U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM

13,982 posts, read 11,107,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
When we used to vacation at Emerald Isle, there would be random booms. Nobody could come up with an explanation. Some said the Atlantic shelf was shifting and honestly that seemed to be pretty reasonable to me. Others said sonic booms from the Seymour Johnson AFB, though they denied it, it seemed reasonable, too. This went back to the 1980s when we were first vacationing there.
In 1956 my parents took me to Philadelphia for a tonsillectomy at the Hahnemann University Hospital. I have no idea why they took me 100 miles from my home. But the night I was down there the building shook from the noise of a grain elevator exploding: Philadelphia, PA Grain Warehouse Explosion, Mar 1956 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods. Now, keep in mind, that our schools were having us practice hiding under our desk in case of nuclear attack back then. I think I quickly got under my bed!

Do you remember if you Emerald Isle booms were during cold weather? In the 50's, while visiting grandparents in Norfolk, we would hear sonic booms from the aircraft. I think that is before they forced the planes to stay subsonic. I have no idea when they changed the rules. The Navy could have been target practicing at derelict ships off the coast as another possible reason. Even the small 'artillery simulators' for the Army could be seen and heard many miles away at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 PM

2,796 posts, read 1,244,794 times
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported hearing the booms around here. I know I haven't heard them. We hear a lot of weapons testing on Redstone Arsenal, so even if there was a "real" natural boom we'd probably just assume it was the Army.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has reported hearing the booms around here. I know I haven't heard them. We hear a lot of weapons testing on Redstone Arsenal, so even if there was a "real" natural boom we'd probably just assume it was the Army.
This year is was about ground saturation for heavy snowfall and melt and then the cool down. The saturated/frozen ground acted just like a frozen lake. With the one exception that it could also produce the light show.

I used to love to play with the artillery simulators during night infiltration drills. They were very impressive and I always wondered how many soldiers were wounded by being too close to one going off?

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
993 posts, read 299,968 times
Another local thing: there's a small shooting range just outside of Vancouver's lower east side operated by Clark County (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.62809,...679&z=18&t=SLB) that's quite popular from the fall to the spring. Depending where you are in the lower east side you can hear the reports for miles. I've heard it clear into western Cascade Park and Landover at times, especially when the winds are from the east.

Old Today, 07:06 AM

3,198 posts, read 1,170,171 times
There are lots of mysterious sounds. Here are a few that scientists take seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...plained_sounds

Old Today, 11:03 AM

1,965 posts, read 996,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In 1956 my parents took me to Philadelphia for a tonsillectomy at the Hahnemann University Hospital. I have no idea why they took me 100 miles from my home. But the night I was down there the building shook from the noise of a grain elevator exploding: Philadelphia, PA Grain Warehouse Explosion, Mar 1956 | GenDisasters ... Genealogy in Tragedy, Disasters, Fires, Floods. Now, keep in mind, that our schools were having us practice hiding under our desk in case of nuclear attack back then. I think I quickly got under my bed!

Do you remember if you Emerald Isle booms were during cold weather? In the 50's, while visiting grandparents in Norfolk, we would hear sonic booms from the aircraft. I think that is before they forced the planes to stay subsonic. I have no idea when they changed the rules. The Navy could have been target practicing at derelict ships off the coast as another possible reason. Even the small 'artillery simulators' for the Army could be seen and heard many miles away at night.
Not in cold weather. I can remember sitting on the beach and on the deck at my parents' place and hearing the booms and I distinctly remember it happening one time when we were playing putt putt. Back then, I only went to the beach in the warmer weather (I've grown older and wiser now and prefer to go in early spring or late fall).

I just learned something new; in coastal NC, they call the mysterious booms "Seneca Guns".
https://www.coastalreview.org/2012/0...oms-of-summer/

Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Not in cold weather. I can remember sitting on the beach and on the deck at my parents' place and hearing the booms and I distinctly remember it happening one time when we were playing putt putt. Back then, I only went to the beach in the warmer weather (I've grown older and wiser now and prefer to go in early spring or late fall).

I just learned something new; in coastal NC, they call the mysterious booms "Seneca Guns".
https://www.coastalreview.org/2012/0...oms-of-summer/
Nice link. The one professor towards the end of that article leans towards naval maneuvers as the answer.

I was jealous of the one woman that owned the seafood business. She had a bag of oysters and I just complained to Campbell's soups why they no longer sold oyster soup! Apparently they had trouble with Korean oysters and recalled their soup several years ago. They have not offered it since and I miss it! I wished that they would just buy some good old American oysters!

Old Today, 01:25 PM

1,965 posts, read 996,665 times
American oysters are probably too expensive.

Back in the 1990s when the Seneca Guns were heard, the military denied it was anything they were doing, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Old Today, 02:01 PM

Quote:
American oysters are probably too expensive.

Back in the 1990s when the Seneca Guns were heard, the military denied it was anything they were doing, but I'm not sure I believe that.
You have many Naval, Airforce, Marine and Army bases in that neck of the woods. Because some test are secrete there is a good chance they would not acknowledge responsibility. Even if it was just training they would probably not want to be blamed or sued and it would just be easier to deny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal