U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM
 
1,270 posts, read 917,524 times
Reputation: 2990

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I call bs on that. And all Paulides said in his books that dogs would lose the scent, not that they were afraid and stopped.

Dogs, if fact all animals, tend to shy away from all things paranormal. Naturally they would lose interest in the scent if they were spooked.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,012 posts, read 2,537,679 times
Reputation: 14797
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Dogs, if fact all animals, tend to shy away from all things paranormal. Naturally they would lose interest in the scent if they were spooked.
Not necessarily. Ghosthunters used a dog for a couple of episodes on their show (although, I kinda call bs on that, too). There are a lot of documented cases where people have said their dog or cat will "look intently" at something, supposedly a ghost, but these animals aren't acting scared.

For what it's worth, I would go over to the house of a friend to work on our dollhouses together every weekend. I turned my head once and saw a dark shadow fly along the wall. Startled (out of my wits), I said something to my friend and she said something like, "Didn't I tell you? We have a ghost in our house."

Anyway, this same friend owns a pug and a Pomeranian, and neither dog has ever acted anything but normal. Or as normal as small yappy dogs can act.

Anyway, again, you're talking about dogs following a trail scent. Most search dogs used today search using air scenting and don't follow a trail. They wear what's called a bringsel on their collars (a piece of leather about 6" long) and when they catch the scent of a human, they'll make contact with that human if they physically can. Then the dogs are trained to take the bringsel in their mouths (or trained to use some other signal) and go back to their handlers. The handler now knows the dog has found someone, may or may not put the dog on a leash, and tells them to "Show me!" At that point, the dog leads the handler back to the person they just found.

A handler and his dog could be searching an area of 10 acres or more. Certainly any ghost won't be floating over the whole acreage. Besides, there have been many people found as well as not found, so not all disappearances are mysterious.

Paulides was focusing on disappearances in national parks. You have to wonder how many disappearances he'd find if he focused solely on cities that had a population over 40,000.

I'm not saying there isn't something that might be going on. And I'm not saying there isn't anything unsettling about some of the cases Paulides brings up. I'm just saying there are far fewer of these mysterious cases than he's posting and that most of them could have rational explanations.

For one thing, if you're going to take a lot of your info from newspaper articles, especially articles from back in the 30s and before, you have to remember how sensationalist and inaccurate newspapers are. In several instances where I've seen what happened or was involved in a story, the inaccuracies are amazing. One reporter called someone's dog a Golden Retriever. It was a Cocker Spaniel. I personally talked to a reporter who wrote a story about a dog show when he stated that the handlers left their dogs standing and walked out of the show ring. Not even close to happening (besides, I was in that ring at that time). He insisted he saw it. What can you say?

My personal opinion on what's happening with some of the Missing 411 cases? I think a giant bird is picking little kids up and dropping them...somewhere, like high on a mountain. Or it's aliens. It's as good an explanation as any other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 02:14 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,801 posts, read 3,104,278 times
Reputation: 2546
Quote:
My personal opinion on what's happening with some of the Missing 411 cases? I think a giant bird is picking little kids up and dropping them...somewhere, like high on a mountain. Or it's aliens. It's as good an explanation as any other.
What is it about ex-police officers that make you doubt their investigative abilities? Paulides went for years not saying what he thought was causing these events, and as I said before in post #9 the national Guard was called out for a couple of them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,092 posts, read 11,209,068 times
Reputation: 10437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What is it about ex-police officers that make you doubt their investigative abilities? Paulides went for years not saying what he thought was causing these events, and as I said before in post #9 the national Guard was called out for a couple of them.
Not that I am a big fan of large birds grabbing our kids, but it a ex-police officer stated he/she did not believe in BF or UFOs; you would be the first to point out they are human and make mistakes. Just because somebody agrees with your point of view does not mean that they are always right.

I also believe there are legitimate reasons to use the National Guard besides BF and UFOs. It could simply be the state did not have the necessary manpower to search large areas of our forest. Sometimes the National Guard helicopters are called out to aid in search and rescue operations like this one: https://www.kcci.com/article/nationa...-teen/20728442.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Washington state
5,012 posts, read 2,537,679 times
Reputation: 14797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What is it about ex-police officers that make you doubt their investigative abilities? Paulides went for years not saying what he thought was causing these events, and as I said before in post #9 the national Guard was called out for a couple of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not that I am a big fan of large birds grabbing our kids, but it a ex-police officer stated he/she did not believe in BF or UFOs; you would be the first to point out they are human and make mistakes. Just because somebody agrees with your point of view does not mean that they are always right.

I also believe there are legitimate reasons to use the National Guard besides BF and UFOs. It could simply be the state did not have the necessary manpower to search large areas of our forest. Sometimes the National Guard helicopters are called out to aid in search and rescue operations like this one: https://www.kcci.com/article/nationa...-teen/20728442.
I keep forgetting to put smiley faces behind my sarcasms.

