U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:29 PM

1,244 posts, read 900,487 times

Advertisements

Earthquakes can cause all sorts of weird sounds and lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 996,665 times
I haven't heard them, but there are tons of posts on our local Nextdoor commenting on hearing them. The majority are during the hours when it's dark. They have been happening all over this county and the surrounding ones, too. It's also been way too warm for the most recent reports for it to be caused by frost quakes. People are saying that things are falling off from their shelves. We just moved here a week ago, so I have no idea whether it's happening here. I have felt the bed shaking on and off for the last 2 months. Enough that it wakes me up and there are no dogs near it bumping into or scratching nearby, so maybe instead of hearing them, I am feeling them? If that's the case, it's been mostly early morning for me, around 4-6 AM.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 PM

13,984 posts, read 11,107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I haven't heard them, but there are tons of posts on our local Nextdoor commenting on hearing them. The majority are during the hours when it's dark. They have been happening all over this county and the surrounding ones, too. It's also been way too warm for the most recent reports for it to be caused by frost quakes. People are saying that things are falling off from their shelves. We just moved here a week ago, so I have no idea whether it's happening here. I have felt the bed shaking on and off for the last 2 months. Enough that it wakes me up and there are no dogs near it bumping into or scratching nearby, so maybe instead of hearing them, I am feeling them? If that's the case, it's been mostly early morning for me, around 4-6 AM.
How could you feel the bed shaking for the last two months when you just moved there a week ago?

Are you in coastal NC or the western mountains? The ground could still be frozen in the higher elevations? Late night/very early morning is the time when it is coldest and the time that many would feel/see/hear frost quakes. If you are by a large body of water you can also hear or feel the ice as it expands and cracks.

During my -8 F degree days I heard my house crack. Not uncommon.

I found this one link that clearly shows that western NC is in the zone of problems: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal.../#2ec2bef16de7

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 PM

4,426 posts, read 2,003,862 times
Oh man; I checked my newspaper archives site (which already has many 2018 publications added) & the booms are happening everywhere. It seems like Pennsylvania, Ohio & North Carolina are getting the lion’s share but they are happening ALL over.

-Mostly after dark; around 10pm seems the most common & 3am-530am is also a frequent time. There were some happening in the afternoon/ morning but those were the minority.

-Mostly nothing is seen but it seems the flash of light is becoming more common.

-The majority of reports where seismic data was inquired about showed no unusual activity but one from Clintonville, Wisconsin in 2012 reported continuous, atypical “shaking” for several days afterwards.

-The “authorities” are clueless but among potential causes; Tannerite (an explosive substance used for target practice), a Meteor, weather related & a sonic boom from aircraft.

In my former neighborhood (the same one where I saw the bird) there were frequent booms. I’m about 4 miles southeast of there now & I don’t think I’ve heard even one here.

One time I was outside & saw a brilliant purple/blue ball rise up over the rooftops to the west & white “lightning” bolts sizzled from the outside of the ball towards the inside & then heard a huge BOOM & it was gone. The next day the fire department told me that an oxygen truck had an explosion which actually did make sense, as there was a hospital storage facility in that direction & oxygen actually implodes, vs explodes; which would explain why the static crackled from the outside in.

And then another time; at about 10 pm I was out front & heard a loud boom from the south. I ran inside & everybody was like; “Did you hear that? What was it?” But nobody had seen anything.

About 20 minutes later, my then 18 year old son gets dropped off by his friends & comes casually strolling in & I was so relieved & asked him “Did you hear that huge BOOM about 20 minutes ago?”

He quickly said “ Wow! Did you guys hear that all the way over here?” & then he realized what he had just “said” because I didn’t say anything & just stood there. Looking at him.

So, yeah; that’s always a possibility as well.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 AM

6,526 posts, read 6,126,869 times
I think they are skyquakes. Skyquakes have been getting officially reported from around the world since at least the early 1800's, sometimes by different names but still describing the exact same type of phenomenon.... thunderous booms and lights. There are very ancient legends about them have come down from indigenous people in all nations and continents, all describing the same thing, so I think they are not an uncommon thing and they are natural and related to climates. I think the only reason there are more and more incidents of them being experienced now is because the global climate is changing so rapidly now and the oceans are warming. I anticipate they'll become more and more common as the climate continues to change. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyquake

Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM

8,111 posts, read 2,025,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Maybe it is related to the recent pole shift? Its happend across a wide area covering different climates.

