U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 AM

2,059 posts, read 870,854 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading his first 7 books. An amazing amount of info with no repetition. Living in your local area, you may hear of one or two strange cases; reading ALL the books and looking at ALL the cases gives a very different picture.

Quote:
Why would anybody turn to BF and UFOs in an area that has large predators?
Because large predators do not usually swallow people whole, including clothing and backpacks, leaving no trace.

Can you actually watch it on the HC website? It keeps telling me to turn off AdBlock, which I did. Any other way to watch it? I don't have a TV or Roku or anything but laptop and Kindle.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM

4,299 posts, read 3,483,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Can you actually watch it on the HC website? It keeps telling me to turn off AdBlock, which I did. Any other way to watch it? I don't have a TV or Roku or anything but laptop and Kindle.
You have to have an account with a streaming provider (DirecTV, Hulu, Xfinity, etc) to access content on HC. I think the one they're talking about is up on Youtube - at least until HC makes them take it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM

4,680 posts, read 3,008,119 times
Back in July 2013, there was a 39-year-old math teacher from the Lehigh Valley in PA named Matthew Greene who disappeared near Mammoth Lakes, Calif., in the Eastern Sierra Nevadas. I don't think he was actually within a National Park boundary, but really close to Yosemite.

I followed the story when it happened and try and keep up with it from time to time, still no trace of him or his body. I think his parents go out there every summer to look still.

Author to share story of Matthew Greene's disappearance, ongoing search

Matthew Greene - Strange disappearances from U.S. national parks

I never heard of Paulides, but I'm a big National Park nerd and try to follow events that occur in them and the NPS even has an Investigative Services Branch (ISB) and their sole mission is to investigate potential crimes and missing people across the national park system.

The investigative arm of the National Park Service

I always thought, if someone really wanted to dissapear and say kill themselves and never have their body found or make it hard for it to be found, they could easily do it in a National Park or National Forest. I'm not saying all of these missing people were suicidal, but maybe they just got lost or disoriented and became injured.

There was this older lady hiking the Appalachian Trail back in 2013, who supposed went off trail to go the bathroom and couldn't find the trail again and ended up dying (starving to death) in her tent, and her body was found two years later, totally undisturbed in her tent, no animals tried to eat her remains and no Big Foot tried to remove her body.

​Missing hiker later found dead kept journal of ordeal

Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

8,578 posts, read 2,136,241 times
I cannot remember the guys name, but he does readings similar to what Edgar Caycee used to do, he would go into a trance, and have someone ask him questions about various topics, I think he used to a reverend or priest, he has done 1000s of topics over the years, its something to do with the 'Akashic records' (not sure on spelling of that).

I listened to the one he did on Missing 411 and he claimed a small percentage of those missing, were taken by 'those with the gravity controlled crafts' (he didnt refer to them as UFOs), he claimed most were to due to accidents and animals.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM

5,012 posts, read 2,537,679 times
After reading the Missing 411 books, there are a few things I have an issue with. One of the things Paulides talks about are dogs not being able to follow a scent beyond a certain point.

I don't know how they tracked in the old days, but current tracking (within the last 30 or 40 years) isn't a bloodhound following the trail from Point A to Point B anymore.

When a team of dog handlers gets to the vicinity, they'll be assigned sections of the search area to hunt. They take the dogs and go back and forth across their area, allowing the dogs to cast back and forth. These dogs are searching for scent of a person, not following a trail.

It's amazing how they work. I had my brother hide once and sent my own dog out to search for him. My dog passed fairly close behind my brother when he was upwind of him. I then started my dog downwind and within one pass, it was like a giant hand had reached out and grabbed my dog's nose and turned him in the direction to my brother, even though the dog was much further away this time.

At any rate, unless the area is huge, has multiple distracting scents of other people, or has weather conditions against them, going back and forth across a section with a search dog is a pretty reliable way of searching and finding someone. What Paulides says many times is that dogs or bloodhounds weren't able to follow a trail. He never says whether an air scenting search dog was used.

The other thing that is missing is the wild animal angle. Tom Brown, the tracker, mentions a case he had where he followed the trail of a young boy. The boy's tracks merged with the tracks of a cougar and after that, basically, there wasn't really a trail to follow. Large cats can and will carry prey if they have to. I would imagine that after bears and cougars killed someone, there really wouldn't be that much left to find. Clothes can get ripped and trampled into the ground, at which point they look a lot like the ground itself. If you're looking for a bright green shirt and someone's been attacked and killed by a bear, that shirt is going to look like muddy brown earth and could be easily missed.

