U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM

712 posts, read 95,377 times

Advertisements

OK - I have identified the waterfall based on an extensive Google image search - it's the Serendah Falls, Selangor, Malaysia. So the final option that remains is that the image was edited (or the unlikely event that it is real).

The waterfall does indeed have a history of drowning cases due to undercurrents, apparently.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 02-02-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 01:22 AM

4,397 posts, read 1,987,541 times
I donít find him very evil looking. Ornery, maybe but not evil.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:21 AM

13,940 posts, read 11,070,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
OK - I have identified the waterfall based on an extensive Google image search - it's the Serendah Falls, Selangor, Malaysia. So the final option that remains is that the image was edited (or the unlikely event that it is real).

The waterfall does indeed have a history of drowning cases due to undercurrents, apparently.
OK; I did a search for that waterfalls and came up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiYC82NjRQ. It has many similarities; but it also has inconsistencies. I blew up your picture and compared the two. Of course I took into consideration that the water level changes depending on the rainfall. But the rocks on the right, in that link, do not look like the ones in the picture you posted.

When a person dies do they come back as a waterfall? It think that is stretching it a little.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
OK; I did a search for that waterfalls and came up with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiYC82NjRQ. It has many similarities; but it also has inconsistencies. I blew up your picture and compared the two. Of course I took into consideration that the water level changes depending on the rainfall. But the rocks on the right, in that link, do not look like the ones in the picture you posted.

When a person dies do they come back as a waterfall? It think that is stretching it a little.
The original picture was taken ~2005, and it appears that some kind of plants have grown over the area of rocks that has the skull like appearance since then.

I have done a comparison of the original photo and a later one, with the similarities marked as follows:

Yellow circle: the rocks in between these two minor streams have the same shape/positioning
Blue circle: the minor stream directly left of the main fall is splashing off a rock or something
Orange circle: This appears as the "eye socket" of a skull in the left photo but in that photo one can only see half of said "skull". The right photo shows this area covered with vegetation but the hollow is fairly visible nonetheless.
Differences: The water level is possibly lower in the right hand photo than the left one. Angle/lighting are different. Over a period of more than 10 years there could have been small changes in rock features due to erosion.

Anyway, I think the most likely explanation is that it is indeed an edited picture.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 02-03-2019 at 07:59 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
One way you could easily reproduce it is - create a face in a drawing or painting tool. In Photoshop or a similar program, import the falls photo into one layer, and the face image into a second layer. Place the face layer above the falls layer, and set its transparency so that the water behind it partially shows through. You can also tweak the transparency so that parts of the face are more opaque than others (maybe using a third layer as a transparency mask).

And I have to say, it does kind of look like the face of a P.O.ed kitteh.
I've had a few attempts with these methods, but it was very hard to create the level of detail as seen in the original. The layer method meant you could see elements of both over the same area, and even when making areas more transparent, making the water seem to part for the mouth/eyes was very hard to achieve. Whoever did the editing did a good job!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:08 AM

13,940 posts, read 11,070,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I've had a few attempts with these methods, but it was very hard to create the level of detail as seen in the original. The layer method meant you could see elements of both over the same area, and even when making areas more transparent, making the water seem to part for the mouth/eyes was very hard to achieve. Whoever did the editing did a good job!
My wife used to blow up the pictures. Then she could turn her attention to small details. It all depended on how much time she wanted to spend altering the picture. The kicker is that computers used to come with that software already installed; they used it as a selling point many years ago. Programs like this ArcSoft one were free: https://www.amazon.com/ArcSoft-Funho.../dp/B000HEITNE. As well as HP offered its own free software. Even Microsoft had free software already installed (if I remember correctly). What you could not do with one program; you could do with another program.

Years later the companies decided to sell us all that software instead of passing it out for free with the computer. I guess the big manufacturers, like HP, decided they did not want to pay for the 'extras'. I miss the days where these programs were already installed.

Yes, as far as the picture, it could be simply a difference in vegetation and maybe the angle of the picture.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:39 PM

4,256 posts, read 3,435,433 times
Looking at the original picture (without the face), there are features in the water flow that slightly suggest eyes, a nose and a mouth. The face picture may be an example of pixel editing to enhance features that are already there in the water flow, rather than adding the whole face.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Looking at the original picture (without the face), there are features in the water flow that slightly suggest eyes, a nose and a mouth. The face picture may be an example of pixel editing to enhance features that are already there in the water flow, rather than adding the whole face.
I played around with the image in paint.net and determine that, most likely, editing was performed with a clone-stamp tool, to help facial feature shapes meld into the water effectively. Seems to create the most realistic faces from all the methods I've seen so far.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,290,409 times
18 posts so far, and not ONE mentions Pareidolia? Humans are hardwired to see patterns, and what better "patterns" for them to see but FACES.

https://www.lenstore.co.uk/eyecare/pareidolia-science

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

4,256 posts, read 3,435,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
18 posts so far, and not ONE mentions Pareidolia? Humans are hardwired to see patterns, and what better "patterns" for them to see but FACES.
I not only mentioned it here, I provided links to the Wikipedia article and a compelling example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal