U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:49 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,850,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Corner shops have little bells on the entrance or even something like this we have on our door. Anything really that would wake you up when it opens.
Good idea. Yes, something like that would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

7,384 posts, read 1,801,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Good idea. Yes, something like that would work.
It will work, if the door was opening due to something naturally explainable...but if its paranormal, or something else, I doubt a bell or noisemaker would be effective...

And really not sure what it would tell me, if the door starts opening one night, and the bells make noise, I wake up and see it opening...what then?

Ive already had baby powder down, the door opened and no tracks were left behind (the only thing this proved was I was not sleepwalking and doing it myself).

Knowing this door and this house, since I have lived here so long, I really see no way this door could open on its own, when its closed and locked, its VERY secure, I can bang on it, vibrate it, etc all day and it would not open on its own.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,850,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It will work, if the door was opening due to something naturally explainable...but if its paranormal, or something else, I doubt a bell or noisemaker would be effective...
It sounds like you're already jumping to conclusions and assuming it's likely paranormal. I'd be first wondering what sort of known things or reasons could cause the door to unlock and open. A buzzer or bells would help get your attention to the event.

Quote:
And really not sure what it would tell me, if the door starts opening one night, and the bells make noise, I wake up and see it opening...what then?
It can tell you plenty. For one thing it can alert and tell you that the door has been opened. You could hide under the covers of your bed. Or you can get up and go to the door to look and see if anyone or anything is around.

Quote:
Ive already had baby powder down, the door opened and no tracks were left behind (the only thing this proved was I was not sleepwalking and doing it myself).
You said that earlier, so we already know you didn't find any footprints in the powder.

Quote:
Knowing this door and this house, since I have lived here so long, I really see no way this door could open on its own, when its closed and locked, its VERY secure, I can bang on it, vibrate it, etc all day and it would not open on its own.
That was just a suggested possibility. Frankly, you can't be 100% sure that vibrations can't cause the door to open. It might not happen often, but it could happen once in a while, especially if there's something wrong with the doorknob. Even a change in air pressure can do that. At night, houses can settle and make creaking noises or pops, and possibly causing a door to open. The thing is that no one here knows anything about your house, except that you've said your bedroom door somehow unlocks and opens by itself.

How far does the door open? Enough to be loose? A few inches? A foot? All the way? How far out from the door did you spread the powder? A couple of inches? Several feet? Did you spread it out on both sides of the door? Does it only happen at night? Has it ever happened during the day? When was the last time it happened?

Since no footprints were shown in the powder, the next likelihood is that there's something wrong with the doorknob, especially if the lock is somehow becoming unlocked. And both the doorknob and the door are the main things you've primarily emphasized as the problem. You've also mentioned that it could be weeks or months before it happens again. You've also mentioned that it hasn't happened again since the last time.

You've said you plan to install a new doorknob. That's cool, and maybe that will solve the problem. You might check the latch part on the door frame to make sure it's evenly aligned with the bolt. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,097,758 times
If its paranormal occurrences you are trying to insinuate. Why would you think they would only come through the door? Change the lock and make sure the latch and striker plate work properly. Make sure it fully catches.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

16,570 posts, read 21,692,214 times
Sometimes because of expansion and contraction, a wood door will sometimes latch correctly and other times not, if the striker plate is just barely aligned with the latch. I had that happen with my bedroom door at the house I'm actually building. The door was open when I woke up even though I closed it. I locked the lock (antique mortise lock with a skeleton key operated deadbolt) and it stopped. I took a close look and realized the alignment wasn't great between the strike plate and latch. A slight change in weather and the ensuing movement in the wood of the door and frame would throw it off so it wouldn't latch correctly. Then a slight breeze from an open window could open it.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

7,384 posts, read 1,801,500 times
I have stated in a few posts that this door, knob, latch, etc all work fine, when the door is shut and locked, IT IS SECURE. It will stay in whatever position you leave the door, if you open it half way, it will STAY half open until you move it again, if you open the door fully, it will STAY fully open until someone moves it, etc etc, The 'catch plate' also works great, it latches very securely

It could be vibration, but in all the years I have lived here, same door, same latch, same knob, it has never done this before, there is no 'new' source of vibration either, not much in the surrounding area that could cause such a strong vibration.

The first time this happened and I woke up to find the door HALF open (about 18") just enough room for a normal size person to walk thru, fright was the first thing I felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or