Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

I am a very early riser, around 4 a.m.

sometimes, I hear a noise like a large tri-axel truck idling near by...and it goes on and on, I get up, open the front door, and it's quiet....nothing, go back and sit down and I hear the idling noise again.

Its not every morning, but it does happen a lot.

Also, have tinnitus, but it's a mild form....the only way I can describe that is, it sounds like the metal wheels of a train on the RR tracks....but not nearly as loud...and usually happens towards the end of the day...it's not really annoying, and a totally different sound than the one in the morning?

Has anyone else ever experienced this sound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:16 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Did you ever consider that MAYBE you are simply hearing your blood pumping through your ears when it's extremely quiet? It's especially probable because you have stated that you DO have Tinnitus.

Firstly, you should be checked for high blood pressure, and IMO, you need to have a hearing test done to narrow this down.

Believe it or not, there ARE new modalities to eliminate/control/acclimate a person to tinnitus that's troublesome enough to need intervention.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Since it's in the house and not outdoors (which suggests it's probably not your tinnitus), my guess would be machinery somewhere starting up in the morning, and the vibration being transmitted to your house via bedrock. It could be nearby, or it could be miles away. The other possibility is a vibration in your plumbing due to the amount of water usage early in the morning.

There's a rapping or tapping noise in my living room very early in the morning. When I first heard it, I thought maybe it was someone outside in the hall tapping on a door, but there's no one there when I check. I suspect it's related to the HVAC system turning on in the building or increased water usage as people are showering/preparing breakfast/etc.

If it were me, I'd also report it to your doctor to make sure it's not tinnitus related.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Humidity can and does make a difference with sound. There are days when I can hear large trucks pulling a hill about two miles from my house and days I can hear races going on at the race track nine miles from my house. Sometimes I cannot hear anything. I also have suffered from tinnitus for close to sixty years. But I am not looking for a cure; I do not know who I would talk to without the noise!

Of course wind speed and direction also make a difference. On windy days it is hard to hear any outside sounds.

Then, of course, you have the room acoustics that play a major roll. One area of the house muffles and one amplifies outside sounds.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
I have had a similar condition that I first noticed in 1992 when we moved to a quieter neighborhood, and it has continued all these years even after a move to another state.
I usually compare mine to a sound like the rumbling of an industrial-size air condition system. But your description of a truck idling comes close too.

In 2007, I was tentatively diagnosed - rather my condition was described - as low-frequency spontaneous otoacoustic emissions, which basically means that it's an internal physiologically generated "noise" that is possibly constant but that I normally only notice during very quiet times. I was able to hear it while in an acoustical soundproof booth, with the doctor able - after much trial and error - to mask it by generating a matching frequency.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-17-2019 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Done the same thing, stuck my head outdoor, nothing. I imagine its the fridge or electricity... or the tunnel diggers.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:39 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am a very early riser, around 4 a.m.

sometimes, I hear a noise like a large tri-axel truck idling near by...and it goes on and on, I get up, open the front door, and it's quiet....nothing, go back and sit down and I hear the idling noise again.

Its not every morning, but it does happen a lot.

Also, have tinnitus, but it's a mild form....the only way I can describe that is, it sounds like the metal wheels of a train on the RR tracks....but not nearly as loud...and usually happens towards the end of the day...it's not really annoying, and a totally different sound than the one in the morning?

Has anyone else ever experienced this sound?
Almost every morning. It seems like it’s louder when there is snow on the ground, so initially I assumed it was someone nearby warming up their truck. But you’re right; stick your head out the door & it’s gone.

It can’t be the furnace because the dumb thing isn’t working properly; I’ve been having to go up & down the stairs in the middle of the night to manually switch it on.

I also noticed it after moving here, a much quieter neighborhood; about 4 years ago. BTW; the husband has Tinnitus ... & he can’t hear it.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Funny how sound travels from as far as a mile away. I'm near the river and amtrak. My kichen cabinets vibrate, so I know theres one approaching as much as a mile away, though I cant see it. Same with the tugs boats horns that arent visible or even close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal