U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,860,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The far side is similar to the near side. They won't discover anything different unless the instruments they sent are much more powerful then previous instruments sent to the moon, and can look deeper. If that is the case, then looking deeper on the near side will produce the same results. I think they chose the far side for one main reason:

1. To be the first country to explore the far side. It's national pride.

Competition is a good thing. The US space program became strong because we competed against the USSR. Perhaps this new competition will inspire this country to focus our effort and talent on space exploration with the same drive we had before.
I think you're quite right, that a major purpose is for bragging rights in being the first to land on the far side of the Moon. And rightfully so. China is the winner to be the first to successfully land on the far side. But I don't think we can underestimate other objectives. Exploration of what is largely unknown is also a major factor. The imaging is impressive. We've never seen such views directly from the surface before. The rover is equipped to do some worthwhile science. It should be kept in mind that the mission is primarily an initial trail blazing test before committing to a mission with loads of much more powerful equipment. That said, I think it's safe to say there's plenty of equipment onboard to do some science.

From a geological standpoint, the far side of the Moon differs in terms of topography. It's a lot rougher than the near side.

In this link showing the comparison of the far side and near side, you can see the far side has much higher terrain than the near side. While there are certainly plenty of craters on the far side, it appears that it hasn't been disturbed as severely as the near side. Could the minerals on the far side be the same? Maybe, but exploring on the surface can provide far more detail than orbiters can. That's not to minimize the value of orbiters though. Orbiters are excellent for surveying wider areas whether of the surface or below the surface.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...personic-winds
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missi...entine/images/
https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...-the-near-side

Like you, I'd also hope that China's accomplishment will serve as incentive, including the US, to get busy. I think a big part of the stickler for NASA is related to budget constraints. However, it might also provide an incentive for private enterprises and other countries to jump in. That said, it's not likely the rover will be spotting any ruins of McDonald's Golden Arches, or Starbuck's Mermaid. Then again, China may be planning to try to grow potatoes. Would you like a side of fries with your McMoon burger?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techa...mage=AA8lMqC|1

Last edited by NightBazaar; Yesterday at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,118,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I thought no one ever landed on the moon...couldn't get thru the radiation belt??
Too much Alex Jones?

The Van Allen belt is a consideration, but not an insurmountable issue.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I think you're quite right, that a major purpose is for bragging rights in being the first to land on the far side of the Moon. And rightfully so. China is the winner to be the first to successfully land on the far side. But I don't think we can underestimate other objectives. Exploration of what is largely unknown is also a major factor. The imaging is impressive. We've never seen such views directly from the surface before. The rover is equipped to do some worthwhile science. It should be kept in mind that the mission is primarily an initial trail blazing test before committing to a mission with loads of much more powerful equipment. That said, I think it's safe to say there's plenty of equipment onboard to do some science.

From a geological standpoint, the far side of the Moon differs in terms of topography. It's a lot rougher than the near side.

In this link showing the comparison of the far side and near side, you can see the far side has much higher terrain than the near side. While there are certainly plenty of craters on the far side, it appears that it hasn't been disturbed as severely as the near side. Could the minerals on the far side be the same? Maybe, but exploring on the surface can provide far more detail than orbiters can. That's not to minimize the value of orbiters though. Orbiters are excellent for surveying wider areas whether of the surface or below the surface.
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...personic-winds
https://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missi...entine/images/
https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...-the-near-side

Like you, I'd also hope that China's accomplishment will serve as incentive, including the US, to get busy. I think a big part of the stickler for NASA is related to budget constraints. However, it might also provide an incentive for private enterprises and other countries to jump in. That said, it's not likely the rover will be spotting any ruins of McDonald's Golden Arches, or Starbuck's Mermaid. Then again, China may be planning to try to grow potatoes. Would you like a side of fries with your McMoon burger?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techa...mage=AA8lMqC|1
I've never studied the subject and am not a geologist (or maybe it's selenologist?), but as I understand things, the far side has more craters and the near side more smooth areas (maria) because of the thinner crust on the near side allowing more volcanic action that was presumably able to conceal the craters. I'm guessing that's because of the forces of tidal locking.

I remember when the moon was assumed to be about the same on the far side as the near side is, and the first pictures were not what was expected.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Status: "Oh, all right, then: I'm retired." (set 10 days ago)

4,178 posts, read 3,384,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I thought no one ever landed on the moon...couldn't get thru the radiation belt??
I answered this in another thread recently, and provided links for the answer there. They avoid the worst part of the belts when planning a trajectory, and move through the belts quickly. As I recall, the Apollo astronauts who went to the moon were exposed to about half the radiation you'd get during a CT scan.

Last edited by Vasily; Yesterday at 06:11 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I answered this in another thread recently, and provided links for the answer there. They avoid the worst part of the belts when planning a trajectory, and move through the belts quickly. As I recall, the Apollo astronauts who went to the moon were exposed to about half the radiation you'd get during an MRI.
Did you mean a CT scan? MRIs don't use radiation (they're just hell if you're claustrophobic ).

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Did you mean a CT scan? MRIs don't use radiation (they're just hell if you're claustrophobic ).
Sorry, that should have said a CT scan. Corrected. You can look up the original link I provided - too lazy to do it for the third or fourth time in this forum. I've had three or four over the decades, so I've made the equivalent of several trips to the moon.

Old Today, 05:13 AM

6,709 posts, read 4,291,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) has a high-resolution camera in a polar orbit, with sufficient resolution to see the Apollo landing sites in great detail. If there's anything on the far side, it's damn well camouflaged.
The aliens probably designed their base to look like Graceland, so nobody would notice anything suspicious.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,860,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
The aliens probably designed their base to look like Graceland, so nobody would notice anything suspicious.
I remember an old humorous computer game called "Redneck Rampage Rides Again". In one level, Leonard has to find his brother, Bubba, at Graceland which is infested with aliens.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I remember an old humorous computer game called "Redneck Rampage Rides Again". In one level, Leonard has to find his brother, Bubba, at Graceland which is infested with aliens.
There were one or two Aliens vs Rednecks movies, too.

https://youtu.be/l0aa9Xe6ppQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal