U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Status: "Oh, all right, then: I'm retired." (set 19 days ago)

4,218 posts, read 3,401,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When I was young my grandparents had a small lake that could, on occasion, have small waterspouts. I have tried to find more information about small waterspouts and have not. These were only about 3 or 4 feet in diameter and were lifting a 5 to 10 feet tall column of water. They were short lived; the lake was only about three acres. My feeling is that it was because of the location of the lake and the geography that surrounded the lake that created this unusual waterspout? I only observed them about 4 or 5 times; but some of those times there were more than one - just like the dust devils our West.
They are indeed what you get when a dust devil goes over water. If you go on Youtube and search for "dust devils on lake", there are a lot of great videos:

https://youtu.be/clWts-h7yrA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

13,746 posts, read 10,967,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
They are indeed what you get when a dust devil goes over water. If you go on Youtube and search for "dust devils on lake", there are a lot of great videos:

https://youtu.be/clWts-h7yrA
Actually that is not what I witnessed. It was similar; but a tighter base and it lifted the water into a column that you could not see through. I have been searching for similar small water spouts and have not found any. All of them are similar to the YouTube you just posted where water vapor went into the air. The only ones I have found that lifted the water were similar to on land tornadoes that crossed large bodies of water. Of course there is the chance that I was witnessing the beginning of a tornado; but I don't know? I even tried asking the question on our Weather forum and did not get an answer. So it is still an "Unknown Mystery" for me.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

7,633 posts, read 1,894,206 times
Quote:
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniden...lying_object): "Studies have established that the majority of UFO observations are misidentified conventional objects or natural phenomena—most commonly aircraft, balloons, noctilucent clouds, nacreous clouds, or astronomical objects such as meteors or bright planets with a small percentage even being hoaxes." They go on to say: "Between 5% and 20% of reported sightings are not explained....".

So it is obvious that most have been explained. As far as the unexplained; there are unexplained. Maybe some day we will be able to explain them; but not now. That does not mean that it is a government conspiracy (it could be); but we do not have enough information to draw an opinion.
Even though they were not called 'UFOs' back then, how do you explain all the sightings of strange craft before the airplane was invented?

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Even though they were not called 'UFOs' back then, how do you explain all the sightings of strange craft before the airplane was invented?
I will tell you again: Years ago my HS put on a little skit to demonstrate how hard it is for eye witnesses to give accurate testimony. Maybe there were a few hundred of us in a school auditorium and most of us got it wrong. That was when asked immediately after the fake robbery we had just witnessed. The kid used a banana to pull off the holdup and many of us described the gun the kid used.

What I am saying is that many of us will 'see' what we want to see. Without using scientific tools and proper investigative technics; we really have nothing - other than "Unidentified object".

Old Today, 11:29 AM

7,633 posts, read 1,894,206 times
Quote:
I will tell you again: Years ago my HS put on a little skit to demonstrate how hard it is for eye witnesses to give accurate testimony. Maybe there were a few hundred of us in a school auditorium and most of us got it wrong. That was when asked immediately after the fake robbery we had just witnessed. The kid used a banana to pull off the holdup and many of us described the gun the kid used.

What I am saying is that many of us will 'see' what we want to see. Without using scientific tools and proper investigative technics; we really have nothing - other than "Unidentified object".
Well, Ive read thru numerous old UFO reports, its clear the people were describing what they saw, (using things familiar to them), and they are almost identical in every way to modern UFO reports.

Old Today, 01:03 PM

3,923 posts, read 7,413,707 times
Quote:

I was driving on a dark road at 3am this morning. I thought I saw a motorcycle behind me. It turned out to be a car with only one working headlight. It's so ridiculously easy to visually mistake something for something else.

Old Today, 05:12 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,148,711 times
Quote:

Yes, there's no doubt about eyewitness testimony being erroneous. "Mythebusters" did a segment some years ago along those same lines, and they showed that the witnesses do considerably better when under hypnosis ... in other words, their subconcious remembers more detail than their conscious does.

Old Today, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, there's no doubt about eyewitness testimony being erroneous. "Mythebusters" did a segment some years ago along those same lines, and they showed that the witnesses do considerably better when under hypnosis ... in other words, their subconcious remembers more detail than their conscious does.
Regardless; most people are not hypnotized before testifying in court. Besides; we remember what we thought we saw and not what we actually saw - unless we have camera footage to jog our memories. Of course we are racing towards the day when every single movement will be recorded. Many of our young cannot eat a meal without pictures of the food ground in their mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or