Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Children love to repeat words and phrases. "Light as a feather, Stiff as a Board" is that kind of 'cute' phrase that would get their attention. It is also a phrase that would drive parents nuts - which is another part of this 'game'. Sometimes they do repeat phrases and words to become more familiar with them, sometimes they do this to drive parents nuts and sometimes they do this for attention. It is easy to see how something like this started. It is harder to understand why some adults turned this into a belief without questioning.
The chanting is also important to the process. If the person being lifted doesn’t stiffen, engage their musculature, the trick won’t work. Often, the reason it seems like magic, is because the liftee isn’t conscious of engaging his body. As we’re repeating stiffen stiffen, the liftee does stiffen.

Think of a large empty box. You alone can lift a large empty box as a prepared box. Deconstruct the box into a huge flat cardboard piece with a lot of floppy parts that will do what they do regardless of what you want them to do. Much harder to manage.

I just described a janitor’s after Christmas clean up. I had a very large empty box I had to break down, and it took me several minutes of fighting with it. I had to kick out the corners to flatten it, then I had to fold it into thirds to fit it in the dumpster. I fell against the wall once.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The chanting is also important to the process. If the person being lifted doesn’t stiffen, engage their musculature, the trick won’t work. Often, the reason it seems like magic, is because the liftee isn’t conscious of engaging his body. As we’re repeating stiffen stiffen, the liftee does stiffen.

Think of a large empty box. You alone can lift a large empty box as a prepared box. Deconstruct the box into a huge flat cardboard piece with a lot of floppy parts that will do what they do regardless of what you want them to do. Much harder to manage.

I just described a janitor’s after Christmas clean up. I had a very large empty box I had to break down, and it took me several minutes of fighting with it. I had to kick out the corners to flatten it, then I had to fold it into thirds to fit it in the dumpster. I fell against the wall once.
I was not saying the chanting is not important; I was saying is this is how many learned: https://www.thecut.com/2018/06/why-d...s-so-much.html. It is more of a carryover from earliest years. Of course the 'lifters' and 'liftee' bought into the game because they felt the chanting was what worked the 'miracle' and not their physical efforts. And, yes, I can clearly see how the chants caused the subject to stiffen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
A typical 10 year old weighs 70 pounds. If four friends lift her with both index fingers, that's 70/8 = 8.75 pounds per finger. With five lifters, that's 70/10 = 7 pounds per finger. You need at least four people to keep the weight distributed to each finger manageable. I just did these calculations with the power of my mind -- no spirits involved.
Impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That might be the case, but this thread is specifically about levitation in the child's game light as a feather.
Psychokenisis....more so telekenisis observed and documented in children as well as adolescents; usually pertaining to objects.

Supernatural, natural abilities or
mathmatic calculations, agree the latter category accounts for about 99%.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 AM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
I actually agree that at least part of this can be explained scientifically.

I'm not sure that the event is purely paranormal, although I think there is a psychological, and paranormal componant to it

Levitation appears in many religious and spiritual practices. Here, in the United States, there are many people who attend church every Sunday where supernatural events are not only expected, but desired.

There are many North Americans, and others; who are members of the Assemblies of God or the Church of God. These sects believe that congregants can be "slain in the spirit" - touched by a pastor, deacon, elder or other church member, who lays hands on the person, and causes them to fall to the floor. How different is that from levitation?

They also practice "glossolalia" or "speaking in tongues.

I have seen both events with my own eyes, while visiting there churches out of intellectual curiosity.

There have been politicians in my livfetime who are members of such churhes. James Watt, secretary of the interior under Ronald Reagan, and Sarah Palin, former runnning mate of the late John McCain.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
have seen falling to floor in charasmatic services

not getting this topic at all????

Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Light as a feather, stiff as a board is a parlor game, a geek trick. It isn’t levitation in any way shape or form.

The only true levitation I have ever witnessed is some piece of metal suspended with opposing magnets at each end. The metal object — usually a pen — floats in the air.

Or stands straight up like this.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8l_LXQF1Vp8

Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Light as a feather, stiff as a board is a parlor game, a geek trick. It isn’t levitation in any way shape or form.

The only true levitation I have ever witnessed is some piece of metal suspended with opposing magnets at each end. The metal object — usually a pen — floats in the air.

thanks for info first time I heard of this

Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Also, superconducting levitation:

https://youtu.be/umEGUfhVah4

Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:

You can buy all sorts of magnetic levitation 'toys'.

The most useful application that I've seen are mag-lev trains. None in the US that I know of, but they have them in Japan. https://science.howstuffworks.com/tr...glev-train.htm

Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
have seen falling to floor in charasmatic services

not getting this topic at all????
It should be in the conversation, and I am glad that you brought it up. auntieannie68.

Having visited charismatic and Pentecostal churches with all practice faith healing, speaking in tongues, and being "slain in the spirit" - which is the falling on the floor event that annie referenced.
I visited one with a relative. At the time, I had headaches. I went up for healing, at her suggestion. The pastor, and a couple of congregants "laid hands" on me.

I walked up a skeptic. However to my shock, I was slain in the spirit". I fell to the floor and came to a few minutes later.

For the life of me, I have no idea what happened, however I think it is somehow connected to the "light as a feather...." game.

One of the fastest growing denominations in the world is the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal church. Where ever you live, there is probably one within 25 miles of you, and you probably know AG people.

This church, and others like them, have supernatural events at their services on a weekly basis. Are all of these people "making this up"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal