U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM

2,735 posts, read 3,021,562 times

Advertisements

I realise people always point to The Giants Causeway in Ireland for natural stone structures but what do we think of the huge stone structure off Japan called Yonaguni Ruins? Some of the images
here can be argued to be man-made. Other images on the same page would take a little stretch of the imagination to claim the structures are made or carved by man. I can see how, in this very volcanically active area, something built on land could easily have been caused to slip beneath the waves by an earthquake nearby.

Articles/info
2018 Link 1
2018 Link 2
2018 Link 3
2018 Link 4
2012 Link

In the picture below I can see some nice straight pieces of rock which would be difficult to find naturally in an underwater situation like this which has spent centuries (~2000 years) under the ocean. However, what bothers me is that, for example, the 'turtle' is only ever shown in pictures from the same angle and I suspect that this is the ONLY angle it looks like a turtle from. That, to me rings a few warning bells, like someone is trying to make more of this than it really is.

Image from this gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

13,000 posts, read 18,593,034 times
I don't think Yonaguni is ruins but it certainly doesn't look natural.

What it does remind me of is a stone quarry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRO7D3zUKpM

Who knows? Not sure if the stone there is suitable for building with (or would have been 12K years ago when it was above water)...

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 1,019,492 times
The "experts" seem to be divided on whether it's natural or manmade. Could be each side has an agenda. It looks convincingly unnatural though, but there's a wall in Texas that looks manmade but has been determined to be natural. So oddities can occur in nature.

Not sure how deep under water this site is, but sea levels have risen quite a bit so it very well could have been on dry land when it was supposedly built.

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

4,093 posts, read 3,327,556 times
I posted the following in another thread back in April. Physics and erosion can create extraordinarily regular forms that appear to be man made.

Hexagonal basalt columns from the Devil's Causeway, Ireland. Basalt naturally forms these when it cools under some conditions. Note that they appear to be "perfectly fitted".

https://duckystravels.wordpress.com/...asalt-columns/

Another basalt example the Devil's Postpile in California:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebaird/6264728839/

Honeycomb rocks in West Virginia (an example of erosion around harder veins of material):

https://wvtravelqueen.weebly.com/wvt...oneycomb-rocks

The Badlands Guardian in Canada - a drainage feature (and you thought the face on Mars was amazing!):

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...lands-guardian

Old Today, 06:30 AM

13,425 posts, read 10,769,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The "experts" seem to be divided on whether it's natural or manmade. Could be each side has an agenda. It looks convincingly unnatural though, but there's a wall in Texas that looks manmade but has been determined to be natural. So oddities can occur in nature.

Not sure how deep under water this site is, but sea levels have risen quite a bit so it very well could have been on dry land when it was supposedly built.
One of the links the OP provided stated that the sea levels rose 40 meters since the last ice age. I was also looking for a depth. You do see pictures of scuba divers and scuba divers usually do not go deeper than 130'. On the other hand the water could be shallow since we did not see the depth.

If the water is not too deep they might be able to find some artifacts in the surround debris? For now it is simply a very interesting site that might or might not have been manmade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or