U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM

12,143 posts, read 16,160,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No need to worry. We have been broadcasting our presence to the universe for sometimes now. Technological aliens, if there are any, can find us the same way we have been trying to find them -- with telescopes. Our next generation telescopes will be able to analyse a planet's atmosphere to look for chemical signatures indicative of energy consuming civilizations.
No worry here. The Drake Equation can only guess at the odds of life in outer space but it cannot determine how much of that life is similar to the fungi that grows on a telescope lens versus how much of it can actually build a telescope. I think most scientists believe the later is more than extremely rare or as you say, if there are any at all.

I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure NASA could have better used the money they spent gold plating a disc with information on Voyager. But then I do understand politics.

At any rate, thanks all for the good brain exercise. It's good to think and wonder about our universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,443,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats the way I see it too, I think even if the aliens sat us down and tried to explain why they have been coming here for centuries, it wouldnt make any sense to us at all, it would simply be beyond our comprehension level, and it would probably create more questions than answers in the process.
For those who like science fiction (other than what we post here ), the great Polish SF author Stanislaw Lem wrote a number of first contact novels that delved deeply into themes of communication with truly alien species: Solaris, The Invincible, Fiasco, and His Master's Voice. All are pessimistic about the prospects -- you can read about them on their Wikipedia pages. There's another, Eden, but Lem didn't think highly of it; he said of Eden "... it is a rather unsuccessful book; its characters tend to be schematic and the pictured universe is a bit flat and one-dimensional".

Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 PM

15,556 posts, read 20,138,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I agree that we have no way of knowing what might motivate extraterrestrial intelligence but what I am suggesting is that maybe we should wonder what characteristics did the organism develop and possess that allowed it to survive to that level? In all the nature that we know, aggression is most always a characteristic that enhances survivability in a normal ecosystem.

So, since it's not likely that any aliens less advanced than humans could find their way across space, and possibly even time, we have to assume any aliens arriving here would be highly advanced biologically and technologically speaking. And if we assume they've developed and survived as a species under regular ecologically competitive conditions, do we really want to show them our front door and invite them into our home without knowing anything about them? I doubt even Spielberg would open his front door to E.T. without first knowing something about its nature.
Any time these discussions come up, I am reminded of the time someone asked a Catholic saint (was it Augustine?) if he would be willing to baptize a satyr. The saint replied, "Find me a satyr, then we'll talk."

Discussions like this are like baptizing a satyr: It's pure speculation. Fun speculation, yes. But speculation. We have no proof one way or the other.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Discussions like this are like baptizing a satyr: It's pure speculation. Fun speculation, yes. But speculation. We have no proof one way or the other.
No we certainly don't. My reason for even jumping into this discussion was a bored mind and my limited knowledge of Roswell and the crash stories.

The one thing I don't believe I have ever shared online though was that I once worked with a fellow in D.C. whose FIL was some sort of a field scientist in NM in 1947. The co-worker had told me his FIL had been interviewed during U.S. Representative Stephen Shiff's investigations in the 1990s. This co-worker and I used to eat lunch together on occasion and we both shared a desire to get out of D.C. and move to New Mexico which is where I had essentially began my career. I made it back to the State but I'm not sure if he did or not. Unfortunately, I don't recall why his FIL was interviewed or even what he told me his FIL's field of study was, possibly paleontology?

It is indeed all speculation and fun and, for me, a few good memories.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 PM

18,581 posts, read 16,905,128 times
There's some pretty good reports that a UFO crashed off Nova Scotia.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post

Yes, Shag Harbor you mean? I've only read about it and only a little.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,233,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes, Shag Harbor you mean? I've only read about it and only a little.
There have been some pretty good television documentaries on the subject. Another is the Kecksburg, Pennsylvania incident.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There have been some pretty good television documentaries on the subject. Another is the Kecksburg, Pennsylvania incident.
Yes. The Kecksburg incident is an interesting story as well.

Old Today, 02:34 PM

2,275 posts, read 803,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Don't tell me-- Oak Island. Right?

Old Today, 02:44 PM

4,265 posts, read 3,443,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Don't tell me-- Oak Island. Right?
No connection at all. Oak Island is in Mahone Bay, 172km north and east of Shag Harbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal