Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I not only mentioned it here, I provided links to the Wikipedia article and a compelling example.
Whoops, somehow I missed it completely. Sorry about that!

Now, what's the name for reading something, but NOT seeing what's REALLY there, only what a person THINKS is there? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Whoops, somehow I missed it completely. Sorry about that!

Now, what's the name for reading something, but NOT seeing what's REALLY there, only what a person THINKS is there? LOL.
I think it's called "being human and fallible". In my case, the excuse I use for everything is, "what do you expect? I'm 72 years old."

I just figured you missed it - most of the time I don't read every post in a thread.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I have a friend that constantly posts photoshopped pics of clouds with the face of Jesus, or smoke that forms the cross, giant sharks about to eat someone, etc. with the WOW! emoji as the message. She even posts pics of jungle birds where someone has changed the colors of the feathers to make them even more exotic looking. Apparently she doesn't understand the ease with which photos can be faked or altered with commonly available software. When I point out that it's photoshopped she just says "But it's so cool!"

To me this looks like a) photoshopped, or b) a chance photo of a momentary pattern in the constantly splashing, changing water that would have only been visible for the fraction of a second it takes to snap the pic and was gone 1/200th of a second later. It could even be a screen grab of a piece of video that was found by searching frame by frame. And yes, pareidolia.

I had a scary image of a man smoking a cigarette who lived in the marble in my shower stall. He watched me every time I showered! And a dog with floppy ears in the stone facade of my fireplace.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a friend that constantly posts photoshopped pics of clouds with the face of Jesus, or smoke that forms the cross, giant sharks about to eat someone, etc. with the WOW! emoji as the message. She even posts pics of jungle birds where someone has changed the colors of the feathers to make them even more exotic looking. Apparently she doesn't understand the ease with which photos can be faked or altered with commonly available software. When I point out that it's photoshopped she just says "But it's so cool!"

To me this looks like a) photoshopped, or b) a chance photo of a momentary pattern in the constantly splashing, changing water that would have only been visible for the fraction of a second it takes to snap the pic and was gone 1/200th of a second later. It could even be a screen grab of a piece of video that was found by searching frame by frame. And yes, pareidolia.

I had a scary image of a man smoking a cigarette who lived in the marble in my shower stall. He watched me every time I showered! And a dog with floppy ears in the stone facade of my fireplace.
One of the buildings I cleaned had luan polyuthaned doors so you could see the grain. I used to wave at the door guys. It was pretty cool, actually.

One of the doors had something that required me to scrape it and thoroughly clean it. Paint or plaster — can’t remember. So I got up close and personal with a face door. These are mass produced cementious centered fire doors. I’ve actually seen how they were made somewhere on tv.

Anyhow on close inspection, it’s more than the grain of the wood. During assembly, the grain was flipped on the strips and that can create a face. Maybe it’s stronger by flipping grains?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
18 posts so far, and not ONE mentions Pareidolia? Humans are hardwired to see patterns, and what better "patterns" for them to see but FACES.

https://www.lenstore.co.uk/eyecare/pareidolia-science
But is it pareidolia if the face is there via computer manipulation? In this case, there is a face there.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
No, there's not a face there. There are 4 black areas in an area of white water. You see it as a face because of pareidolia.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No, there's not a face there. There are 4 black areas in an area of white water. You see it as a face because of pareidolia.
I agree with this completely.

It's not manipulated at all, and there's no "face". We just think we see a "face".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal