U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM

346 posts, read 187,014 times

Advertisements

The witnesses claim they saw ghosts wearing Victorian clothing, or any period piece clothing. How come we don't hear from them claiming they saw ghosts wearing skinny jeans or emo haircuts, or even bell-bottoms, or Miami Vice clothing with New Wave haircuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM

222 posts, read 36,549 times
I don't know if I'm using the right adjectives, but there is something eerie/romantic/foreign/paranormal about certain eras. The Victorian era certain comes to mind. I always think of those black and white portraits with the cold, dead stares looking back at you. Knowing the reason behind those expressionless faces makes it less scary though. They never smiled, because it took a lot longer to take those pictures, and holding a smile for that long would have been difficult.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I don't know if I'm using the right adjectives, but there is something eerie/romantic/foreign/paranormal about certain eras. The Victorian era certain comes to mind. I always think of those black and white portraits with the cold, dead stares looking back at you. Knowing the reason behind those expressionless faces makes it less scary though. They never smiled, because it took a lot longer to take those pictures, and holding a smile for that long would have been difficult.
They didn't have the same type of dental work available then.
Or braces.
So many never smiled in portraits.

Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM

246 posts, read 52,678 times
I've had supernatural experiences all my life. Very rarely have they ever involved someone in old-timey clothing. lol

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Status: "Oh, all right, then: I'm retired." (set 13 days ago)

4,187 posts, read 3,390,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
The witnesses claim they saw ghosts wearing Victorian clothing, or any period piece clothing. How come we don't hear from them claiming they saw ghosts wearing skinny jeans or emo haircuts, or even bell-bottoms, or Miami Vice clothing with New Wave haircuts?
Resurrection Mary in Chicago is supposedly a ghost from the 1920s and wears clothing from that era:

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/a...on-mary-part-1

The ghost of Clarence Darrow (died 1938) has supposedly been seen on Lake Shore Drive:

Clarence Darrow Memorial Bridge

There are claims of sightings of those who died in the 9/11 attacks:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wei...niversary-news

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

14,629 posts, read 11,827,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I've had supernatural experiences all my life. Very rarely have they ever involved someone in old-timey clothing. lol
pleae tell us more.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 20,023,298 times
Better question: Why do ghosts wear clothes at all?

Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

2,648 posts, read 1,553,611 times
Quote:
Because even when you're dead, you don't want to be seen in something hideous?

But actually last spring I saw a person who had died only a few years ago and he was wearing a simple but perfectly fitted camel's hair sports coat with patches on the sleeves and a silk turtleneck. I know it was silk because he was the father of a friend of mine (whom I had never met and knew nothing about), and when I was emailing my friend to tell him I had seen his dad, I wrote that he was wearing a cotton turtleneck, and the dead guy snapped, "It's silk," in kind of a snotty tone. My friend laughed when I relayed this to him, saying that was his dad to a T, as he was always very particular about the quality of his clothing.

My feeling is they dress either in the fashion when they died, or in something they feel will help them to be recognized for who they were in life. Just as with living people, you can't really just lump them all together. It would have been really weird if my friend's dad showed up wearing Victorian style clothes.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,229,766 times
Quote:
Yeah! I'd love to see Don Johnson floating about. Oh, wait. He's not dead. Yet.

LOL. Laugh of the day thread.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,895,031 times
I think most ghosts that people see, are not clear enough to make out clothing in any great detail. I saw one ghost in a hotel in NH, it was during the night I saw a man who I thought was my husband go around the end of the bed in the direction of the bathroom. I then reached over and found my husband was next to me in the bed. Point is the mad was a dark figure, could not make out any type of clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or