Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The second supposed crash site was on the same ranch, a few miles from the first (they make ranches big out west):

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...l#slide=425551
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-official.html
One would think something as advanced as a space ship from another world would be hardened against electromagnetic pulses ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I've been to the Roswell UFO Museum twice in the past 20 years. The first time was in the summer of 1997 when my family and I were headed down to Carlsbad to see the Caverns from Clovis. We had no idea the city of Roswell was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the crash but we did have the opportunity to meet with Mr. Glenn Dennis at the UFO Museum which he founded.

Somewhere around here I have an alien hat pin Mr. Dennis gave to me as well as pictures of us with Mr. Dennis at the Museum. Mr. Dennis died a few years after that meeting but he was indeed an interesting fellow with a good story.

I tend to believe the military's story about a weather balloon. Having lived in New Mexico for a lot of years and worked as a field researcher in the desert of SE NM for several years, I have personally found, and have been with persons who have found, pieces of old weather balloons.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I tend to believe the military's story about a weather balloon. Having lived in New Mexico for a lot of years and worked as a field researcher in the desert of SE NM for several years, I have personally found, and have been with persons who have found, pieces of old weather balloons.
Why do you suppose that none of the military people recognized the crash debris as a weather balloon when they first saw it? They just carefully collected it and sent it to their superiors.

I suggest the following for background information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4igGGS4VrI

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-02-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It was a different era back then. Real journalism still existed.

That whole area was (and still is) full of top secret military research. Roswell isn't all that far from White Sands where the first A-bombs were made, or from Holloman Air Base, which developed lots of top secret aircraft. Back when I was a kid, locals used to see the stealth bomber overhead long before it became public knowledge.
Yeah, but eventually the stealth bomber became publicly known about, it didnt remain 'experimental/ secret' indefinitely.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why do you suppose that none of the military people recognized the crash debris as a weather balloon when they first saw it? They just carefully collected it and sent it to their superiors.

I suggest the following for background information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4igGGS4VrI
The most logical explanation is usually the correct one...

Roswell, something crashed that was not 'from here', the methods and precautions they took in collecting, transporting and storing the materials are what is to be expected from such a find.

If an aircraft that no one recognized or was clearly not from here, crashed in Times square NY, govt and military would swoop in and do the exact same thing, they would immediately restrict access and begin to collect the debris, transport them to a govt/military location where they can be studied and investigated. Of course they would not permit media outlets to report on this, there would be a 'blackout' on the incident or a cover story would be employed, that is par for the course for such an event.

Sometimes its best that the public NOT know the details.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I've been to the Roswell UFO Museum twice in the past 20 years. The first time was in the summer of 1997 when my family and I were headed down to Carlsbad to see the Caverns from Clovis. We had no idea the city of Roswell was celebrating the 50th anniversary of the crash but we did have the opportunity to meet with Mr. Glenn Dennis at the UFO Museum which he founded.

Somewhere around here I have an alien hat pin Mr. Dennis gave to me as well as pictures of us with Mr. Dennis at the Museum. Mr. Dennis died a few years after that meeting but he was indeed an interesting fellow with a good story.

Weather balloons are pretty well known and recognized, Not many people would confuse them with something that is not from this planet.

In other words, it would be pretty common an easy to spot a downed weather balloon, such a thing would not even make the local news.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Maybe it was a Soviet weather balloon, and the UFO was a CIA smokescreen.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:18 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maybe it was a Soviet weather balloon, and the UFO was a CIA smokescreen.
There was so much secrecy around that time it is hard to say what our government would or would not do to throw foreign agents off track. It is also hard to say what the Soviets would do to get information or pictures of our secure cites. The whole thing could have just been one big disinformation event. Rumors among the military could have been spread or planted about mysterious properties of alien metal, the bodies, or a spaceship and it would spread like wildfire with the troops. Don't forget that we were using our own as Guinea pigs watching the atomic testing. There were different rules and regulations back in the year I was born.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There was so much secrecy around that time it is hard to say what our government would or would not do to throw foreign agents off track. ... Rumors among the military could have been spread or planted about mysterious properties of alien metal, the bodies, or a spaceship and it would spread like wildfire with the troops.
There was a top-secret high-altitude balloon program called Mogul, for gathering data on Soviet nuclear tests. It's been suggested the UFO story was concocted to cover up the crash of a Mogul launch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mogul

This would explain the mixed reports of the debris nature, the secrecy and threats, the scouring by military for bits of debris. From the above article on Mogul:

Quote:
Unlike a weather balloon, the Project Mogul paraphernalia was massive and contained unusual types of materials, according to research conducted by The New York Times: "...squadrons of big balloons ... It was like having an elephant in your backyard and hoping that no one would notice it. ... To the untrained eye, the reflectors looked extremely odd, a geometrical hash of lightweight sticks and sharp angles made of metal foil. .. photographs of it, taken in 1947 and published in newspapers, show bits and pieces of what are obviously collapsed balloons and radar reflectors."

Old 02-02-2019, 05:36 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
And that is a very plausible explanation. The alien story fit right in and no one was the wiser. Thank you for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal