Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

I sort of touched on this in another thread on here, when the topic of 'under the bed monsters' came up.

NO, I do not believe in monsters living under beds or in closets!! ( that may surprise some on here though!), but it got me thinking...if people are reporting 'fake' alien, bigfoot sightings...why wouldnt there also be tons of other fake stuff being reported ( in an attempt to get attention or make other people believe it is true).

Ive never once heard anyone seriously try to claim they have had an encounter with a monster under a bed or in a closet..?? but why is that? especially when they think other people will believe them about aliens, bigfoot, etc?...why isnt there numerous websites and forums devoted to people who claimed to have seen monsters under beds at some point in their lives?(like there is with aliens, bigfoot, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 03:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I sort of touched on this in another thread on here, when the topic of 'under the bed monsters' came up.

NO, I do not believe in monsters living under beds or in closets!! ( that may surprise some on here though!), but it got me thinking...if people are reporting 'fake' alien, bigfoot sightings...why wouldnt there also be tons of other fake stuff being reported ( in an attempt to get attention or make other people believe it is true).

Ive never once heard anyone seriously try to claim they have had an encounter with a monster under a bed or in a closet..?? but why is that? especially when they think other people will believe them about aliens, bigfoot, etc?...why isnt there numerous websites and forums devoted to people who claimed to have seen monsters under beds at some point in their lives?(like there is with aliens, bigfoot, etc).
People do report seeing other things, Elvis, family members that were never there, the wrong suspect in a case. Witness evidence is usually not considered that strong. For a monster under the bed or in the closet I think the solution is look under the bed or in the closet. For people that still want to believe they move on to the things they think they do not have to prove.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
"Ive never once heard anyone seriously try to claim they have had an encounter with a monster under a bed or in a closet..??"

I once was attacked by a monster dust bunny with claws under my bed. Or maybe it was my cat. Whatever it was, it was serious.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,127 times
People are making fake claims all the time all over the place especially in this day and age about everything from ghosts, demons. gods, proof of an after life, law of attraction, spirit guides, prayers, magic, aliens and on and on.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM

People that report seeing sea/ lake monsters are a great example of this...there are many reports like this, some going back 100s of years, Lochness is the most popular obviously, but there are a handful of others too, a few US lakes have their own monsters and history of sighting reports...

But there are also plenty of other large lakes and bodies of water, where there has never been any reports or sightings of creatures like this.

I think, in a way, this makes the reported sightings, a little bit more believable, if people were truly just seeing water logged timbers and strange waves, and reporting them as 'monsters'...well, there should be monster sightings in just about every large lake and body of water that exists!

Another good example of this is Bigfoot sightings (to some degree), One of the websites devoted to searching for Bigfoot, there is a national map of the US, that lists all reported Bigfoot sightings using red thumb tacks... majority of the sightings are in a handful of areas, there is a very large part of my state, where there has hardly been any Bigfoot sightings over the years though, this doesnt make sense to me, shouldnt there be lots of these sightings from just about all over the place?

If people are really that easily fooled into believing they have seen a Bigfoot in the woods, why are there many many areas with little to no sightings?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I once went into a dark old cabin at night with pull sting lights. I pulled the string to turn on the lights and I felt something move. The lights came on to show me that I had a bat by the feet; it was hanging on the end of the pull string! At the same old cabin my wife used the bathroom and, as she was getting off the throne, she noticed movement between the bowl and the seat. She lifted up the seat to find out that two bats were clinging to the seat she just sat on!

While bats are not enormous monsters; the little buggers can catch us off-guard. It is not as bad as finding out that you're sharing a sleeping bag or hiking boots with a snake, scorpion or tarantula; but it still rates up there on the scare side! Monsters do not have to be the size of BF to get our attention.

I also believe that humans tend to make our 'monsters' larger than real life. If somebody is in the woods and a deer runs by they do not want to tell their friends they were scared by a deer. It is so much easier to simply say a bear came running after me or I encountered a BF. People do not want to appear weak so they one up the threat. It might be a hold over from the kid that was afraid of their own teddy bear in a dark closet?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I don't believe in monsters under the bed either. Well, okay. When I was little, if I had to get up to use the restroom I would come back to my room, stand in the doorway, hitch my nightgown up & make a heroic leap into my bed. Otherwise, I was sure something would grab me by the ankles & pull me under!

I'm fine now, of course.

Monsters under the bed are imaginary. So are hallucinations. Optical illusions or mistaken identity are simply illusions & not indicative of mental illness.

Then we have our UFOs, Bigfoot & various Cryptids. All who predate their hoax attempts by hundreds of years. Thousands, even. I personally think there is a better chance of their existence than there is of not existing, based on Occam's Razor; not in spite of Occam's Razor.

the law of simplicity. When presented with competing hypotheses that make the same predictions, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions. Hear hoofbeats? Horses. Not Zebras.

If 10 people saw Bigfoot in the same, forested region & they have no history of mental illness & are comprised of all social roles & status ... Say; a retired guy out hiking. A housewife. A businessman on his way to work. A police officer, a nurse, a tourist & his teenage son, a college kid, an 8-year-old walking to the mailbox & an elderly widow on her porch. Now, they all report seeing something that they can only conceive of; as being a Bigoot but nobody got a picture or video. The narrative is that: Bigfoot is not real.

That is ten hypotheses with one assumption (bf is real) to multiple hypotheses (bf not real) without. The naysayers will have multiple rationals: Bear. A guy in a Gorilla suit. A hallucination. An illusion. Imaginary. An intentional hoax.

You now have ten hypotheses (bf is real) to multiple hypotheses with six assumptions. Hallucinations & hoax are out; there is no history of mental illness & no faked evidence. Next, the naysayers invoke the: "if so, then how come ..." debate. How come no DNA? How come no remains? Nothing on Google Earth. Trail Cams ...

Simply put; there are now ten hypotheses (bf is real) with one assumption, versus multiple hypotheses that require six assumptions, two of which are counter-intuitive & an endless gish-gallop of counter-assumptions.

The simpler solution is actually; Bigfoot. Occam's Razor supports Bigoot as real. Occam's Razor would not support ankle-grabbing monsters under the bed.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are people who believe they have seen monsters under the bed:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/...under-the-bed/

I am sure that with any "fake" thing there are countless people who believe they have seen it.

But there are certain things that seem to catch the public imagination more that others. UFO's, ghosts and Bigfoot seem be in that category.

There is a guy called High Register Sean who believes Dog Men live in the woods outside his house. He is a regular caller on the Howard Stern Show.

https://www.howardstern.com/show/201...chs-footprint/

Old 06-20-2019, 03:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
My dad saw something in the woods, when he was 14. He was always careful to say he saw SOMETHING and it LOOKED LIKE a Bigfoot.

This was in the woods of Oklahoma, along the Neosho River. He had been hiking with a friend, but at some point, the 2 went separate ways. My dad was up on a bluff, looking down on the river, and he saw a humanoid SOMETHING hunched down, drinking water from the river. At first, he thought it was his friend, so he called out and waved.

The SOMETHING stood up, looked at my dad (they were fairly far apart), and then turned around and walked away. When it had stood up, my dad saw that it wasn't his friend...and indeed wasn't really sure WHAT it was.

And regarding monsters under the bed...it's almost always small children that seem to experience monsters under the bed. A couple of things are going on. Young children have a really difficult time differentiating between reality and make believe. Often, they can't tell the difference, and they don't even know there's a difference.

So they have a bad dream or a night terror...and they truly believe that a monster is under the bed.

Also, that's usually the age when little kids are transitioning from a crib to a "big boy bed". Also, little ones have a hard time with spatial awareness. It's why littles are afraid they'll get washed down the drain at bath time, or they're afraid they'll get flushed down the toilet if they sit on it.

When they're transitioning from crib to big bed...well, it's easy enough to see under the crib, and know there's nothing under it...but it's harder with a regular bed. It's not as easy to see under it. Combine all these factors...it takes some time.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are people who believe they have seen monsters under the bed:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/...under-the-bed/

I am sure that with any "fake" thing there are countless people who believe they have seen it.

But there are certain things that seem to catch the public imagination more that others. UFO's, ghosts and Bigfoot seem be in that category.

There is a guy called High Register Sean who believes Dog Men live in the woods outside his house. He is a regular caller on the Howard Stern Show.

https://www.howardstern.com/show/201...chs-footprint/
Surprisingly, the Dog-men have been sighted pretty frequently, (its mostly 1 or 2 specific regions of the country though).

Ive read thru numerous dogmen sightings, some of these go back 100s of years too.

Whats strange about those, is that its generally 1 or 2 regions of the country, why are there not people in other states mistakenly thinking they too have seen a dogman in the rural woods in their area?

I hate to say it, but this adds a touch of credibility to the sightings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal