Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 02:42 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

An interesting article. It mentions the psychology of belief; those interested in this might be interested in "American Cosmic: UFOs, Religion, Technology" by D. W. Pasulka - although it deals with UFO belief and how that's reinforced in society, the process she describes also applies I believe to other areas of belief like sasquatch and the paranormal. I think she's onto something.

On a scientific level: back in the mid 1970s when I was allegedly doing graduate work in environmental sciences , one of the ecologists in the department (meaning a scientist who studies the relationship of living things with each other and their environment) had a drawer full of material on sasquatch. He thought there was a good chance there was something to the stories. I thought there was a 60-70% chance sasquatch existed, an unknown primate that had made its way from Siberia to North America via the Bering land bridge. For the reasons you and I have cited, I now place that probability in the range 0-10% -- and probably at the low end of that range. As I've said before, I think at this it's more likely that thylacines have survived in Australia or Tasmania than that there's anything to the bigfoot stories.

It seems we need as a species wildness and the unknown and to make up stories about them -- and the more known the world becomes, the more we need to know there's mystery just over the horizon. Assuming we don't blow ourselves up before then, a thousand years from now inhabitants of outposts on Titan will share stories they've heard about that monster that was spotted a few weeks ago surfacing in Kraken Mare.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You really think a 9 ft biped is any match for a 5 ft soldier with a machine gun? What benefit would there be to "weaponize" a Sasquatch???
I did a search for "bigfoot with a machine gun"; sure enough:

NFA Myths

Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Correct.

Do you think sailors could keep captured topless women a secret for more than 5 seconds?

In what country exactly? In the West, the "teachings of the Church" are openly mocked and derided in politics and entertainment on a daily basis.

You really think a 9 ft biped is any match for a 5 ft soldier with a machine gun? What benefit would there be to "weaponize" a Sasquatch???

Oh come on. I was having some fun with the subject matter. But as to weaponiznig I was referring to the seemingly undefeatable cammo ability. A "weapon" need not go BOOM to be a weapon. Nice point about sailors and topless women.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:10 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Correct.

Do you think sailors could keep captured topless women a secret for more than 5 seconds?

In what country exactly? In the West, the "teachings of the Church" are openly mocked and derided in politics and entertainment on a daily basis.

Billions of dollars in the whole new industry of weaponizing. We would sure jump on the chance of a soldier that can carry about 300 lbs and jog 15 mph for hours on end and smell the enemy coming a mile away .etc etc

Old 04-04-2019, 05:30 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Cool stuff! I hope they use it! Have they used it? That article was from 2017 ... Now I need to go look some stuff up ...
Here is another link you can check out: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ctual-science/. It stated in that link: "Neil Gemmell, a geneticist at the University of Otago, proposed sequencing DNA from Loch Ness, the lake in Scotland where a well-known mythical sea monster is supposed to live (or to have lived at some point). The project is set to officially start this month, when Gemmell’s team will begin collecting water samples." I am curious how that project turned out?

I did watch a televised research expedition looking for the Yeti where they collected snow samples from the footprints as well as small stream runoff water looking for signs of the Yeti. Of course all came back showing bear or, in the one case, a mountain ram that was not supposed to live in that part of the world or at that altitude.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:17 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I did a search for "bigfoot with a machine gun"; sure enough:

NFA Myths
Nice find!

Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Billions of dollars in the whole new industry of weaponizing. We would sure jump on the chance of a soldier that can carry about 300 lbs and jog 15 mph for hours on end and smell the enemy coming a mile away .etc etc
All of which will be done with drones in the next 20 years. Drones you don't have to feed or shampoo or de-louse and don't litter the field with Bigpoop.

Mark my words: The Terminators are coming!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Im not sure of the details on this, but I recall reading about a test the FBI did years ago, on some material that supposedly come from a sasquatch, ( I believe it was hair or skin), and the results came back as unknown.

Im going to try and find where I first read that, If I recall, there was more to the story...does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 04-06-2019, 04:44 AM

663 posts, read 433,180 times
Default Bigfoot Crossing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJ5OzvD4ds

Bigfoot Crossing ..The department is getting creative, complete with actual "bigfoot crossing" signs and social media posts encouraging neighbors to tag them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
All of which will be done with drones in the next 20 years. Drones you don't have to feed or shampoo or de-louse and don't litter the field with Bigpoop.

Mark my words: The Terminators are coming!
Also, Boston Dynamics has been developing two legged and four legged military robots:

Military Robots

Who needs weaponized bigfoot? Kill all Humans!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal