Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,788,580 times

Advertisements

Both demons/ghosts and extraterrestrial aliens are wrong humanistic interpretations/explanations for a phenomenon that is beyond the human frame of reference and therefore human comprehension. Even the "extra-dimensional being" explanation falls flat because (gifted and properly educated) humans can only come close to understanding other dimensions through the language of mathematics... our brains just aren't built to process the concept otherwise.

To get a feel for what I mean, sit your dog down and have him watch a 3d lesson about ancient Greek philosophy in sign language while your dog is wearing a VR headset ... Not only can the dog not get the highest thoughts of an ancient foreign culture, but they can't comprehend language communicated without sound, a computer recording or the hardware itself and their physiology won't even allow for them to process VR illusions.

Now realize you are the dog in interactions with "them"... that's pretty much why real paranormal experiences are terrifying, nonsensical, huge WTF moments to unlucky witnesses.

Last edited by Chango; 01-29-2019 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:40 PM

102,165 posts, read 107,648,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Orthodox clergy was slaughtered after the Bolshevik revolution, and most churches were closed. Belief was suppressed in schools and Marxism raised up as a sort of state religion. Yeah, Russia did really well after Orthodoxy was suppressed by the atheists.

"We are surrounded by the greens (we pack it to them), we will move only about 10-20 versty and we will choke by hand the bourgeoisie, the clergy and the landowners. There will be an award of 100,000 rubles for each one hanged." -- Vladimir Lenin

A sampler of 20th century Russian Orthodox scientists, engineers, and mathematicians:
  • Igor Sikorsky - engineer, inventor of the helicopter
  • Abram Besicovitch - researcher in probability theory
  • Nikolay Bogolyubov - theoretical physicist and mathematician
  • Theodosius Dobzhansky - biologist, architect of the neo-Darwinian synthesis
  • Pavel Florensky - research on dielectrics, philosopher, mathematician
  • Dmitri Mendeleev - formulated the periodic table of elements
  • Alexander Popov - inventor, developed radio receiver at same time as Marconi
Religion has little to do with any backwardness in the history of Russia. Russia was in large part a feudal culture until the Bolsheviks took over, except for the cities which had been more modernized in the wake of Peter the Great's 18th century reforms.
I wasn't talking about the 20th Century. There were other reasons for Russia lagging behind the west, during the Soviet period. Your post is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Oh well.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:44 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,930,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wasn't talking about the 20th Century. There were other reasons for Russia lagging behind the west, during the Soviet period. Your post is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Oh well.
The article in question was published in 1975 in Fr. Rose's book "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future" - I'm not sure what pre-20th century Russia would have to do with it. And Russia's irrelevant in any case, because Fr. Rose was born Eugene Rose in San Diego CA, studied Eastern religions and languages in college and graduate school, and converted to Orthodoxy in 1962. He was a member of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR) which split from the main Russian Orthodox Church as a result of the Bolshevik revolution. I am a member of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA), which is under the Moscow Patriarchate, but a large percentage of ROCOR and OCA members are not Russian at all. So Fr. Rose is about as Russian as Dwight Eisenhower.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,557,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Both demons/ghosts and extraterrestrial aliens are wrong humanistic interpretations/explanations for a phenomenon that is beyond the human frame of reference and therefore human comprehension. Even the "extra-dimensional being" explanation falls flat because (gifted and properly educated) humans can only come close to understanding other dimensions through the language of mathematics... our brains just aren't built to process the concept otherwise.

To get a feel for what I mean, sit your dog down and have him watch a 3d lesson about ancient Greek philosophy in sign language while your dog is wearing a VR headset ... Not only can the dog not get the highest thoughts of an ancient foreign culture, but they can't comprehend language communicated without sound, a computer recording or the hardware itself and their physiology won't even allow for them to process VR illusions.

Now realize you are the dog in interactions with "them"... that's pretty much why real paranormal experiences are terrifying, nonsensical, huge WTF moments to unlucky witnesses.
I agree 100%.

I think this explains the secrecy in large part, there is just no easy way to have 'full disclosure'...Govt probably knows more than we do on this topic, but since they are human beings, I doubt they grasp the big picture, there is just no way to 'dumb this down' enough for people to understand (even slightly) and/or not create a public panic.

I heard an analogy once that I think best describes this...

