U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM

13,985 posts, read 11,107,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
You don't have to believe me; it won't affect the course of my day or my mood; I'm fine with that. I'm just glad that you are utilizing some critical thinking, instead of not believing me because; "Aliens would be cooler"!
I do see that others have reported large birds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde...(cryptozoology). I don't know. When I was about 12 I had a large turkey vulture fly over my head and only feet away from me. To me that bird seemed extremely large. I was smaller at that time and it surprised me because it came up from behind me and I first saw its shadow on the ground at almost the same time it went over my head. I felt the wind from its wings as it passed over; which further enhanced my 'experience'. I was not afraid; I had my trusty .22 gallery gun and my hunting dachshund/basset for protection (thinking back; could have been the reason the bird was so close). I am just not sure if some of these sightings could not happen because of perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM

4,426 posts, read 2,003,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I remember reading about the airplane in Alasaka and the huge bird sighting. The airplane was a MAULE M-7 .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maule_M-7 The people said it was a big as their airplane.
Yup; I saved the newspaper clipping from Newspaper Archives. the pilot was also the owner of one of those companies that fly hunters into the middle of nowhere. He seemed very credible. That same day there was a report from a utility worker on the ground who saw it fly overhead. He got on his radio to the closest town & told them to bring the children indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
There have been several sightings of large "birds" ranging from S. Texas up to the Great Lakes. This area could have been an ancient migration route for these pterodactyls, thunderbirds, or whatever they might be, and they occasionally pop in and out of a time warp. Far-fetched to be sure, but who knows?
Exactly; the "mysterious 37th parallel" that is the main reporting area for the cattle mutilations is probably just part of a migratory path that starts in the northern Rockies. There is just so much native wildlife in Alaska that they don't have to rely on livestock for an occasional meal, as they may be doing here in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm still thinking of something more like a secret government experiment. The tripod marks could have been from ...a tripod. A big tripod used to lift the cattle by their legs, maybe to weigh them?? The legs were pulled out of socket because they lifted them on the tripod by the legs. The various organs and blood removed because those parts need to be analyzed back at the lab for whatever disease or substance they are experimenting with. Tranquilizing substances and coagulants, or anti-coagulants, present would also tend to lead me to believe that some sort of veterinary experiments were going on. Maybe it was top secret work on weaponizing some sort of virus, and they were testing it on random cattle. Or possibly they were trying to investigate the effects of something (radiation, pollution, chemicals, insects) in that particular environment that would have affected the cattle living there (explains why they didn't just get a bunch of their own cattle over at the CDC facilities). Can't say anything about acid or scorched grass as this is the first I've heard of them. I don't know why there wouldn't be foot prints, though.
But Government agencies have been involved in these investigations. The FBI archived document I linked to references:

Clarence Kelley; director of the FBI, a Senator Carl Curtis (Neb), FBI internal affairs, a Senator Haskell (CO), John Keeney; the Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Theodore Rosack; Special Agent in Charge at the Denver Federal Building, Attorney General Griffin Bell, a Senator Schmidt (NM), the CBI, The New Mexico State Police, a Senator John Ryan (NM), the DOJ, Burkett Von Kirk; Counsel for the Minority Committee of Appropriations, Gerald Hill; Bureau of Indian Affairs, etc ... That is only some of the governmet oficials involved with the investigations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they were doing legitimate testing on cattle, this would be done during the day, no secrecy needed.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do see that others have reported large birds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunde...(cryptozoology). I don't know. When I was about 12 I had a large turkey vulture fly over my head and only feet away from me. To me that bird seemed extremely large. I was smaller at that time and it surprised me because it came up from behind me and I first saw its shadow on the ground at almost the same time it went over my head. I felt the wind from its wings as it passed over; which further enhanced my 'experience'. I was not afraid; I had my trusty .22 gallery gun and my hunting dachshund/basset for protection (thinking back; could have been the reason the bird was so close). I am just not sure if some of these sightings could not happen because of perspective?
In 1977 in Lawndale, Illinois a 70lb, 10-year-old boy was attacked, lifted & carried through the air (then dropped & survived) by a bird the size of what I saw. There were multiple witnesses.

I wish I knew more about perspective; I've analyzed every angle & measurement of my own sighting utilizing aerial photos, Google maps & Google Earth ... the deal-breaker is the tree in the front yard that it cleared. It launched itself very high & the wings were still the span of the roof. I'll dig up some photos here in a bit to show you what I mean (if maps are allowed?).

Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 AM

9 posts, read 4,062 times
In early 1990's I worked for a small county sheriff department east of Denver. We had maybe 3 reports of cattle mutalations.

I went out with the deputies one time to witness a cow. I remember there was no blood, no tracks around and the udder had been cut perfectly with a scalpel and was missing, I think the ears were cut also and the rectum cut out. These were cuts no way done by an animal.