More far fetched conspiracy theories have pointed at Government testing, Ozzy Osborne's bong exploding or the inhabitants of hollow Earth stirring up. The latter is especially cool to think about but I doubt its true.
Somehow, I think if it were the hollow earth citizens to blame, much more people would be hearing it, and it would probably be the most popular topic for awhile.

Even for those that believe it may be religion related, like the trumpets blasting, well, the bible says all of the earth would hear these things, and there would probably not be any mistaking them for something else, it didnt say just a small number of random people would hear them! LOL

Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
How could you feel the bed shaking for the last two months when you just moved there a week ago?

Are you in coastal NC or the western mountains? The ground could still be frozen in the higher elevations? Late night/very early morning is the time when it is coldest and the time that many would feel/see/hear frost quakes. If you are by a large body of water you can also hear or feel the ice as it expands and cracks.

During my -8 F degree days I heard my house crack. Not uncommon.

I found this one link that clearly shows that western NC is in the zone of problems: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal.../#2ec2bef16de7
I just moved to this specific area where they are commenting on hearing them, but I am in the same state and moved from the mountains of NC. On our mountain house, the deck would pop on the coldest nights, sometimes all night long. We are in central NC now and this where the reports have been, but over the last couple of months, I've felt the bed shaking early in the morning, it's enough to wake me up. That was both in the mountains and in our new house. I have seen many posts from folks in the Asheville area wondering what the explosion they heard is, we never noticed anything that sounded like an explosion, just the shaking bed.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 PM

13,984 posts, read 11,107,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I just moved to this specific area where they are commenting on hearing them, but I am in the same state and moved from the mountains of NC. On our mountain house, the deck would pop on the coldest nights, sometimes all night long. We are in central NC now and this where the reports have been, but over the last couple of months, I've felt the bed shaking early in the morning, it's enough to wake me up. That was both in the mountains and in our new house. I have seen many posts from folks in the Asheville area wondering what the explosion they heard is, we never noticed anything that sounded like an explosion, just the shaking bed.
I did not mean to pick on you; your statements needed clarification - thank you. I believe that map of the affected areas did show that even your Ashville area had soil temperatures low enough to produce the frost booms. There is plenty of scientific evidence that points in the direction of 'frost booms' for this anomaly. People want to look in other directions for an explanation; but that is what humans do.

Back in the 1960's I would drive a heavy old 3/4 ton truck out on one lake to ice fish. Many times I would be out there when the lake produced loud booms or cracks. Of course it always made we wonder if I was in the right place at the right time. But I did get used to it and we did measure the ice before I went cruising. I am sure there are plenty of modern ice fishermen that have heard the loud cracks over and over. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...130-story.html

Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM

I agree that frost booms are totally real. I never heard them when we lived up west of Asheville, just woke up to the bed shaking (and interestingly enough, it didn't coincide with the earthquake we apparently felt last month, we didn't feel it, we were sleeping but a neighbor did). When I lived in the midwest, I'd hear the ice cracking on our pond when we were skating on it, it did sound like a gunshot.

Down where we've moved to, there are 100s of reports of the booms. It's been too warm here for it to be frost booms, but since I haven't heard them, I can't give you any info about them. But I am still feeling the shaking bed even here (different bed than our other place, we haven't moved that bed here), which is odd. There is something causing it, but I sleep hard and haven't heard anything, though the shaking bed has awakened me several times.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 PM

When we used to vacation at Emerald Isle, there would be random booms. Nobody could come up with an explanation. Some said the Atlantic shelf was shifting and honestly that seemed to be pretty reasonable to me. Others said sonic booms from the Seymour Johnson AFB, though they denied it, it seemed reasonable, too. This went back to the 1980s when we were first vacationing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal