U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 AM

50,131 posts, read 40,522,610 times

Advertisements

I've watched several episodes in the past and yeah, dreary and repetitive.

At some point, it reminds me of Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer" convincing people how fun it is to paint a fence.

There are so many cool, unsolved treasures and mysteries out there but in terms of production costs it's got to be a whole lot easier to just send in a crew to oak island and get a season worth of footage in a short period of time.

Not to mention, treasure hunters that are REALLY on to a hit are going to keep it as quiet as possible until they've cleared it out.

With Oak Island, the truth could be that there was a settlement there ages ago. Storms, tides etc. could have buried it long ago making it seem more like parts of tunnels etc. instead of above ground structures. Still cool, just different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,044,992 times
I tried to explain on another thread about that show 'catch a predator'...these shows, (Oak island included) are NOT real...they are entertainment, the goal is not to find some mysterious treasure, bigfoot, UFOs, predators, etc...its about the process, its entertaining, it keeps people coming back, ultimately that is what makes these shows possible, advertising dollars.

Some people will reply that 'Oh but they did find something once, or they did catch a predator, or some tests did come back as unknown", etc etc, they dont stop to realize thats all part of creating the show, to make it APPEAR to be real.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:32 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,304,042 times
Yeah, IMO any treasure there was got found a LONG time ago, and was removed then and they kept their mouths shut about it. We stopped watching it 3 years ago.

There's nothing left except maybe some little junk here and there. These guys are making their money on the SHOW.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM

1,100 posts, read 617,184 times
On its surface, the subject of the show intrigued me.

Then I watched it. It seems that people have been digging there forever. Add in the cheesy narration, it was unwatchable.

I don't understand the manufactured suspense...the beginning of the program would talk about past activity digging at the hole, then later on in the program they act shocked that they found wood 50 feet underground. Yeah 10 minutes ago you just talked about how people were digging there and the hole was eventually covered up...so what am I missing here?

Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM

569 posts, read 954,456 times
They have found the real treasure of Oak Island - the endless stream of money from the tv show.

My inlaws watch it, so I get to see it every now and then, and they fill me in on what has happened in the ones I missed. Sounds like they were on the verge of being cancelled, since they have actually started "finding" things and are taking a more methodical approach. They still follow the key time filler philosophy: say what you are going to show, show it, then say what you showed; for every clod of dirt they dig up, most of it being a recreation of something that happened weeks ago when the cameras weren't rolling. They make something seem really important, then don't mention it for several episodes. It's mindless, inoffensive, and mostly content-free.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM

776 posts, read 729,378 times
Personally, I cannot stand HEARING about that show. Yes, yes...I am all too familiar with the obvious references to Knights Templar POSSIBLY having been in the region, but...SO WHAT ?

Does anybody seriously believe they would've gone through ALL that trouble to bury the Ark of the Covenant (or the tablets it contained), the cup Christ drank from (at the last supper) or anything of REAL significance, from the rest of the human race ?

If anything, I think that pit is nothing more than a mine-shaft, dug by prospectors, and then abandoned/forgotten by those who dug it, after they & thier offspring died-off.

So then, the only thing remaining to investigate is: what WERE they digging for ? ? ?

But, I seriously doubt there's anything worthwhile to find, down there other than more skeletal-remains.

The Ark is likely either safely tucked-away, and being watched-over by modern-day Jewish priest-hood (as well it SHOULD be !) or buried under multiple tons of collapsed rock, from an as-yet undiscovered/excavated Babylonian temple, anywhere from Syria to Afghanistan...or could even be inside that Khabba-thingy, in Mecca...which the pilgrim Muslims must travel to, and circle around & around, at least once in thier lifetime, before they die...which seems WAY more logical to me, rather than this idea that they are actually kissing/worshipping a 'black meteor' which fell to earth, several thousand yrs ago.

As to the Holy Grail...if it WAS actually made of wood, or ceramic/glazed-clay...it is likely forever lost, to mankind...which although sad, is no great loss...because Christ fulfilled his mission here on earth...and if asked, I am 60/40% sure he'd be rather annoyed that we would be spending so much time & effort focused on 'ancient relics', rather than the wisdom behind the many lessons he taught, while living, walking among our forefathers.

Truly, we have learned NOTHING, from the example he set forth.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM

2,337 posts, read 819,814 times
Re: Ark of the Covenant-- it's documented for all to see on the Arch of Titus in the Roman forum that those golden menorahs & the Ark were carried off to Rome, and no doubt melted down to be added to the Emperor's treasury.
https://www.ancient.eu/article/499/t...of-titus-rome/

Re: the Chalice-- The Holy Grail, of course, never existed. JC & His Posse were poor beatniks. Where were they gunna get some fancy-schmancy goblet? They just passed the bottle of Ripple back & forth like hippies have been doing for eons.

At Oak Island, these showmen did find evidence that sailing ship(s) from the 17th century did visit this crummy little rock in the ocean. Pirates may well have left their treasures buried there in one or more places. Who else was going to stop anywhere in Nova Scotia unless they wanted to get away? If you had a ship & no obligations, would ever go anywhere but stay in the Caribbean unless you had a good reason?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM

1,249 posts, read 903,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's actually all about the sex. Off camera, these guys are mad for each other. The supposed treasure is just an excuse so they can spend time together in carnal bliss.

So that's where the term, "Borehole 10X" came from.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:38 PM

2,770 posts, read 1,926,633 times
Im a little tossed up on it. I do think the treasure has been found, and it wasn't the ark or anything like that. They found human bones at what was it 140 feet? I think Gary is a joke, and Id be willing to bet he plants most of what he finds.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM

4,277 posts, read 3,455,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Re: Ark of the Covenant-- it's documented for all to see on the Arch of Titus in the Roman forum that those golden menorahs & the Ark were carried off to Rome, and no doubt melted down to be added to the Emperor's treasury.
https://www.ancient.eu/article/499/t...of-titus-rome/
The article says it "might" show the Ark of the Covenant. A number of articles I've read says the Arch of Titus shows the temple menorah and the table of shewbread (which always held loaves as an offering) to the right of it being carried off -- it does not include the Ark of the Covenant.

https://newyorkessays.com/essay-arch-of-titus/

The Ark disappears from the Biblical texts after the first temple is destroyed and there's no mention of its fate - which suggests to me that the account of it being hidden in a cave in 2 Maccabees 2 might be accurate. Having spoken at length with Ethiopian friends on the subject, I wouldn't be surprised if Graham Hancocks' account were at least partially accurate - at least the part about it being spirited away to the Jewish community Elephantine Island then somehow falling into the hands of the Ethiopian Christians.

Last edited by Vasily; 01-21-2019 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or