Consider fish and aquatic life, their entire world is underwater, that is all they know...they could not comprehend the extensive, complex world that exists right above their heads, even if they were plucked out of the water and got a look around, they couldnt understand any of it. They have NO idea their little world sits right in the middle of a MUCH larger and MUCH MUCH more complex world.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 852,598 times
I always say "It's like trying to teach my cat calculus." That said, I am not sure that Extraterrestrials, etc. are beyond our comprehension. I have never met one in person. I have seen strange vehicles and lights doing maneuvers that are beyond what we would consider physically possible. If one is to believe the accounts of abductees, these beings seem able to communicate with us, and the abductees are able to understand them...so that puts us closer to understanding them than my cat is to ever understanding calculus. If you believe that crop circles are an attempt by ETs to communicate with us, especially the one that seemed to be an answer to information we sent out on Voyager (I think it was Voyager, but maybe Pioneer) then clearly they are understandable by us. Who knows what they are or where they come from or if they even exist at all? If they do exist, and they want to reveal themselves fully to us, I suspect the timing will be entirely up to them. I would be very interested in knowing who they are and what they're up to, but like everyone else, I will just have to wait.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,557,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I always say "It's like trying to teach my cat calculus." That said, I am not sure that Extraterrestrials, etc. are beyond our comprehension. I have never met one in person. I have seen strange vehicles and lights doing maneuvers that are beyond what we would consider physically possible. If one is to believe the accounts of abductees, these beings seem able to communicate with us, and the abductees are able to understand them...so that puts us closer to understanding them than my cat is to ever understanding calculus. If you believe that crop circles are an attempt by ETs to communicate with us, especially the one that seemed to be an answer to information we sent out on Voyager (I think it was Voyager, but maybe Pioneer) then clearly they are understandable by us. Who knows what they are or where they come from or if they even exist at all? If they do exist, and they want to reveal themselves fully to us, I suspect the timing will be entirely up to them. I would be very interested in knowing who they are and what they're up to, but like everyone else, I will just have to wait.
While I believe the majority of UFOs people see today is explained by the link I posted above...I still do believe there are real extraterrestrial civilizations out there too, some may have even come here in the past or present.

In fact, I honestly think Star Wars and other such movies are probably a realistic depiction, in that, there are MANY MANY other civilizations out there, lifeforms of ALL types, sizes and shapes, etc, Some are aware of each other, and some are not, some probably have gone to war or battled with each other at some point too.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 AM

26,751 posts, read 22,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is a fairly long read, but it covers all the bases and does a great job explaining the phenomenon.

SCIENCE AND RELIGION

Thank you for posting a link to this article.
I remember I've read it long time ago, but I couldn't find it since then.
I don't remember all the details of it, except for the description of the religious aspect (of the origin of the UFOs that is.)
I don't have time to go over it in details right now, but I thought the explanations were right on ( IF to remove the atheistic approach to life on Earth all together.)
See, somewhere down the line the Bible is talking about the third of angels (the celestial/starry host or whatever they are called there,) who basically betrayed God, and took off with the Devil.
So it would be logical to guess that this party was responsible for all this "alien" crap, and most likely, the creation of the "counter-race" of humanoids, meant for the replacement of the humankind.

And this would explain the elusiveness of the *aliens,* the description of who/what they are, the contradicting witnesses accounts and so on.

So while the atheists are looking for the "advanced civilizations" existing somewhere within our Universe and arriving to us in their super-duper spaceships, the reality of things might be much more dire. We should probably talk about the "different dimension" ( or rather "dimensions") instead, and whoever exists there, and what this "third of angels ( or demons - whichever you prefer,) got to do with it. Think more in terms of "Star Track" and variety of possibilities may be, rather than "our Universe" as we know it.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
While I believe the majority of UFOs people see today is explained by the link I posted above...I still do believe there are real extraterrestrial civilizations out there too, some may have even come here in the past or present.

In fact, I honestly think Star Wars and other such movies are probably a realistic depiction, in that, there are MANY MANY other civilizations out there, lifeforms of ALL types, sizes and shapes, etc, Some are aware of each other, and some are not, some probably have gone to war or battled with each other at some point too.

Oh I see now you've posted this as well, so I am not the only one thinking in these terms...

Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, now you may have an idea of why Russia has always been behind the West. The standard excuse is the Mongol invasion and dominance of the country for however long it lasted. If that doesn't convince people, WWI and WWII are thrown in for good measure.

Historians say, however, that it was the conservative influence of the Church that has held Russia back, historically. Kinda like how the Catholic Church held Europe back during the centuries of the Inquisition, and how the Buddhist theocracy in Tibet held Tibet way back; the theocracy wouldn't even allow use of the wheel within the borders of the Tibetan heartland.

No Ruth, surprisingly enough, Russians are not ALL THAT backward, as you think.
They are backwards in some ways, but in some ways their mind is actually ahead of time, as if part of their brain is calculating what comes next after the fall of the Western civilization.

There are reasons you see that they never fully subscribed to the "Western ideas" - they always saw the potential pitfalls of it, apparently, things like relations between men and women, or this latest "Western trend" of homosexuality and what's not.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM

102,165 posts, read 107,648,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No Ruth, surprisingly enough, Russians are not ALL THAT backward, as you think.
They are backwards in some ways, but in some ways their mind is actually ahead of time, as if part of their brain is calculating what comes next after the fall of the Western civilization.

There are reasons you see that they never fully subscribed to the "Western ideas" - they always saw the potential pitfalls of it, apparently, things like relations between men and women, or this latest "Western trend" of homosexuality and what's not.
That's not my opinion of Russians; it's their own opinion of themselves. They're the ones frequently excusing their lagging behind the West, by blaming the Mongols, and WWII. Or they used to. Maybe now they throw Lenin under the bus, as well, or the supposed Jewish Conspiracy (aka: Bolshevik Revolution). It's a national syndrome. Maybe that's why Vlad Vladich is so popular; he's devoted his career to Making Russia Great Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal