U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:43 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,599,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Halos are pretty cool. Within the family of halos, there's a thing call a "sun dog" caused by the refraction of sunlight by ice crystals in the atmosphere, those are also really neat. I saw a bunch of those when I worked down in Antarctica.
A beautiful set of arcs and sundogs:

Anthelion | theWeather Club

Another favorite of mine is ice pillars - saw these once in northern Illinois over 30 years ago when it was very cold:

https://fox17online.com/2015/01/14/i...esday-morning/

And seeing a crown flash is on my bucket list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPk0mKVnnCs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 01:45 PM

4,041 posts, read 7,657,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

At this point, I think most folks understand that there are projects by various governments that have amazing capabilities. That equates to burn-out for some interested in the "unexplained" part of the phenom.
I hope I am wrong, but I think we may have hit a plateau. Space companies and NASA still use rocket technologies based on what we used in the sixties. Space travel is still insanely expensive and dangerous. If there are amazing secret technologies, wouldn't some have made it into the hands of NASA to solve the cost and safety issues? I don't see any indication of that. Every space tech they have today is an incremental improvement over what they had before -- very good for sure but not out of the blue amazing.

My point is: there are no alien and amazing secret human technologies.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:20 PM

19,351 posts, read 13,991,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
Pretty sure about that? Maybe "impossible" to our level of knowledge, but there could be alien civilizations out there amongst the Billions of stars in the Billions of galaxies, who have millions or even billions years head start on our civilization. They could have overcome their biological limited-lifespan bodies, and created fleets of Billions of interstellar or intergalactic craft, flying everywhere in the local Universe, in the Billion years of time.
It's a matter of physics, not life-span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Imagine how many SR71 flights got reported as UFO's over the years.
None. SR-71s don't over-fly the US, and they don't fly backwards, or vertically. In the two incidents in 1985 and 1986 I'm aware, the spacecraft flew backwards, and also changed altitude while horizontally stationary. That's not what aircraft on Earth do. The one in 1986 disappeared from radar and visual contact with NATO aircraft in the vicinity of Strausburg (France just due west of Kaiserslautern, Germany) then reappeared west of Soesterberg Air Base in the Netherlands where it blew by four Dutch and US F-4s heading out toward the North Sea.

That puts its speed in the neighborhood of 20,000 to 25,000 MPH, which is not something Earth aircraft can do, either.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:05 PM

247 posts, read 98,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's a matter of physics, not life-span.
I'm sure you are aware of time dilation in Relativity? The formula is SQRT(1 - (v/c)^2) so if a craft were to travel at 99.99999999999% of the speed of light, the time dilation would allow travelling from the Andromeda Galaxy to here in 1 year and a month.

Quote:
None. SR-71s don't over-fly the US, and they don't fly backwards, or vertically. In the two incidents in 1985 and 1986 I'm aware, the spacecraft flew backwards, and also changed altitude while horizontally stationary. That's not what aircraft on Earth do. The one in 1986 disappeared from radar and visual contact with NATO aircraft in the vicinity of Strausburg (France just due west of Kaiserslautern, Germany) then reappeared west of Soesterberg Air Base in the Netherlands where it blew by four Dutch and US F-4s heading out toward the North Sea.

That puts its speed in the neighborhood of 20,000 to 25,000 MPH, which is not something Earth aircraft can do, either.
Yes, this is the common thread among all legitimate UFO sightings, their ability to make these instantaneous changes in direction, and accelerate to incredible rates of speed. Commonly without making any sound at all, certainly no sonic boom which would be expected.

Technology to do this, is totally beyond our current knowledge. Even the Physics underlying such motion is hard to understand, because the forces involved in such extreme maneuvers would kill any living thing, and rip apart any aircraft structure humans have built. So, these things, if they exist, cannot be of this Earth.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 PM

8,753 posts, read 2,818,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-ufo-sightings

Are aliens losing interest in us, or are we losing interest in aliens?

It’s an interesting topic whether you’re a believer or a skeptic. In the decades after WW2 there were thousands and thousands of reports of UFOs. Now, all I see are clearly hoaxes. I’ve not seen a plausibly authentic UFO video in years, despite the fact that virtually everyone in the developed world walks around with a video camera with them.

I’ve seen some footage from years past that makes me really wonder about this issue, but the lack of sightings in recent years does make me suspect it might really be a socio-cultural phenomenon that has become a thing of the past. But if that’s true, it means every UFO photo and video is a hoax.

The other, wildly different theory would be that aliens were interested in us after we displayed the use of nuclear weapons, and now that things have appeared to have settled down, they have moved on.

People have become too engrossed in taking selfies and viewing those from others, to pull their eyes away from their screens and to look upward. Many of them don't even look left and right and step out into traffic, with their noses buried in their smartphones.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 3,159,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1
Every space tech they have today is an incremental improvement over what they had before -- very good for sure but not out of the blue amazing.
Yes - thats what certain people would have us believe.

However, if you read Colonel Coso's book The Day After Roswell you will realise that what the army did was to find trusted companies working on similar or associated projects and 'inject' the high technolgy into those companies. This would look like we had developed these from scratch but actually we had had a massive leap in technology given to us by the kids from the future.

Back-engineered gravity drives also (as well as moving through water and land) bend light around objects which means they can become invisible to most people looking at them(unless you are standing directly underneath them). This technology would appear to have been implemented if there are fewer UFO sightings. However, we still have flocks of birds which fall dead and dying from the sky (having just run into one of these invisible craft) which suggests that they are still around but just not visible to us.

Now what we need is some kind of filter which makes them visible to our cameras once again.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:40 PM

6,545 posts, read 1,640,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-ufo-sightings

Are aliens losing interest in us, or are we losing interest in aliens?

It’s an interesting topic whether you’re a believer or a skeptic. In the decades after WW2 there were thousands and thousands of reports of UFOs. Now, all I see are clearly hoaxes. I’ve not seen a plausibly authentic UFO video in years, despite the fact that virtually everyone in the developed world walks around with a video camera with them.

I am still waiting to view the "authentic UFO video"? You have seen it, show me the link.

But seriously a decline in UFO sighting could be for lots of reasons. Things get in the public consciousness and then go away. Does not prove anything regarding whether or not they are real.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 PM

6,545 posts, read 1,640,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Could it be that when people report UFO sightings, they no longer
use the traditional ways and instead post them on youtube and
facebook and other social media? Sightings do no seem to have
decreased in Central and South America.

They are talking about people reporting to a couple of websites that are specifically geared towards this sort of thing they are not talking about what is reported on the TV news.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:08 PM

5,893 posts, read 6,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am still waiting to view the "authentic UFO video"? You have seen it, show me the link.

But seriously a decline in UFO sighting could be for lots of reasons. Things get in the public consciousness and then go away. Does not prove anything regarding whether or not they are real.
Id prefer for this thread to not become a debate about the authenticity (or lack thereof) of specific evidence. We could start a separate thread on that if there isnt one already. Im just generally interested in theories as
to why there has been a steep decline in UFO sightings, regardless of whether one thinks they are real or not.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 PM

4,497 posts, read 3,599,076 times
It's not the first time since WW2 that UFO reports have declined for an extended period of time. From EurUFO:

Quote:
As it is known, the number of UFO sightings is not constant: since 1947 there have always been richer years (the so-called “UFO waves”, eg. 1950, 1954, 1973-74, 1978, 1985, 1997, 2001, 2004-05, 2009-10 in Italy) followed by others very poor ones (eg. 1955, 1981-82, 1991, 1998). Over time, various hypotheses have been made of correlations between the number of UFO reports and other physical phenomena (eg. proximity to the planet Mars) or sociological phenomena (eg. economic crises), but none has been substantially confirmed.
(source)

In other words, no one has come up with a convincing explanation of the boom/decline phenomenon. I think Jacques Vallee has done statistical analyses of the wave phenomenon but I can't remember which of his books deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal