U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM

15,235 posts, read 19,887,808 times

Advertisements

Full article and video at: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/healt...ntl/index.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
Cigar-shaped interstellar object may have been an alien probe, Harvard paper claims

A mysterious cigar-shaped object spotted tumbling through our solar system last year may have been an alien spacecraft sent to investigate Earth, astronomers from Harvard University have suggested.

The object, nicknamed 'Oumuamua, meaning "a messenger that reaches out from the distant past" in Hawaiian, was first discovered in October 2017 by the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii.

Since its discovery, scientists have been at odds to explain its unusual features and precise origins, with researchers first calling it a comet and then an asteroid, before finally deeming it the first of its kind: a new class of "interstellar objects."

Now, a new paper by researchers at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics raises the possibility that the elongated dark-red object, which is 10 times as long as it is wide and traveling at speeds of 196,000 mph, might have an "artificial origin."

"'Oumuamua may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization," they wrote in the paper, which has been submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 AM

9,427 posts, read 16,014,734 times
Or it could be a rock.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Or it could be both.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:05 AM

10,395 posts, read 12,557,226 times
I feel a probe would have travelled differently, and been smaller as to avoid detection. I was thinking possible spacecraft to transport living beings. A disaster may have occured and they lost propulsion, died and are tumbling into eternity. They are advanced but not much more then us. A rescue or "beaming them back" is not possible.

They may have been coming to us, and this chance at first contact failed because of the doomed ship.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:35 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,329,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Or it could be both.
As described in many generational starship stories: hollow out an asteroid, fix it up nice in the middle, spin it, and send it off into the dark.

Themes : Generation Starships : SFE : Science Fiction Encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2018, 11:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,329,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
They may have been coming to us, and this chance at first contact failed because of the doomed ship.
Or they were just slingshotting around the sun, and had no idea we were here when they set up the maneuver.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As described in many generational starship stories: hollow out an asteroid, fix it up nice in the middle, spin it, and send it off into the dark.

Themes : Generation Starships : SFE : Science Fiction Encyclopedia
Yup. It really is the way to go for deep space travel. A kilometer or so of solid rock around your living area provides great protection from other space debris. It makes more practical sense to hollow out portions of an asteroid rather than build an entire craft from scratch.

That's the way John Wayne would've done it.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM

13,431 posts, read 10,773,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. It really is the way to go for deep space travel. A kilometer or so of solid rock around your living area provides great protection from other space debris. It makes more practical sense to hollow out portions of an asteroid rather than build an entire craft from scratch.

That's the way John Wayne would've done it.
There are tremendous forces at work in the universe. You have suns exploding, black holes tearing apart all matter in their paths, planets as well as solar systems and galaxies colliding. It is hard to anticipate what shapes these forces could produce. I just hate to buy into alien without proof. It is easier to just say: UFO (because we have not seen everything there is to see).

Old 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just hate to buy into alien without proof.
Yup --- although I would say "credible evidence" rather than "proof." I cannot "prove" you exist at the moment, but I have some credible evidence that leads me to believe that you probably do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is easier to just say: UFO (because we have not seen everything there is to see).
Keep in mind that UFO is just another way of saying, "A flying object that we cannot identify." It doesn't necessarily mean alien life. It just means unidentified. I pulled an unidentified mass out of my drain the other night. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was, though I am reasonably certain it was not alien. 98% sure.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM

6,118 posts, read 1,826,852 times
It's the Thistledown from Greg Bear's Eon and Eternity novels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or