Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:51 PM

994 posts, read 968,129 times

Advertisements

I got on a UFO kick earlier about the UFO festival in Roswell,NM and remember reading somewhere that supposably Roswell is not the alleged crash site. If not then where is the Actual site suppose to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:34 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Best I can tell, "The" crash was actually not far outside of Roswell on a ranch, but some say there was another one some miles away, I think to the north. I suspect Roswell was the nearest town of note so most say that's where it happened.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Not sure about the crash site but the Roswell UFO museum, gloriously named "The International UFO Museum And Research Center", is a blast as long as you don't take it too seriously - campy and cheesy is an understatement. It's like walking into a bad 50's B movie on alien invasions.

It doesn't do a thing to enlighten or convince anyone about the Roswell event connection to UFOs (mostly because almost everyone at this point realizes it had nothing to do with aliens). However it's cheap, it's fun, it's entertaining, and they let my dog in to wander around the grainy pictures, newspaper articles, and life-sized alien spacecraft exhibits. Don't forget to get the Tshirt.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 AM

736 posts, read 456,269 times
IIRC the crash was on a ranch outside of Roswell. Since Roswell was the closest town, it became associated with the event.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:31 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure about the crash site but the Roswell UFO museum, gloriously named "The International UFO Museum And Research Center", is a blast as long as you don't take it too seriously - campy and cheesy is an understatement. It's like walking into a bad 50's B movie on alien invasions.

It doesn't do a thing to enlighten or convince anyone about the Roswell event connection to UFOs (mostly because almost everyone at this point realizes it had nothing to do with aliens). However it's cheap, it's fun, it's entertaining, and they let my dog in to wander around the grainy pictures, newspaper articles, and life-sized alien spacecraft exhibits. Don't forget to get the Tshirt.
Agreed on all counts. The museum is a blast, but don't take it seriously.

That said, you may run into folks that do take it seriously. My former boss took his girlfriend to the museum, and while they were there, there was a guy with a camcorder going around filming things and annoying people. He wanted to interview everyone on camera, and his pick-up line was to walk up to people, stick his camera in their face, and say, "When was your last visitation?"

FYI: The whole UFO Roswell phenomena is a VERY recent craze. When I was growing up in that area, no one knew about the crash, and no one cared. It really wasn't until around the time THE X-FILES became a huge hit that the town started capitalizing on their fame.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
What I find interesting about Roswell, at first, there was no problem with the newspaper printing the headline about a crashed UFO, I imagine some highly freaked out people in the intelligence community at that time were in a panic that day and doing all they could to 'debunk' the article.

Its also curious that 'the Invention Secrecy Act' was created in 1951....strange timing for such a thing.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:39 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What I find interesting about Roswell, at first, there was no problem with the newspaper printing the headline about a crashed UFO, I imagine some highly freaked out people in the intelligence community at that time were in a panic that day and doing all they could to 'debunk' the article.

Its also curious that 'the Invention Secrecy Act' was created in 1951....strange timing for such a thing.
Not that strange when you consider the cold war going strong and the race for better fission and fusion weapons: https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...ogen-bomb-1950.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
It was a different era back then. Real journalism still existed.

Quote:
That whole area was (and still is) full of top secret military research. Roswell isn't all that far from White Sands where the first A-bombs were made, or from Holloman Air Base, which developed lots of top secret aircraft. Back when I was a kid, locals used to see the stealth bomber overhead long before it became public knowledge.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
IIRC the crash was on a ranch outside of Roswell. Since Roswell was the closest town, it became associated with the event.

I believe it was last year they started giving tours to the original crash site. Then it was revealed the site might be in another location. I'd be interested to know what was finally determined. It wouldn't bother me to spend a hundred dollars to visit the site, but I'd want to make sure it was the real McCoy.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:21 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I believe it was last year they started giving tours to the original crash site. Then it was revealed the site might be in another location. I'd be interested to know what was finally determined. It wouldn't bother me to spend a hundred dollars to visit the site, but I'd want to make sure it was the real McCoy.
The second supposed crash site was on the same ranch, a few miles from the first (they make ranches big out west):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...l#slide=425551
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-official.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal