U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 877,428 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch the 2-hour special with David Paulides last night? As followers of him are aware, he has been reluctant to give his theory as to what happens to all of the missing people in National parks. Last night he finally divulged the answer, complete with "scientific proof". If you missed the program, I'm sure there will be many reruns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM

10,444 posts, read 12,675,377 times
Im familiar with his Missing 411 series. Some of the cases are strange, but a lot can be attributed to some people simply getting lost, succumbing to the elements. Add ravines, caves and animals and that makes it even easier for a person never being found. People get lost just a few yards off trail. As beautiful as the wilderness is, it can claim people very easily.

Still going to watch this though.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:08 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,559,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Anyone watch the 2-hour special with David Paulides last night? As followers of him are aware, he has been reluctant to give his theory as to what happens to all of the missing people in National parks. Last night he finally divulged the answer, complete with "scientific proof". If you missed the program, I'm sure there will be many reruns.
Thanks so much for this--I just downloaded it and I would have missed it entirely if not for your alert. I really enjoy Mr. Paulides whenever he is on a podcast, I have several of his books, and I'm looking forward to seeing this episode.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Status: "Oh, all right, then: I'm retired." (set 18 days ago)

4,213 posts, read 3,399,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Im familiar with his Missing 411 series. Some of the cases are strange, but a lot can be attributed to some people simply getting lost, succumbing to the elements. Add ravines, caves and animals and that makes it even easier for a person never being found. People get lost just a few yards off trail. As beautiful as the wilderness is, it can claim people very easily.

Still going to watch this though.
A young navy man I'd known since the age of five who was a very experienced hiker went on a day hike alone in a wilderness area in the spring. He never showed up for a longer trek the next day with friends. They ended up having hundreds of first responders and volunteers searching for him, and his brothers went out to aid in the search. It was two weeks before they found him; he had slipped on the trail and plunged 300 feet to his death in a ravine. A hiker happened to notice the fabric of his backpack far below in the dense vegetation, which is the only reason they found him - over two weeks after he disappeared.

People who haven't spent time in the national parks have no idea how wild the countryside can get, and how dangerous it can be.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:14 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,145,167 times
Quote:
What was the title of the program? I missed it and would like to record it when it reruns. I was watching the Dallas/Seattle game.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 PM

1,214 posts, read 877,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
What was the title of the program? I missed it and would like to record it when it reruns. I was watching the Dallas/Seattle game.

Vanished was the title. Here's a link:

https://www.history.com/specials/vanished/full-special

Old 01-06-2019, 08:36 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,145,167 times
Quote:
Vanished was the title. Here's a link:

https://www.history.com/specials/vanished/full-special
Thank you.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:12 PM

74,617 posts, read 66,267,711 times
His answer to some of the more unusual disappearances is simply to say "Bigfoot got them", or he attributes them to UFO activity. I don't find him to be credible.. He's a good storyteller, though. He can be very entertaining, because he uses language and analytical methods from his career as a detective in spinning his stories.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-06-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,061,483 times
He is an ex-law enforcement officer and should be a level-headed individual. He only got into the subject because 2 National Parks Rangers came to see him in his motel room one evening and told him about the 'things which go on'. They should know about what is unusual and what is normal in the parks.

Two of the disappearances he investigated had the National Guard called out at the same time as the other folks searching and they did not interact at all with the Park Rangers or searchers. The fact that the National Guard were called out and involved is strange in itself.

Other people say that there are various types of Bigfoot cryptids, some are more agressive than Bigfoot commonly is reported to be, and those agressive ones are possibly the type which is taking people. Some of the young kids have called the being which took them "Mr Dog" because he looks like he has a dog face. As I mentioned in another thread, some people have speculated that clothing of bright colors are a trigger for attack.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 AM

13,734 posts, read 10,962,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
His answer to some of the more unusual disappearances is simply to say "Bigfoot got them", or he attributes them to UFO activity. I don't find him to be credible.. He's a good storyteller, though. He can be very entertaining, because he uses language and analytical methods from his career as a detective in spinning his stories.
Here is a case that happened in NC back in 2000: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/NeGxstJRsSE. The trucker and truck were missing for two to three months and only found by a nearby resident. If I recall correctly; I believe the State even repaired the guardrails and did not see the truck.

The point is, that if a semi-truck can disappear it is very easy for a human to disappear.

PS I just wanted to add: Why would anybody turn to BF and UFOs in an area that has large predators?

Last edited by fisheye; 01-07-2019 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or