appears to be tumbling end over end. Another oddity is that it's traveling speed accelerated after swinging around to head out into interstellar space again. 'Oumuamua might be mostly metal rather than rock. Perhaps one of the weirdest features is its path. It looks like it entered the solar system from below the plane of the solar system to near the orbital path of Mercury. From there it made a relatively sharp turn to exit the solar system somewhat along the plane crossing the orbital paths of at least some of the planets. To me, it doesn't appear to have gone around the Sun for a gravitational assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxTHNiMNPDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUTGijsCCyk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or