Other animals will also pick up and carry things. Foxes will pick up a shoe and carry it - who knows why, but it can happen. That's why in about 99% of the cases Paulides I take the "mysterious" factor with a grain of salt.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:38 PM

1,270 posts, read 917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
After reading the Missing 411 books, there are a few things I have an issue with. One of the things Paulides talks about are dogs not being able to follow a scent beyond a certain point.

I don't know how they tracked in the old days, but current tracking (within the last 30 or 40 years) isn't a bloodhound following the trail from Point A to Point B anymore.

When a team of dog handlers gets to the vicinity, they'll be assigned sections of the search area to hunt. They take the dogs and go back and forth across their area, allowing the dogs to cast back and forth. These dogs are searching for scent of a person, not following a trail.

It's amazing how they work. I had my brother hide once and sent my own dog out to search for him. My dog passed fairly close behind my brother when he was upwind of him. I then started my dog downwind and within one pass, it was like a giant hand had reached out and grabbed my dog's nose and turned him in the direction to my brother, even though the dog was much further away this time.

At any rate, unless the area is huge, has multiple distracting scents of other people, or has weather conditions against them, going back and forth across a section with a search dog is a pretty reliable way of searching and finding someone. What Paulides says many times is that dogs or bloodhounds weren't able to follow a trail. He never says whether an air scenting search dog was used.

The other thing that is missing is the wild animal angle. Tom Brown, the tracker, mentions a case he had where he followed the trail of a young boy. The boy's tracks merged with the tracks of a cougar and after that, basically, there wasn't really a trail to follow. Large cats can and will carry prey if they have to. I would imagine that after bears and cougars killed someone, there really wouldn't be that much left to find. Clothes can get ripped and trampled into the ground, at which point they look a lot like the ground itself. If you're looking for a bright green shirt and someone's been attacked and killed by a bear, that shirt is going to look like muddy brown earth and could be easily missed.

Other animals will also pick up and carry things. Foxes will pick up a shoe and carry it - who knows why, but it can happen. That's why in about 99% of the cases Paulides I take the "mysterious" factor with a grain of salt.

It's not that dogs can't follow the scent trail, it's that their afraid to. If you'll read stories about bigfoot sightings, and cattle mutilations, you'll find this is common.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

14,092 posts, read 11,209,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It's not that dogs can't follow the scent trail, it's that their afraid to. If you'll read stories about bigfoot sightings, and cattle mutilations, you'll find this is common.
There are other ways that humans can disappear besides naming creatures that we cannot prove exist. Predators, vultures, buzzards, are just a few. Being lost in a hole, cave, deep canyon, or just deep woods is another way.

One observation that I made when driving truck is that animals, like deer, that are approximately human weight; can disappear overnight on our busy trucking roads. If it is foggy and raining with low visibility and a deer gets hit and the body lays in the trucking lane; it can be turned into oatmeal by morning. There is nothing left to identify it as a deer or a human (if that was the case). The rain is what makes the difference and of course fog helps because drivers do not see what they are running over until it is too late. The rain prevents the blood from coagulating which speeds the breakup of the tissue. I have never seen this mentioned as a cause for a disappearance, but from observing deer carcasses; I think it is very possible that some humans have literally disappeared without a trace. If it is not raining there are pieces left that one could identify as deer or maybe human.

If a human was turned into mush the 'scent' could be spread out for miles. Of course, after a hard rain, there might be no scent left.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 AM

5,012 posts, read 2,537,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I call bs on that. And all Paulides said in his books that dogs would lose the scent, not that they were afraid and stopped.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 AM

14,092 posts, read 11,209,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I call bs on that. And all Paulides said in his books that dogs would lose the scent, not that they were afraid and stopped.
One other way that people can disappear is if they were cremated. Some gangsters were associated with funeral homes and could have cremated the remains of victims. There was one 'stew maker' in Mexico that recently made the headlines: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...-maker-Sinaloa.

I just don't like us looking for unknown explanations when there are many known explanations that could be closer to the truth.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 AM

18,693 posts, read 17,001,801 times
The guy fully researches the facts of the disappearances so he's credible in that context. He's also up front about how secretive and reluctant the park service and federal government are to release information about disappearances which ( understandably) fuels conspiracy theories. Some well off billionaire should put up the millions of dollars the feds want to release the information that they're sitting on.
He presents unusual similarities and coincidence to many of the disappearances and lets reader draw their own conclusions. Instead of Bigfoot, I'm drawn to groups abducting people they encounter alone. Aliens are a possibility. So are black ops, human traffickers, potentially working with the permission of the federal government. I will be watching this show and Paulides is always a great guest on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or