U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 AM
 
4,373 posts, read 2,872,657 times
Reputation: 5283

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
"Dark side" sounds a lot more mysterious though. Enables, or at least enhances, conspiracy theories.
No doubt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,025 posts, read 1,699,442 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
China is up there are will be checking it out with their own rover: China 'lifts mysterious veil' by landing probe on far side .... They haven't moved their rover from their lander so far. They are planning on an exploration of the dark side. In 2013 they had a soft landing on the moon but it failed after several weeks. I presume this one will do better. I do wish them luck and I hope that they share some of the pictures/data.

Over the years we have heard over and over again about aliens using the far side of the moon. The more we explore; the more we can dispel these myths. Of course there is always that possibility that they will find something? Only time will tell. I just wished that we were doing this exploration instead of the Chinese or Russians.

If we don't hear anything from the probe, maybe the aliens didn't set their phasers on stun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,670 posts, read 10,924,648 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
If we don't hear anything from the probe, maybe the aliens didn't set their phasers on stun.

From one of ocpaul20's links I got this link (http://www.unoosa.org/pdf/pres/copuo...015tech08E.pdf) which shows pictures of the lander and rover. It also shows how they accomplished it from launch to land and mission objectives. Of course we do not know if they are true objectives. Possibly it is to deliver a shipment of Reese's pieces in exchange for death ray plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,546 posts, read 1,118,241 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Those are useful links. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,546 posts, read 1,118,241 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
China is up there are will be checking it out with their own rover: China 'lifts mysterious veil' by landing probe on far side .... They haven't moved their rover from their lander so far. They are planning on an exploration of the dark side. In 2013 they had a soft landing on the moon but it failed after several weeks. I presume this one will do better. I do wish them luck and I hope that they share some of the pictures/data.

Over the years we have heard over and over again about aliens using the far side of the moon. The more we explore; the more we can dispel these myths. Of course there is always that possibility that they will find something? Only time will tell. I just wished that we were doing this exploration instead of the Chinese or Russians.
Fish, I saw a picture today and it seems as if the rover has ventured a few feet out onto the surface. I'm a bit surprised that they did that only a couple days after landing.

Of course, there are the usual conspiracy theorists that claim the Chinese are nowhere near the moon, and that the pictures were taken in a studio somewhere. Same claims as for Apollo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,670 posts, read 10,924,648 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Fish, I saw a picture today and it seems as if the rover has ventured a few feet out onto the surface. I'm a bit surprised that they did that only a couple days after landing.

Of course, there are the usual conspiracy theorists that claim the Chinese are nowhere near the moon, and that the pictures were taken in a studio somewhere. Same claims as for Apollo.
It's hard to keep everybody happy all the time! I thought that one of the pictures I saw showed that the rover has moved; but I was waiting for official confirmation. The picture wasn't that great. We'll find out soon enough.

Hopefully they will show the world their superiority with numerous pictures of the landscape on the moon. They do want to demonstrate what they have accomplished. I like free and at least we did not pay for this trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 05:08 PM
 
3,900 posts, read 7,390,635 times
Reputation: 5222
Although common sense and logic never convinced them before, this time the "aliens-have-bases-on-the-dark-side-of-moon" crowd will look silly once the pictures are available.

Last edited by davidt1; 01-05-2019 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 PM
 
5,044 posts, read 7,860,486 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It's hard to keep everybody happy all the time! I thought that one of the pictures I saw showed that the rover has moved; but I was waiting for official confirmation. The picture wasn't that great. We'll find out soon enough.

Hopefully they will show the world their superiority with numerous pictures of the landscape on the moon. They do want to demonstrate what they have accomplished. I like free and at least we did not pay for this trip!
The rover is on the move. Here's a link with a photo. The photo is from the Chinese National Space Administration. That's pretty official.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-BBRP2Bh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,670 posts, read 10,924,648 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The rover is on the move. Here's a link with a photo. The photo is from the Chinese National Space Administration. That's pretty official.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-BBRP2Bh
It looks like they are busy tracking up the moon! Pretty soon the moon will look like the hills around Barstow CA (our environmental state)! At least they are off and running. I hope that we have many pictures to follow and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,546 posts, read 1,118,241 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The rover is on the move. Here's a link with a photo. The photo is from the Chinese National Space Administration. That's pretty official.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-BBRP2Bh
It'd better be careful or it'll run off into that crater.

Presumably it's easier and faster to remotely drive a rover on the Moon with an almost 3-second lag compared to one on Mars with an 8-minute or more lag, depending on where Mars is relative to Earth. Or easier than communicating with New Horizons blazing past Pluto with something like a 2 hour lag.

The Russians had a couple nearside rovers back in the '70s, Lunakhod 1 & 2, but they were after the US had several manned Apollo missions under their belt so didn't get a lot of publicity. I think until the Chinese one, they were the only Lunar rovers. They were also the first remote controlled rovers on any other planet or moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top