Do you guys seriously think a big bird is grabbing people in national parks? Well, neither do I. But many people also think it's Bigfoot, or a skinwalker, or what have you. When you don't know what's going on, anything is fair game. It was a tongue-in-cheek bit of humor.

Listen, I also like to believe in ghosts, but I'm still a skeptic and if a better solution than a "ghost" is ever shown to be behind various hauntings, then I'll go with the proven evidence. Same with whatever is happening with missing people. I just figured out a theory and I certainly don't give it the seriousness that some religious people do to some of the more outlandish things they say happened in the Bible. I'm more the type to wonder about strange things than to try to prove what is really going on, so let me have my fun. 'K?

I'm not doubting the guy's investigative abilities. But he himself has said he gets his info from old newspaper clippings and from people who were involved in these things. We know the accuracy of a newspaper article (zilch sometimes) and witnesses aren't always the best ones to ask regarding something that happened (ask any cop who has to interview multiple witnesses regarding what they saw when a crime was committed). Paulides has also said no one keeps records on the people that go missing in national parks and he has gotten only a limited amount of help from government officials.

I think he's done fine as far as he can go, but I think there's still probably a lot of info out there that he hasn't seen. That's not his fault but it might make a huge difference in what really happened.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-09-2019 at 08:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 PM
 
17,835 posts, read 22,891,044 times
Reputation: 32952
the missing 411 cases are unique...if you haven't read the book or listend to paulides...please do ..

sometimes people just seem to vanish.....no screaming, no struggle, no crime,,or blood scene...and no scent trail...

and many other weird factors too...like clothes are put back on the body inside out....they find the body 8 miles away over mountains... most of the time...their shoes are gone … and body is found...in places that's already been combed

david has never said bigfoot was doing this...… then the disappearances led him researching in more urban areas...

he didn't strike out to do this....until two park rangers....knocked on his door and said...something really strange is going on ….
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,092 posts, read 11,209,068 times
Reputation: 10437
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I keep forgetting to put smiley faces behind my sarcasms.

Do you guys seriously think a big bird is grabbing people in national parks? Well, neither do I. But many people also think it's Bigfoot, or a skinwalker, or what have you. When you don't know what's going on, anything is fair game. It was a tongue-in-cheek bit of humor.

Listen, I also like to believe in ghosts, but I'm still a skeptic and if a better solution than a "ghost" is ever shown to be behind various hauntings, then I'll go with the proven evidence. Same with whatever is happening with missing people. I just figured out a theory and I certainly don't give it the seriousness that some religious people do to some of the more outlandish things they say happened in the Bible. I'm more the type to wonder about strange things than to try to prove what is really going on, so let me have my fun. 'K?

I'm not doubting the guy's investigative abilities. But he himself has said he gets his info from old newspaper clippings and from people who were involved in these things. We know the accuracy of a newspaper article (zilch sometimes) and witnesses aren't always the best ones to ask regarding something that happened (ask any cop who has to interview multiple witnesses regarding what they saw when a crime was committed). Paulides has also said no one keeps records on the people that go missing in national parks and he has gotten only a limited amount of help from government officials.

I think he's done fine as far as he can go, but I think there's still probably a lot of info out there that he hasn't seen. That's not his fault but it might make a huge difference in what really happened.
I did not say that I believed in big birds taking children. I look for logical, known, reasons why people disappear first. We have bad people and they are my first thoughts. Then we have animals and some scavenger birds that can strip human carcasses. We also have the possibility of people simply lost and never found. Unusual cases I would suspect human involvement before I would think outside the box.

People have disappeared in our cities and we do not say that BF was responsible.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
2,889 posts, read 1,312,000 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just finished reading his first 7 books. An amazing amount of info with no repetition. Living in your local area, you may hear of one or two strange cases; reading ALL the books and looking at ALL the cases gives a very different picture.


Because large predators do not usually swallow people whole, including clothing and backpacks, leaving no trace.


Can you actually watch it on the HC website? It keeps telling me to turn off AdBlock, which I did. Any other way to watch it? I don't have a TV or Roku or anything but laptop and Kindle.
Not sure what you can do with just a laptop and a Kindle. It's on History On Demand now, so possibly you can get that on your laptop. I just watched it on my television.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,299 posts, read 3,483,269 times
Reputation: 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Not sure what you can do with just a laptop and a Kindle. It's on History On Demand now, so possibly you can get that on your laptop. I just watched it on my television.
Without a cable package that includes the History Channel, here are the options (I think this is up to date):

https://exstreamist.com/how-to-watch...ine-streaming/

I have Playstation Vue which doesn't include History Channel - so to get the new Project Bluebook fictionalized series (starring Littlefinger as Allen Hynek!) I had to purchase a subscription on iTunes. Cheapest option would probably be a Hulu subscription.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 979,191 times
Reputation: 1402
David Paulides was on 'Coast to Coast" last night (1-14-19). He is a regular guest on the show. From what I've heard from him over the years, he does have a lot of research under his belt.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top