U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 AM

15,238 posts, read 19,891,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not all of them jumped on the alien probe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,330,480 times
Mark S. wins the internet today.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:28 PM

3,834 posts, read 7,316,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not all of them jumped on the alien probe. Probably more of them never claimed anything more than just another rock. Of course they can speculate like we can. What made this object so special is that we anticipated that interstellar objects, like this one, should be observed. We had been looking ever since the 1970's and had not found one. That is why this one was so special.
I haven't been following this story, but if any of them played the alien angle, I wouldn't totally blame them. Nothing grabs the attention of the masses better than the possibility of alien contact. If a little white lie can get folks interested in space even just a little, then that's more than what astronomy books can do.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-16-2018 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM

13,433 posts, read 10,778,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I haven't been following this story, but if any of them played the alien angle, I wouldn't totally blame them. Nothing grabs the attention of the masses better than the possibility of alien contact. If a little white lie can get common folks interested in space even just a little, then that's more than what astronomy books can do.
In the one lecture the astronomer noted that they need more funds!

Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM

15,238 posts, read 19,891,331 times
Quote:
If a little white lie can get folks interested in space even just a little, then that's more than what astronomy books can do.
It wasn't a little white lie so much as big, bold speculation.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It wasn't a little white lie so much as big, bold speculation.
I am all for getting the crowd excited about space stuff. Problem is there is no scientific footing for this "big, bold speculation."

Old 11-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I am all for getting the crowd excited about space stuff. Problem is there is no scientific footing for this "big, bold speculation."
Science starts with curiosity about an odd event or observation, and proceeds from there. Most of the time there's nothing new there, but every once in a while it opens a door. Just as was the case with Tabby's Star, there are plenty of reasons why 'Oumuamua is an odd object - but like Tabby's Star, chances are it will end up having a pedestrian explanation. That's the scientific footing: the kind of curiosity about something odd that has led to all scientific discoveries throughout our history. Without that curiosity and the speculations it leads to, we'd be sitting around in a cave somewhere picking nits out of each others' fur.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/b...o15703784.html

Old 11-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Science starts with curiosity about an odd event or observation, and proceeds from there. Most of the time there's nothing new there, but every once in a while it opens a door. Just as was the case with Tabby's Star, there are plenty of reasons why 'Oumuamua is an odd object - but like Tabby's Star, chances are it will end up having a pedestrian explanation. That's the scientific footing: the kind of curiosity about something odd that has led to all scientific discoveries throughout our history. Without that curiosity and the speculations it leads to, we'd be sitting around in a cave somewhere picking nits out of each others' fur.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/b...o15703784.html
No one is arguing that it was not an odd object. However, it's a big leap jumping from an odd object to alien probe.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:09 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,023,359 times
Quote:
I haven't been following this story, but if any of them played the alien angle, I wouldn't totally blame them. Nothing grabs the attention of the masses better than the possibility of alien contact. If a little white lie can get folks interested in space even just a little, then that's more than what astronomy books can do.
I have a feeling that the vast majority of people who are now somewhat familiar with the "intruder" would never have known it existed without the alien speculation.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
No one is arguing that it was not an odd object. However, it's a big leap jumping from an odd object to alien probe.
Why are you insisting on starting an argument instead of enjoying the thread for what it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or