I don't remember that they ever came to a valid closure to these killings. I believe there were more than a few reported out east in ranch country in CO at that time. I do not believe in any kind of UFO, paranormal anything of that sort, a real skeptic...........however, it sure was weird!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:47 AM

10,207 posts, read 10,108,243 times
Giant bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8flmS9zTE

Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM

4,268 posts, read 3,448,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do we know that for sure? It is possible that the farmers that found them felt the attack was at night. But they could have found them late in the day and just took an educated guess. Beside there are wolves, lions, and bears in some of these areas where the attacks take place. You would have to look at each one closely and you could not lump all of them together.
Surprisingly, it turns out black vultures have indeed been observed feeding at night:

https://bioone.org/journals/Journal-...-10-59.1.short

Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 AM

8,111 posts, read 2,025,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imadognut View Post
In early 1990's I worked for a small county sheriff department east of Denver. We had maybe 3 reports of cattle mutalations.

I went out with the deputies one time to witness a cow. I remember there was no blood, no tracks around and the udder had been cut perfectly with a scalpel and was missing, I think the ears were cut also and the rectum cut out. These were cuts no way done by an animal.

I don't remember that they ever came to a valid closure to these killings. I believe there were more than a few reported out east in ranch country in CO at that time. I do not believe in any kind of UFO, paranormal anything of that sort, a real skeptic...........however, it sure was weird!
No tracks around the body debunks the scavenger theory imo, even crows, vultures, etc will leave footprints around the body.

I just wonder if genetic testing has ever been done on the carcasses, or specifically testing the areas that have been cut.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM

4,268 posts, read 3,448,141 times
A few observations about giant birds and the Alaska sightings:

The largest fossil bird ever found had an estimated wingspan of 20-24 feet:

https://www.livescience.com/46679-la...iscovered.html

The largest flying organism discovered so far is I think the pterosaur quetzalcoatlus, with a wingspan of 33-36 feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatlus

However, a flying organism this large is going to have a fairly low body weight (to be able to get off the ground) so it's hard for me to imagine a bird with a 25 foot wingspan being able to lift something like a cow.

The Alaska sightings report a bird the size of an airplane. The problem with estimating the size of flying objects is, you don't know how far away the object is unless it passes in front of something. Stellar's sea eagle, which has an eight foot wingspan and is the heaviest eagle, has been suggested as a candidate for the Alaska sightings. It's a robust bird that feeds on salmon, and is an unusual looking eagle that to me looks a bit vulture-like:

Interesting facts about Steller

Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 AM

10,207 posts, read 10,108,243 times
Bush pilots survive by their wits. A 2000 ft paved runway is an International airport to them. I believe the pilot.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM

13,985 posts, read 11,107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Surprisingly, it turns out black vultures have indeed been observed feeding at night:

https://bioone.org/journals/Journal-...-10-59.1.short

An interesting article; but it made only the one observation of nocturnal feeding. Of course that does not mean that it never happens.

While these birds can be aggressive and appear large, with their almost five foot wingspan; the heaviest weigh less than five pounds. They will not lift and drop cows! They could mob a sick or disabled cow or other large animal.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,244,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yup; I saved the newspaper clipping from Newspaper Archives. the pilot was also the owner of one of those companies that fly hunters into the middle of nowhere. He seemed very credible. That same day there was a report from a utility worker on the ground who saw it fly overhead. He got on his radio to the closest town & told them to bring the children indoors.

Exactly; the "mysterious 37th parallel" that is the main reporting area for the cattle mutilations is probably just part of a migratory path that starts in the northern Rockies. There is just so much native wildlife in Alaska that they don't have to rely on livestock for an occasional meal, as they may be doing here in Colorado.

But Government agencies have been involved in these investigations. The FBI archived document I linked to references:

Clarence Kelley; director of the FBI, a Senator Carl Curtis (Neb), FBI internal affairs, a Senator Haskell (CO), John Keeney; the Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Theodore Rosack; Special Agent in Charge at the Denver Federal Building, Attorney General Griffin Bell, a Senator Schmidt (NM), the CBI, The New Mexico State Police, a Senator John Ryan (NM), the DOJ, Burkett Von Kirk; Counsel for the Minority Committee of Appropriations, Gerald Hill; Bureau of Indian Affairs, etc ... That is only some of the governmet oficials involved with the investigations.

Yes.

In 1977 in Lawndale, Illinois a 70lb, 10-year-old boy was attacked, lifted & carried through the air (then dropped & survived) by a bird the size of what I saw. There were multiple witnesses.

I wish I knew more about perspective; I've analyzed every angle & measurement of my own sighting utilizing aerial photos, Google maps & Google Earth ... the deal-breaker is the tree in the front yard that it cleared. It launched itself very high & the wings were still the span of the roof. I'll dig up some photos here in a bit to show you what I mean (if maps are allowed?).
I remember seeing that incident on a TV program a few years ago, along with some other interesting cases.

I'm not a moderator or any sort of official of the board, but I see no reason that maps wouldn't be allowed, other than maybe the copyright thing, but a link should solve that (I think). I'd be quite interested to see your photographs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or