U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM

2,161 posts, read 774,111 times

Advertisements

Anybody following the cable TV show about The Mystery of Oak Island?

I've been following it, more or less, for about three yrs.

I gotta laugh at the narrator who chimes in right before the commercial breaks with his tone & inflection of voice consistent to the point of a comical parody of himself sounding like a bad imitation of a National Enquirer reporter implying some scandal with each observation- "A wood structure? (voice rising mockingly)..On Oak Island? (voice again rising.)...What could this mean? (Oh, Nooo!)"

Each hour long episode only has about 12 seconds of new footage each week. The rest is just endless repetition of what they've shown us before. If you haven't been watching, viewing one episode (any episode) will quickly bring you up to speed with what you missed.

I also have to wonder where they're getting these Millions of bucks to do all these expensive, time consuming (not to mention stupid) test drillings, ground radar explorations and even sending divers down under dangerous circumstances.

Now (I think they're in their 6th season) they're finally wising up and just excavating widely instead of taking small shots in the dark. The way you quickly solve a maize is to start at the end and work backwards, thus avoiding all the dead end mistaken choices inevitably encountered when working in the "right" direction....They knew they had the 5 water tunnels leading to the "Treasure." They should have started there and followed it back to the treasure.

The show does point out some very interesting evidence that Vikings and maybe even Knights Templar visited N. Am. long before Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:55 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,181,011 times
I watched the first 4 or so seasons, then kinda lost interest. I recorded (it's also available OnDemand) and caught up earlier this year, watched the first show this season, and haven't watched the rest. The narrator is, as you say, a little overly dramatic. I think he's the same guy that's on Ancient Aliens and a couple other programs. Overall, it's fairly interesting and better than most programs of the type.

I've found the Oak Island subject interesting for most of my life, much like the brothers on the show have, and many others.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 PM

13,870 posts, read 11,023,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I watched the first 4 or so seasons, then kinda lost interest. I recorded (it's also available OnDemand) and caught up earlier this year, watched the first show this season, and haven't watched the rest. The narrator is, as you say, a little overly dramatic. I think he's the same guy that's on Ancient Aliens and a couple other programs. Overall, it's fairly interesting and better than most programs of the type.

I've found the Oak Island subject interesting for most of my life, much like the brothers on the show have, and many others.
I keep looking for them to find something. It really gets redundant how many times that they repeat that they found a cross or semi-precious stone. It isn't only that but it is the name dropping - I don't care who is on the show; I want to see the results. They repeat their names so many times that I don't know any of them (I don't want to and I could care less).

The history is great. But everything they have accomplished so far could be summed up on one sheet of notepaper! It would read like: We dug a hole and didn't find anything and then repeated many times over - boring! I liked the Treasure Quest: Snake Island better.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:25 PM

1,224 posts, read 885,657 times
Nothing more than a soap opera without the sex.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:46 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,181,011 times
Quote:

I have a feeling that if they ever do find anything, that it'll leak out well before the program is put together. I don't know if they'll do another season or not, but there's no way they're working in Nova Scotia in the middle of winter.

Funding must be coming from somewhere other than one of the brother's private funds. They mention tours, so that maybe be part of the income. But all that heavy equipment has to be really expensive. I suppose some of the personnel time could be donated just to get on television.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:27 PM

6,140 posts, read 3,282,866 times
Quote:
I have a feeling that if they ever do find anything, that it'll leak out well before the program is put together. I don't know if they'll do another season or not, but there's no way they're working in Nova Scotia in the middle of winter.

Funding must be coming from somewhere other than one of the brother's private funds. They mention tours, so that maybe be part of the income. But all that heavy equipment has to be really expensive. I suppose some of the personnel time could be donated just to get on television.
It's a TV show. Which means it makes money per episode. Marty is a businessman. My bet is he's bankrolling the show -- equipment, workers, everything -- because he makes a profit selling the show/advertising/etc. In terms of TV production, it's probably actually pretty cheap.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 PM

7,298 posts, read 12,979,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Nothing more than a soap opera without the sex.
It's actually all about the sex. Off camera, these guys are mad for each other. The supposed treasure is just an excuse so they can spend time together in carnal bliss.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 847,415 times
I've been fascinated with things like Oak Island since childhood but find these sorts of shows pointless and wastes of time. It's like those idiotic 'hunting Bigfoot' type shows, they set up the commercial break with a cliffhanger of some moron encountering something as if they're going to return from commercial and history will be made. We all know that if some monumental discovery were to be made at Oak Island it would've been front and center in our daily newsfeeds, Yahoo news, our local television and national news. We're not going to come back from commercial and see the guy holding golden plates carved with never-before-seen works of Shakespeare bundled with a piece of the actual cross of of Jesus and an alien artifact with a pyramid capped with an All-Seeing Eye. These shows are for the folks who think pro wrestling is real.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 AM

2,161 posts, read 774,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
These shows are for the folks who think pro wrestling is real.

Wait a second! Now you're gettin' personal. You tellin' me it's NOT?

I tape the show and then use the remote to fast forward all the commercials and repetitious parts. It takes me about 10 minutes to go thru an hour long episode.

My guess is that the ex-slave found the treasure 200 yrs ago. He left the island as a rich man after only raising cabbage there for a few years. Is there that much money in cabbage?(voice rising suspiciously) In Nova Scotia?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 AM

13,870 posts, read 11,023,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Wait a second! Now you're gettin' personal. You tellin' me it's NOT?

I tape the show and then use the remote to fast forward all the commercials and repetitious parts. It takes me about 10 minutes to go thru an hour long episode.

My guess is that the ex-slave found the treasure 200 yrs ago. He left the island as a rich man after only raising cabbage there for a few years. Is there that much money in cabbage?(voice rising suspiciously) In Nova Scotia?
Some of it is interesting; but like you point out with your fast forward - not a lot of substance. You could sum up all the episodes with one sheet of CliffsNotes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or