U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:01 PM

2,805 posts, read 1,247,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I was a little bored with Ep 3. but maybe it was because I was distracted by other things while it was on. Ill have to rewatch before the weekend is over.
I thought they did a good job when Hynek and the Captain were out in the field, and the UFO flew over. Not sure if that's supposed to be when Hynek became a believer, but after going through everything inside the car, the Captain must now have a hard time covering up for the brass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 PM

I finally got around to watching Episode 4, the one allegedly about Opertation Paperclip, when the German scientists and engineers were brought to the US after WWII. If you're not familiar with all that, Werhner von Braun and I think about 100 top Germans were taken to Ft Bliss in El Paso, but the base actually is in both Texas and New Mexico. It's the site of White Sands, which most people have heard of it. The intent was to allow von Braun and the others to further develop the V-series of ballistic rockets that were causing havoc in London during the war. von Braun and his cohorts were brought to Huntsville to work for the Army at Redstone Arsenal around 1950.

This weeks Project Blue book was loosely based on a UFO siting near Montgomery, Alabama, in 1948 that allegedly affected a Pan Am passenger flight. According to the program Hynek was on the flight, but that was a bit of time movement since Hynek didn't become involved in UFOs until the early 50s.

Since I live in the Huntsville area, and worked on the Arsenal for over 40 years, I know a little bit of the goings on there. Perhaps not in the '50s, but from the '60s onward.

Several things in the program were just wrong. There has never been a rocket launched from Huntsville, and never will be. There's been lots of captive rocket engine tests, up to and including a single Saturn V F-1 engine, the entire first stage of the Saturn V (5 F-1 engines in a cluster), Space Shuttle Main Engines, and many more. But nothing has ever been launched. Also, in the program, they crashed the gate. If they did that now, they'd probably be shot on the spot, or if they managed to get through, their car would be disabled by tire shredders that flip up. The program showed lots of animosity toward the Germans; so far as I know, there was very little of that. The mentioned, and showed, that Huntsville became a "German village" downtown. That never happened. It's also obvious that the program was not filmed in Huntsville. The program really plays up that the scientists, including von Braun, were Nazis, and techincially they were, but allegedly it was only because they had to be. A lot of that is still up for debate. I can say though that of all the Germans I met and knew, they were always nice and helpful to a man, and were truly geniuses. We would not have gone to the Moon and have the space program we have today without them.

I also don't recall Project Blue Book ever being classified Top Secret as the portray in the program. I guess that makes for more intrigue.

In spite of all this, I love the program.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 PM

18,608 posts, read 16,922,141 times
There's a UFO show called "Roswell" that's pretty lame.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 AM

4,270 posts, read 3,449,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I also don't recall Project Blue Book ever being classified Top Secret as the portray in the program. I guess that makes for more intrigue.
As I recall, the existence of the project wasn't top secret, but the incidents under investigation and surrounding documentation were top secret.

It's interesting to read Hynek's criticism of the project in light of the government's role and actions as presented in the series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...39;s_criticism

Old 02-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As I recall, the existence of the project wasn't top secret, but the incidents under investigation and surrounding documentation were top secret.

It's interesting to read Hynek's criticism of the project in light of the government's role and actions as presented in the series:

I wonder if Captain Quinn, a melding of all the military leaders of Project Blue Book, derived his name from Major Hector Quintanella, according to Hynek, the most incompentent of any of the military leaders.

Regarding last night's episode: I've always heard and read about the foo fighter incidents, but I never heard of the AF demeaning and dishonorably discharging the pilots who saw them. Is that factual?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 AM

4,270 posts, read 3,449,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I wonder if Captain Quinn, a melding of all the military leaders of Project Blue Book, derived his name from Major Hector Quintanella, according to Hynek, the most incompentent of any of the military leaders.
Hadn't thought of that - I think it's likely.

Quote:
Regarding last night's episode: I've always heard and read about the foo fighter incidents, but I never heard of the AF demeaning and dishonorably discharging the pilots who saw them. Is that factual?
Never heard of that claim and can't find anything supporting the notion. I think it's likely artistic embellishment.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM

346 posts, read 156,074 times
I think a lot of people (myself included) thought the program would be more a documentary type thing. It is more of a mostly fictional/soap opera/entertainment vehicle, loosely based on fact. I think History hoped this would draw more of an audience, and it probably has. I try to watch it in this light, rather than think "Oh, that is pure BS...never happened that way." I did think the captain's reaction to Von Braun might not have been that far off for someone who just got done fighting the Nazis. A lot of the rest should just be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I think a lot of people (myself included) thought the program would be more a documentary type thing. It is more of a mostly fictional/soap opera/entertainment vehicle, loosely based on fact. I think History hoped this would draw more of an audience, and it probably has. I try to watch it in this light, rather than think "Oh, that is pure BS...never happened that way." I did think the captain's reaction to Von Braun might not have been that far off for someone who just got done fighting the Nazis. A lot of the rest should just be taken with a grain of salt.
Yeah, gotta admit I thought it would be more of a documentary too, and I wish it was. But it's entertaining anyway.

I don't know how much animosity the WWII veterans as a group held for von Braun and the other Germans. When I started work in 1966 as a co-op student, von Braun was the Center Director, there were plenty of the Paperclip Germans around, and I worked with a guy who was a bomber pilot during the war. He didn't have any open hostility toward them, and I rarely heard anything negative regarding them from anyone. I think everybody was just enjoying their work so much in trying to get to the moon.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:36 AM

8,141 posts, read 2,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

Its interesting to me, there are still quite a few things that remain 'classified' from Blue Book, even to this day and age?!!

Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 3,850,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its interesting to me, there are still quite a few things that remain 'classified' from Blue Book, even to this day and age?!!
Yes, and I wonder how much of those cases involved the Soviets, or top secret air force tests ? I would think that while aliens are more fascinating, the facr is some UFOs will forever remain unidentified. Maybe the Air Force does not want to admit that a few cases have no explanation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or