U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,078 posts, read 11,197,051 times
Reputation: 10412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well, if the past is only viewable with no chance of changing it, I have that already in my memories. I don't need to see it again. I don't want to see the future. I want to let it play out. But the topic is really fascinating and got me thinking, If I could change anything, would I?
You don't need your memories; all you have to do is turn on the lower TV channels and watch repeat after repeat. They are in this constant cycle of repeating repeats. Their time is slowing down and eventually will run out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2019, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
869 posts, read 127,108 times
Reputation: 505
Yes. You time travel every time you go to sleep, because you go immediately into the future without remembering what happened in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,672 posts, read 5,883,360 times
Reputation: 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Yes. You time travel every time you go to sleep, because you go immediately into the future without remembering what happened in between.
Should say again that there is no such thing as the future or the past, time is not real. The same atoms made up the Romans & cavemen as make us up today, as made up our solar system at inception. All those atoms have a speed limit on their motion and interactions. THAT is what time is, a speed limit. It's fixed by the nature of space, whatever that is and no one knows because there's no way to observe that fabric. If you found a way to alter space you could move faster than someone in regular space, which is sort of what you do as you approach the speed of light. But going back makes no sense, there is nothing to go back to because you are already there with the same atoms that have just moved somewhere else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,456 posts, read 854,717 times
Reputation: 5015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yes, but only in the future. We are all time travelling right now in daily life, but you can also go ahead of everyone if you go very fast and especially if you approach the speed of light (which is nearly impossible for massive entities such as humans).

Time travel backwards, however, is completely impossible and nonsensical for the simple reason that time is not a real concept. Time, simply put, is the opportunity for entropy to increase. People have been talking backwards time travel for a long time because the equations in Physics work perfectly well with -t

But just because the equations work it does not mean it's something tangible in real life

-gettin' close-- Spacetime is quantized. On the quantum level, where probabilities are the whole story, it is possible to travel to & fro in time. for a single quantum. As you say, all the equations of physics work equally well with + or -t. But on the macro-scale, the quantum jumps are meaninglessly small, and to get a large number of them all going in the same direction at he same time (what's that mean? See below) is so improbable that we caqn consider it impossible, Cf- what are the chances that by virtue of translational energy (ie- atomic movement/temperature) all the molecules of a gas will wind up on one side of a two-connected-cannisters set up at the same time? Not impossible-- but highly improbable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Actually we do have the tech and it has been done. They flew a plane at high speed around the world and when they landed the synchronized watches no longer agreed, people on the ground had aged a second more, so the people on the plane had in fact traveled into the future

That's not an example of time travel-- It's an example of the problem of relativistic synchronicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:44 AM
 
Location: New York City
7,672 posts, read 5,883,360 times
Reputation: 5372
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
-gettin' close-- Spacetime is quantized. On the quantum level, where probabilities are the whole story, it is possible to travel to & fro in time. for a single quantum.
Quantum physics is a good way to measure behavior at a subatomic scale. Probabilistic equations employed here at the macro level help us to understand what is happening at the subatomic level and they do work very well, but if you were somehow able to defy the heisenberg principle and observe all the forces at play, you would find defined structures not governed by probability but instead by fixed force relationships as Einstein believed, "God does not play dice with the universe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That's not an example of time travel-- It's an example of the problem of relativistic synchronicity.
Semantics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 AM
 
8,879 posts, read 4,192,240 times
Reputation: 11348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Should say again that there is no such thing as the future or the past, time is not real. The same atoms made up the Romans & cavemen as make us up today, as made up our solar system at inception. All those atoms have a speed limit on their motion and interactions. THAT is what time is, a speed limit. It's fixed by the nature of space, whatever that is and no one knows because there's no way to observe that fabric. If you found a way to alter space you could move faster than someone in regular space, which is sort of what you do as you approach the speed of light. But going back makes no sense, there is nothing to go back to because you are already there with the same atoms that have just moved somewhere else

The concept of time travel is fascinating and I love many shows and books that are based on it but I have always felt that it was physically impossible for the reasons you state. For a person to go back in time they would have to rearrange atoms in the past to become them instead of what they previously were, which would require some technology to already have been there. To go into the future presumes that everything that is going to happen has already happened. And at times I have felt maybe that is the case, and we are merely watching a movie that has already been produced and time is simply the process at which it is revealed to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Southern Colorado
3,176 posts, read 1,598,796 times
Reputation: 4256
My humble understanding is that travel at greater than the speed of light may turn back time. Time slows as speed increases. Though we may be talking about warp bubbles - a concept that I am not sold on.

I'm both a Trekkie and a mild space enthusiast. Yet I suspect that our manned interplanetary travels may amount to about zilch in my lifetime. We still travel very, very slowly when considering the distances involved. Going to probably need a new technology. That could be three years or three centuries away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,078 posts, read 11,197,051 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
My humble understanding is that travel at greater than the speed of light may turn back time. Time slows as speed increases. Though we may be talking about warp bubbles - a concept that I am not sold on.

I'm both a Trekkie and a mild space enthusiast. Yet I suspect that our manned interplanetary travels may amount to about zilch in my lifetime. We still travel very, very slowly when considering the distances involved. Going to probably need a new technology. That could be three years or three centuries away.
While you were a Trekkie; were you also a Star Gate SG1 fan? The SG1 team used an ancient device that opened up wormholes to far distant planets and they would transport instantly to those locations. Many scientist have theorized about wormholes. If they did exist and humans or robots could transport instantly to far away planets and galaxies; would that not be exceeding the speed of light and would the hands of time not reverse? Of course we have not found any real wormholes to prove or disprove our speculations.

You can watch the original movie and all ten seasons of Star Gate SG1 on Hulu. I liked it better than Star Trek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
 
3,953 posts, read 1,458,623 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Is time travel real?

This question has intrigued me for a long time. What I have come to conclude...traveling to the future? Anybody's guess. Traveling to the past? Yes, with conditions. I've read (in regard to the UFO subject), you can go back but only as a viewer. Impossible to change that which has already happened. Think about it. If you now say something , it is said. Going to the past or future will never change that. If it could be changed, then in reality, nothing is reliable, nothing makes sense and if you mention multiple universes..could be but I am only interested in the universe I am in, not others.
Can you travel back in time and meet your own self when you were a kid? A might as well buy a few google and Apple stocks while you are there, and grab a few powerball winning tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 PM
 
73 posts, read 7,320 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
It became a TV show in 2009. The show was good, the book was better.
of course the book was better-- it was based on the best parts of the tv show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top